Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any experience with the mini max?

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
As my fiance reminds me daily, we have had only three meals off the BGE XL, (I know, but she knew I am OCD, [and it is fueled by wine] before she proposed, or demanded we get married, can't remember exactly) I now want to study the mini max for mobile eggery.
Anyone have any insight to share on realistic capabilities?
Any help would be appreciated.
Allow the wisdom to Flow!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I have one but haven't really tried to go mobile with it yet.  I'm sure Blake will comment here any minute...

It's heavy with everything in it.  I can pick it up by myself but I used to street-fight rabid gangs of Austrian dogs for a living.  For sure it can be done with two people, and the handles make that relatively easy.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I think we need to address the usage  (the lack there of) of the XL before moving forward to the MM. Not trying to discourage you but, what makes you think you'll use it more than your neglected XL. That boggles my mind....3x?  How long have you owned the XL?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    13" grid great for small cooks. Weighs in at 60+ pounds, not to heavy to move around.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mobility of the MM is perfect and very manageable. We love ours and probably use it at least 3-6x per week. That on top of using the LBGE. It's worth the coin. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I do a tremendous amount of camping. Usually we find a interesting yet remote area to do backpacking, hiking and mountaineering. With the XL I kind of learned how wonderful these things are. I know I can't take it with me when I go on these 3-4 day trips, so I was thinking the BGE MM might just be the ticket when we set up base camp.
    i just did my fourth meal in 8 days of ownership, and I am sooo spoiled now.
    Gretchen, my BGE XL, will get plenty of use, we have a huge wedding reception coming up and she will be smoking her guts out for that, plus I plan to cook on her every freakin' meal I can.
    I did a teriyaki glazed, dry rubbed, peach smoked,pork tenderloin, it was awesome.
    After a day of hiking, packing, a great meal, bottle or two of wine and a campfire makes life a bit nicer, don't you think?
    Just want to get data and evaluate the investment.
    if these things made wine like they cook food........I promise, nobody would ever hear from me again.
    Thanks for the input.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Great combo with large. But traveled tonight to friends house. 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We got ours right after Christmas and have used it quite a bit.  We have a large as well.  The MM is ready to go in 15-20 minutes and is so easy to dial-in.  We will be camping with it this coming season.  We really like it.  We did get it with the plate-setter and it works great with the grill. Have cooked multiple steaks, pork loins, chicken and salmon.  All were great.