Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince Me!?!

Options
I've been lurking on the forum for over two years wanting to by a bge. Finally, this is the month i decide to pull the trigger. However, as a newbie, i come across the kamado joe. It seems that kj has answered the demands of the customers and kept their product innovative.  As a passionate griller, how do i justify going with the bge?  It comes ready to use, no accessories NEEDED (obviously some may be wanted), plus the divide and conquer option.  I went to a local dealer that carries both. The rep said, without provocation that he owns 3 bge and has been using them for over 10 years.  But... if he were to start today, he'd go kj. Says they are more customer oriented. Convince me...  i love the forum, but from my newbie perspective, that's the only benefit to going green. Thanks in advance from canton ohio.

Comments

• bheathbbq
    Options
    I hate when i typo... *bye
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited February 2015
    Options
    actually...*buy

I know, I am ****!  I just couldn't help it!  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do whatever you want. Many here have KJ grills. Eggfests and this forum are 2 big reasons why the Egg is preferred. 

I have my own reasons for not getting a KJ but it has nothing to do with their products. The "more customer oriented" sounds like a sales pitch. BGEs customer service has never left me wanting. 
  • bheathbbq
    Options
    Thanks, was goofin on myself for my typo
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    1) Eggfests
    2) This forum
    3) The BGE lifetime warranty.  I don't know about the KJ warranty.  It might be just as good.  But the BGE customer service after the sale is excellent. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bheathbbq
    Options
    Eggcelsior, thank you.  I can that the community aspect of owning a bge has its perks. Product wise, how do you feel?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm pretty sure KJ has a lifetime warranty too.

That said, I love my egg.
    NOLA
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    You guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn KJs were designed for women. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It's pretty simple if you ask me.  I'm not a communist.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bheathbbq
    Options
    I see that some are not kind to outsiders in this forum. Sounds kinda like some communist countries.  But all input is appreciated, thank you.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @bheathbbq all jokes my friend. You still get the forum with either but may be reminded when your post photos. I just got a great deal on my egg so went with that. If $ is the main factor, have you considered looking for a demo egg? 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • bheathbbq
    Options
    Walt, i'm not as concerned with the actual price tag as much as the understanding what the whole package includes. I have a feeling there is more that what i see on display at the dealer and i want to make an educated decision. Price is tertiary to package and experience. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The Egg is the driver of all things in the Kamado grill market. They are the ones who brought you the lifetime warranty and the excellent costumer service we enjoy. The proven track record and lasting power of the brand should also be a consideration. KJ has knocked off BGE and put some things into play such as the divide and conquer. That being said, the egg has everything anyone would need to cook great food in the line of accessories both in house and aftermarket. Their popularity and cult like following is well deserved. Im sure the KJ will cook just fine, but if the few extra bucks amortized over 30 years is not that big a deal, I would buy as much BGE as one can afford and dont look back. I don't know one Egg owner that regrets their purchase. I know many who regret that they waited so long to pull the trigger, after getting one. Good luck, you will be getting into a great experience, one way or the other. Enjoy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bheathbbq said:
    Walt, i'm not as concerned with the actual price tag as much as the understanding what the whole package includes. I have a feeling there is more that what i see on display at the dealer and i want to make an educated decision. Price is tertiary to package and experience. 
    If this is really your position, there's no good reason to go with the KJ in my opinion.  The BGE community is a big part of the experience for many of us, and from what I can tell, the KJ one simply doesn't compare.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Funny how we worry about spending more for what we really want and never think again about the price once we own it, use it and love it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bheathbbq said:
    Eggcelsior, thank you.  I can that the community aspect of owning a bge has its perks. Product wise, how do you feel?
    I've been very happy with the Egg. I have zero complaints about anything involved with it. I also like the model they have with selling the eggs. Sure, I can order a KJ online but with no dealer convenient to me I like being able to look at the product. This isn't exactly a "throwaway" purchase.

