Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate maintenance

Options

Comments

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Everybody has their release limits @johnkitchens
    It isn't your fault if some are weaker than others. I get it!

Build up the immune system.

I am definitely in A.  Any cleaning is inadvertent due to moving the grates around and setting them on the ground. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mostly a. Occasionally b. Radiant heat does most of the cleaning for me. 
    That's me, I do A, until I see there is too much of something hanging on before my next cook, so then I do B before lighting.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    In all seriousness, well as serious as I ever am, I'm with Travis.  Knock off the chunks and cook.  So far, no one has gotten seriously ill.  Seriously.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Let the Egg stay hot for 10-15 minutes after coking to sterilize everything then don't worry about it. If there is a lot of build up I hit it with a brush. 
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Quick scrape with the ash tool, couple swipes with the wire brush on a long handle, and it's good to go. So that would be a B?
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Grill brush!?  No way.  I ate a bristle once. No fun.

Lots of heat, ball of heavy duty aluminum foil to scrub, then finish with oil on paper towel.

Once every 6months or so I scrub it good with water and a scouring pad.

In the winter I pull the hot grate and drop it in the snow.  It cleans ok, but mostly thats just for fun.
    Agreed.  After reading a story on here I stopped using my grill brush.  Now I will use an aluminum foil ball.  Wear a glove and wipe them down or get a rag and wipe it down.  About once a year, I'll pressure wash and clean them real good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The occasional brush (Weber product) and the occasional burn.

DO NOT BUY the BGE brush. Stupid expensive and falls apart. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Agreed.  After reading a story on here I stopped using my grill brush.  Now I will use an aluminum foil ball.  Wear a glove and wipe them down or get a rag and wipe it down.  About once a year, I'll pressure wash and clean them real good.
    Yep, no more grill brush for me.  I'll use foil right before I put the meat on sometimes, but usually I just burn stuff off.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I couldn't hang out with anyone who spent more than 3 seconds cleaning their grates. 

Travis method for cleaning grates:

1. Quickly knock off chunks with grid lifter. 

2. Cook food. 

3. Drink drinks. 
    +1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited February 2015
    Options
    whats below A =) i dont remember whats cooking in my egg but there is smoke coking out of it, im sure its pristine in there ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/001-83.jpg

and this pic posting with pbucket sucks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I hit mine both after the cook and before the next cook. Unlike some on this forum, I have become a huge fan of the "brillo pad" style brush they have out from BGE. It cleans all around the grates and does a superior job. I always used to use the Weber triangle brush and still keep one around, but the scouring pad BGE one rules!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I knock chunks off when hot before a cook if fish was prior cook, or if there is some saucy mess on there and I'm going to cook fish.  Mainly not crossing streams between seafood and anything else, but I wouldn't call it cleaning.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    B would like to be in the C group but am usually too stuffed after eating my cook to do more than roll the egg back into the garage.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Plus one on what @pgprescott does ... the only difference is I bought the Charcoal Companion version of BGE's "brillo pad" brush.  Have had no problems with it ... if they make BGE's green version, I'd suspect it's good also.

All wire brush type cleaners have been pitched in the garbage.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• mitch2264
    Options
    Group b here--usually.  Depends on how many beverages have been ingested and mood.  I usually just get it good and hot, hit it with the brush then pull it off and spray it down with no-stick spray.  Also knock of any escaped bristles since I read about that causing mayhem. 

I was talking to a butcher friend one day and he said he spayed whatever meat was to be grilled with Pam before putting it on the grill.  I thought that was a genius idea so I have been doing that--esp. with chicken breasts and hamburgers--works like a charm!

That is my .02 cents worth--and probably worth less :).
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    whats below A =) i dont remember whats cooking in my egg but there is smoke coking out of it, im sure its pristine in there ;)

She's beautiful! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

What problem are you having? Here's your picture by the way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @keepervodeflame ... here's an article that discusses why a number of folks have shied away from that type of brush.  Google "grill brush wire stuck throat" and you'll find a number of reports.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishlessman
    Options
    i link it in from pbucket and it shows for half a second then disappears?
    RRP said:

What problem are you having? Here's your picture by the way.

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Fishless...just go to the 9th icon that looks like a page of paper with a folded over corner. Click on that and at the bottom you will see Image URL and just paste it there. Works for me as you know since I posted your picture for you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Fishless...just go to the 9th icon that looks like a page of paper with a folded over corner. Click on that and at the bottom you will see Image URL and just paste it there. Works for me as you know since I posted your picture for you.
    thats what im doing and the pic flashes on screen for half a second sometimes, then disapears. in the last hundred tries doing that it stayed once. very frustrating since they "fixed" this place last week for me
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I couldn't hang out with anyone who spent more than 3 seconds cleaning their grates. 

2. Cook food. 

3. Drink drinks. 
    4. Do the things.
  • travisstrick
    Options

2. Cook food. 

3. Drink drinks. 
    4. Do the things.
    Ahh, good ole number 4. My favorite. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll hit it with a brush if there's enough crap on it that some might stick to my food.  Other than that, A group, unless I'm doing fish or something with a tendency to stick.
    Options
    I'll hit it with a brush if there's enough crap on it that some might stick to my food.  Other than that, A group, unless I'm doing fish or something with a tendency to stick.
    Same here
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I'm a "B" guy

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I typically let it go till someone gets sick. 
    Did not know you worked at our local hospital. 

I'm a B club guy, and it is a grid, the grate never need maintenance as it holds the lump. Stike set me straight on it. I'm still shaking. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!