Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which BGE accessory has been a game changer for you?

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    blakeas said:

John,

I am in the same boat as you - I am not able to use the Egg as much during the week due to kids dinner, homework and bathtime.  So I need a way to get the egg up and going quicker.  What is the High que grate and where can I get one?  any others to make it easier to use?  And why does an AR help?    I have cooked ribs, pork tenderloin, wings, beer can chicken and with exception of the wings I am not sure how an AR can help?  maybe I don't have the vision?

I purchased the High Que grates from Amazon. Here is the link, http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES

I don't have an AR. I have two larges so I just light both of mine if I don't have room on one of my eggs for everything. The AR can help if you only have one egg, or only want to use one egg, and have to cook more than you have room for. 

It also helps if you want to cook raised direct and not use your plate setter. Are you having any specific issues with your cooks? We will all be glad to try and help you. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @blakeas how are you lighting your egg and what lump are you using? I am only asking to help you with time management. 

I will get blasted for saying so, and I don't care, but if you are using Royal Oak or BGE lump (the same thing) you are wasting a lot of TIME waiting for the VOC's to burn off. 

Also if you are using starter cubes to light the egg you are spending even more time waiting on the lump to light and come up to temp. 

I was using a heat gun, but a month or so ago I switched over to a Mapp torch to light my lump. I switched to Rockwood a long time ago. 

Now when I get home from work I can light my lump and will be at my cooking temp in just a matter of minutes. With Rockwood I don't have to wait for VOC's to burn off. 

It works for me, and isn't that what this is all about? Enjoying it and doing what makes you happy. 

Side Note:  I am not a BGE or Royal Oak or any other lump basher. I don't care what anyone else uses. It doesn't affect me in the least. I am just stating that from my own personal experience Rockwood works better for me. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    About the High-Que allowing small pieces of lump to fall:  Don't worry about those pieces going to waste because it's hot enough on the bottom of the egg to burn them.  Their heat energy is still used.  Maybe you lose some small pieces left over when you scrape the ash out, but that seems like a good trade-off for the enhanced performance.
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Thanks John, just thinned my wallet....again.  High que is on the way
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Adding the medium changed my game. Using a MAP torch to light, I get the egg to 350 degrees in 5 minutes or so. Using it virtually every night because it heats up so quickly. As far as accessories, I'd say the wok ring and pizza stone. Allows you to cook a larger variety of food so you don't get burned out on smoked meat. Hoping the Stoker I ordered this morning will be the ultimate game changing accessory. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
     I liked the hi-que. kick ash kills two birds with one stone IMO 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    For me it is the Maverick. I used to constantly go out to check the temp. I mean every fifteen minutes I would be checking, that is just my personality. With the Maverick, I can just glance at it ever now and then and be happy. I really like having both cook and grate temps. I now kinda wish I had gotten the 733 instead of 732 but am happy with it for now.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks John, just thinned my wallet....again.  High que is on the way
    Looking forward to hear what you think - I've been on the fence for a while now.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There are a few that I feel really enhance the performance of the egg. The Rutland gasket and the High Q Grate come right to mind. Also any way to go indirect is a must. I have a Woo and plate setter that gets 90% of the indirect work. It's simple, fast and very easy to use. Also have a AR R&B combo. I use it for special setups. The Rutland gasket, High Q Grate and a good indirect setup really elevate the egg to a whole new level.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Goose4u said:
    What's a woo?
    Bookmark this site:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The High-Que grate for MBGE was a game changer. No more wiggle rods. Fire comes up to temp fast and stays where you set it. 
    @blakeashttp://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--9-dia_p_19.html
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATraveller
    Options
    3 rectangular shaped balls of foil approx. 1 1/2" tall each placed on leg of plate setter puts the grid at felt level.  Cheap and as effective as a Woo.  Thermapen is a must.  DigiQ is awesome for L&S.  May have to spring for a high Q grate.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks. Didn't know this existed. I have a XL. Do you recommend the XL woo2 adjustable rig combo?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Goose4u said:
    Thanks. Didn't know this existed. I have a XL. Do you recommend the XL woo2 adjustable rig combo?
    I don't have either,  yet. I and most here would say, call Tom, tell him how you normally cook and buy what he tells you. He's well known here and will not sell you something you don't need. 
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    @blakeas how are you lighting your egg and what lump are you using? I am only asking to help you with time management. 

I will get blasted for saying so, and I don't care, but if you are using Royal Oak or BGE lump (the same thing) you are wasting a lot of TIME waiting for the VOC's to burn off. 