Also, if anyone says that "____ gasket is better than the Egg's", they will all(every brand) burn off at some point. There is a reason they have the shortest warranty of all the parts involved. That said, my gasket is 2 years old and looks a little compacted and dirty,but otherwise, it's fine. 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Most "packages" include the essentials: Platesetter, grate grip, ash tool, fire starters and a bag of BGE lump. The other Eggsessories come later as you. become more Eggsperienced and want to expand  your repertoire 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Most "packages" include the essentials: Platesetter, grate grip, ash tool, fire starters and a bag of BGE lump. The other Eggsessories come later as you. become more Eggsperienced and want to expand  your repertoire 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the divide and conquer option =) looks as useless as a firebox divider. you can do that with 2 grills and a piece of tinfoil ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Buying quality only stings once 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How good is the kj Forum? Just asking......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    sorry about the multiple posts - computer appeared stuck. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I had a KJ Jr. Only got rid of it because all my other grills were green already. I have owned a small BGE and still have a mini max and mini BGE. The KJ Jr was in my opinion better at least as good or better than any of the eggs its same size.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I haven't ever cooked on a KJ but I have seen one and played around with the system and I will admit if I were to start over I would strongly consider one, especially if I got it at the Costco road show.   I could be mistaken...but it looks like there is one in Ohio right now:

http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

I would certainly call first and make sure the schedule is correct.  If I recall correctly it was $750 for the classic size with all the goodies.  

One thing I don't care for in the KJ is a lack of a screen on the bottom draft door.  They an ash catcher with holes in it, but IMO the holes are too big and it doesn't fit that well so I could see an ember escaping.   If you are planning to use it on concrete then that might not be an issue for you.  That being said it would be easy enough to rig up a screen. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bosco0633
    Options
    I joined this site and really love reading all the posts.  I am however, a visitor so to speak (kj owner).  I am a member of many sites and really like all of them.  There is not doubt that BGE is the corner stoned of the industry.  BGE has been in the business so long and this site is testament to the amount of happy owners.  

I don't want to get booted for being a pro KJ user, and by no means are my comments to be an advocate for the brand.  I respect all people that cook with a kamado.  

I personally went with KJ because of a few reasons.  I prefer direct and indirect cooking and the flexibility with the divide and concur and x rack system to the platesetter feature with BGE.  

I had read story after story of the quality of customer service and free shipping on all warranty items.  The warranty is also lifetime ceramics.  

I own the 13" jr. the 18" classic and 24" big joe.  I loved the black and now really love the red and black combo.  

I liked everything included in the price and not having to buy ala carte so to speak.  

I am a member of the KJ website and it just doesnt have the following like BGE yet so the volume is not there.  I am also a member on the kamado guru and love having a non branded website dedicated to everything kamado.

If money was no object I would buy a komodo kamado 32"  

• THEBuckeye
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The ultimate question is do you want to be one of us, or one of them?

Either you're with us, or against us.

B) 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    I joined this site and really love reading all the posts.  I am however, a visitor so to speak (kj owner).  I am a member of many sites and really like all of them.  There is not doubt that BGE is the corner stoned of the industry.  BGE has been in the business so long and this site is testament to the amount of happy owners.  

I don't want to get booted for being a pro KJ user, and by no means are my comments to be an advocate for the brand.  I respect all people that cook with a kamado.  

I personally went with KJ because of a few reasons.  I prefer direct and indirect cooking and the flexibility with the divide and concur and x rack system to the platesetter feature with BGE.  

I had read story after story of the quality of customer service and free shipping on all warranty items.  The warranty is also lifetime ceramics.  

I own the 13" jr. the 18" classic and 24" big joe.  I loved the black and now really love the red and black combo.  

I liked everything included in the price and not having to buy ala carte so to speak.  

I am a member of the KJ website and it just doesnt have the following like BGE yet so the volume is not there.  I am also a member on the kamado guru and love having a non branded website dedicated to everything kamado.

If money was no object I would buy a komodo kamado 32"  

sounds like you should have bought a Primo oval. You can truly divide the oval. FYI you can do this on an egg with a 1/2 baking stone and the raised grid with drip pan.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have two eggs and a KJ.  They cook equally well.  The KJ came with an indirect "Woo" like thing, a grate lifter tool and an ash tool.  And it was cheaper.  In the spirit of cooking food, we welcome all. 
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are cooking on any kamado, You're okay in my book. And I actually have a book, and I will put you under....okay. :wink: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "