Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid Question But...

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Why can't this be a private forum? Meaning if you don't have a handle etc then you can't view it.  

Edit: I know sans a handle you can't comment etc. I'm saying No Handle & you can't even view. I say Why Not.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I don't think corporate will go for it. I think they want any and all perspective buyers to come here and see how great this forum is. Some people for whatever reason want to stand in the shadows and look without joining or participating in any way. 

I like your idea, but the voyeurs will win in the end.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I like some sites that have a private section.  There is an open to all side and  members only side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    It probably could but one of the things that so many people mention about this site is the about the ability to lurk.  Many are afraid of making a fool of themselves not knowing the nature of this site.  I don't post many of my cooks because many would be the same ones that others have done over and over.  Even if I don't post mine there are ithers still out there willing to post them. If it is something different I put it on here.  Once people see what the site is about many are regular contributors.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @johnkitchens Ya I get it but, not everything here is egg related. Understand. It would keep lookyloo's in the dark (keep em in the dark and feed em **** like a mushroom). Maybe I just feel non contributors don't belong. Forum cleansing :fearful: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    As a newcomer to the egg. I don't post much, I'm trying to learn more than anything, until I get the EGG of of it. Lol. I don't see why they couldn't have private threads, but I think most people are fine with the public forums. Now I have a stupid question. What's an ABT?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Atomic Buffalo Turd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @jabam use the search feature or just Google common abbreviations. There are a bunch. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Ok now I need the recipe,sounds like something my buddies would enjoy. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Why do you want to do that, Blake? BGE isn't about to restrict anyone. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Actually, I think it is not private/is public.  Many times my cookie deletes and I'm logged off - but can see all the posts just fine.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jabam said:
    As a newcomer to the egg. I don't post much, I'm trying to learn more than anything, until I get the EGG of of it. Lol. I don't see why they couldn't have private threads, but I think most people are fine with the public forums. Now I have a stupid question. What's an ABT?
    More on ABTs:
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/09/tailgate-heroes-abts.html

Note I don't think there is really an official ABT recipe and there are multiple variations on what you stuff in the pepper.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jabam Same same search ABTs and a bunch will pull up. 
    Simple one»»» cut the jalapenos lengthwise into boats and deseed to remove heat (unless you're into extreme heat) and then rinse under cool water. Use 1 box of Philmy Cream Cheese, a lil chipotle mustard, lil Worcestershire and wrap with bacon. Egg raised direct or indirect 375℉ish until bacon crisps. There are hundreds of more ways to do them (get creative). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I'm all in with making it as open-access for lurkers/wannabe's etc.  Not everyone is ready to dive into the deep end right away.  I found the "original site" well before I bought a BGE and that helped drive my decision.  And I don't believe corporate would ever endorse limitations.  Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q Michael there is a lot of info both cooking and personal here. I'm not donning an aluminum foil hat I'm just saying some filtration to non members wouldn't be horribly off base. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I lurked for months while reading about the BGE, then joined and asked a few questions, and got responses that convinced me to buy an egg.

Corporate would be crazy to hide it, it is a great way to get real world experiences about the egg.  If this was not an open forum, I would never have spent $1000+ on a "charcoal grill"

Reading about cooks, and seeing the picks of food, even if there is a fork, is better than any marketing they could do.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Why? This forum is a good marketing tool for BGE. I bet I lurked for three plus years before ever signing up. I am still fairly new posting but have been learning here for years. Why would corporate, or members here for that matter, want to make it private? I don't understand why you would want to to be exclusive instead of inclusive. What am I missing?
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I don't think corporate will go for it. I think they want any and all perspective buyers to come here and see how great this forum is. Some people for whatever reason want to stand in the shadows and look without joining or participating in any way. 

I like your idea, but the voyeurs will win in the end.  
    I agree, but it would be nice to have a chat room for members only like other sites.  I too lurked here before buying
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Wowens interesting.  I knew nothing about this forum until after I had already purchased my first egg. I found it in a Google search or something like that. Saw a couple of OT posts that had me in stitches and some cooking posts that made me drool. That was all she wrote & I signed up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't know this site existing for the first five years of owning my egg. Bought lump direct from the mothership (and a second egg). Been there a fair number of times. Never was this site mentioned to me. They do not promote this site in their store. I happened upon this site, checked out a few cooks, and then joined because I don't like being a lurker. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I also lurked for months before I bought my egg.   I suspect it is pretty common.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I found the forum a day or so after I bought my first egg. I registered right away, but I am a forum type of guy. No standing in the bushes for me. 

• WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm a new member, but must admit I have been lurking and I think I know what Blake is talking about lots of information that isn't relevant to people that are just checking out what the BGE can do.  But I must say I do like the social aspect to this forum.  I finally joined and look forward to contributing some of my cooks for some of the great feedback to help me on the path to get me where I want to be cooking on the BGE.

1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    There are more of these guys out there than I realized. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm an advocate of sharing information.  Plus, it keeps people in check (from going total d-bag), although some people are just going to expose their inner psycho anyway, the public exposure makes them possibly pay for it.
    Options
    @WyBBQer welcome aboard.

@johnkitchens my my my this sure drew out some lurkers. 

@nolaegghead True Dat!  We all go full on DB once in a while. :innocent: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nevermind.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    WyBBQer said:
    I'm a new member, but must admit I have been lurking and I think I know what Blake is talking about lots of information that isn't relevant to people that are just checking out what the BGE can do.  But I must say I do like the social aspect to this forum.  I finally joined and look forward to contributing some of my cooks for some of the great feedback to help me on the path to get me where I want to be cooking on the BGE.

Welcome. Thanks for joining even if you were shamed by Blake  =)
  • WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Thanks for the welcoming.  I sure do and have enjoyed all your post.
    @DoubleEgger Thanks, Blake sure does carry a big stick =) Maybe it was just from one of his Orange trees that he was going to use for smoking ;)
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @WyBBQer Is the Wy Wyoming? 
  • bi11fish
    bi11fish Posts: 36
    Options
    "A closed system is more prone to resist incorporating new ideas, that can be deemed unnecessary to its parent environment and risks atrophy."

Had I not been able to view and get information from this site it is very likely I would have purchased a competitors kamado grill.