Also if you are using starter cubes to light the egg you are spending even more time waiting on the lump to light and come up to temp. 

I was using a heat gun, but a month or so ago I switched over to a Mapp torch to light my lump. I switched to Rockwood a long time ago. 

Now when I get home from work I can light my lump and will be at my cooking temp in just a matter of minutes. With Rockwood I don't have to wait for VOC's to burn off. 

It works for me, and isn't that what this is all about? Enjoying it and doing what makes you happy. 

Side Note:  I am not a BGE or Royal Oak or any other lump basher. I don't care what anyone else uses. It doesn't affect me in the least. I am just stating that from my own personal experience Rockwood works better for me. 

I have been using FOGO but just ran out 2 weeks ago - I started using RO again but am trying to justify the cost of the Rockwood.  Just haven't pulled the trigger.  I am using starter cubes as I didn't want to buy one of those plug in chargers.  didn't think they were real user friendly.  I want to be able to use my egg quickly as you describe so I guess I need to buy the rockwood? secondly - which torch light do you suggest?
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    oh and doesn't that High que grate have a problem with small pieces just dropping straight through it?  Why is a high que really a valuable accessory anyway?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    3 rectangular shaped balls of foil approx. 1 1/2" tall each placed on leg of plate setter puts the grid at felt level.  Cheap and as effective as a Woo.  Thermapen is a must.  DigiQ is awesome for L&S.  May have to spring for a high Q grate.
    @GATraveller ... think I know what you're saying with the foil, but why not simply rotate the plate setter 60 degrees and place it on the elevated part of the fire ring?

With the plate setter on the raised flats it is the same as a Woo for the cooking portion, but it's not as handy for removing the plate setter/drip pan/grill in the middle of a cook to add lump, smoke wood, etc.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    the Kick Ash basket .. cleanup in a jiffy and superb airflow!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    blakeas said:

I have been using FOGO but just ran out 2 weeks ago - I started using RO again but am trying to justify the cost of the Rockwood.  Just haven't pulled the trigger.  I am using starter cubes as I didn't want to buy one of those plug in chargers.  didn't think they were real user friendly.  I want to be able to use my egg quickly as you describe so I guess I need to buy the rockwood? secondly - which torch light do you suggest?
    I am not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US and not in California you can order Rockwood from Firecraft.com for $21.95 per bag with free shipping if you order $99 or more of anything on the site. 

Justifying the cost of Rockwood is simple. You already bought an Egg. You can get a $20 grill and cook your food, but you wanted something better and you got it. After the big investment of purchasing the Egg don't deprive yourself of not using the lump you want to in order to save a few bucks. That is my opinion anyway.

I bought this torch at Home Depot:

Here is a link to it on the Home Depot site. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS8000KC-Premium-Torch-Kit-336638/205683985?N=5yc1vZbqmd

It works great for me. 

• johnkitchens
    Options

blakeas said:
    oh and doesn't that High que grate have a problem with small pieces just dropping straight through it?  Why is a high que really a valuable accessory anyway?
    The small little pieces will drop through. They will burn up and be mixed in with the ash when you clean it. These are the same little pieces that would clog up your existing charcoal grate. 

Why is is valuable? Because it allows your egg to get to your temp super fast. It allows for so much more airflow. For me it is valuable because it is a time saver. I can cook quicker and keep the wife happy! 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist you are correct. The Big Green Egg is Awesome, but this Forum is the best accessory an Egger could have. Thanks for reminding me how valuable this place is.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • GATraveller
    Options
     I mean, sure I have to put up with people like @johnkitchens but I can overlook that. 
    You're a bigger man than me.......   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Alcohol. ...changed my liver and vision.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Damn, has anybody said this forum?  It was probably the ultimate accessory for me. I wouldn't even know about half the stuff I own for my egg if not for this place. I mean, sure I have to put up with people like @johnkitchens but I can overlook that. 
    You know how it is. There is always a little negative with a positive. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @henapple- changed bacon for most of the egghead community. 

Little Rock, AR

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Going with the HighQue for all the stated reasons. It really did increase my grilling. The mini is roaring hot in 10 minutes. But I also wouldn't give up my Maverick; it's an OCD's dream. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Jeepster47
    In your above comment I did not "disagree" with you. Must have hit the button while scrolling. I have corrected the error. My apologies.  For the record, I have never hit "disagree" on anyone intentionally. Even when I don't agree with what is said I do not use the disagree button. If anyone has a disagree from me it is accidental. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.