Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Else?

Options
Tired of the damn cold weather.  I have been sprinting to my egg and back in the house for a while now.  I got a small window this afternoon of 39 and some sunshine.  Thinking of some nice thick pork chops.  More ice and snow coming late tonight.  Anyone got some suggestions for cold weather cooks? Comfort food? I am having withdrawals from egging and relaxing outside.
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'm in GA also and YES...one thing I love about Ga are the mild winters, but we still get 4 distinct seasons. But this single digit crap is for the yanks...not this redneck. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    YES.  I AM TIRED OF THIS CRAP.  The last couple of days in San Antonio it has been sunny outside and looked like it is warm, but when I went outside it was only in the mid 60's.  What the heck?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    LOL.  I'm not at all upset we're in Albuquerque this season instead of Durham.  Even Durham's been getting blasted with cold weather, ice, and snow.  Then I have family in New England and the pictures from up there are nuts.  I think at last count at my Uncle's place in Canterbury, they were at 95 inches of snow on the year.  And there is another storm coming in this weekend... Yikes.

What's great about the Egg is that it can cook in any conditions.  So the only problem with the cold is that *you* have to stand out there.  So my suggestion is to do "set it and forget it" type cooks like pork butts where you don't have to do a lot.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    We are bracing for an estimated 7-14" of snow this weekend in Denver.  You would think after living her for 10 years we would be used to it.  These Texas bones are chilly.
    Trying to find a local retailer in denver that sells a Smokeware SS Cap. 

LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    you are all a bunch of pu**ys! That's not cold and you know it, jerks!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I enjoy a little bit of cold in the winter.  I like a roaring fire at night and I sleep a hell of a lot better.  Also makes me thankful for those mid 60's sunny spring days just around the corner.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CurtisMaximus
    Options
    I have a tee time for Saturday and it will top out at 75*, I hate winter. Brrrr.
    L BGE
  • mick7607
    Options
    I hear ya. I've got a brand new egg I want to play with and its 10* right now in sunny South Carolina. I'll never complain again in August when its 105*.
    Laurens,SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dreading march, worst month of the year. hate the heat. love cold weather, snow, cool summers. one great thing about new england in winter is that all the arses head south to florida in november  =) then we lock the gates til spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Air conditioning is the scourge of the South.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am tired of it. 10 degree F here this AM. That's cold for SC. One of reasons so bad is we aren't used to it so don't have the proper clothing/layers. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    Time to celebrate, finally made into the positive numbers...2 degrees here in the Motor City
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Time for everybody to put on their big girl panties and go fire your Egg! I've been egging every night this week just to kick Mother Nature in the crotch. There's always somebody out there egging that's colder than me. Saddle up boys. No excuses this weekend!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YES.  I AM TIRED OF THIS CRAP.  The last couple of days in San Antonio it has been sunny outside and looked like it is warm, but when I went outside it was only in the mid 60's.  What the heck?
    Mid 60's, that's shorts and flip flop weather here.  I am very sick of snow,  ice  and temps below 35.  I am going to a pork cooking class tomorrow,  but not sure I am egging Sunday or not.  I did meatloaf Wednesday in the oven,  didn't feel like braving the cold.  We have a new puppy and is not fun going out about every hour when I'm home. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    My wife thought I was nuts when she came home from work and I was smoking some sausage on the Egg.  Just to prove a point I refused to wear a jacket also. If I'm in the mood to grill Mother Nature and her below freezing temperatures aren't going to stop me from accomplishing my task.  Egg On!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Up here in the great white north it is a relief when it starts snowing.  We often have stretches where it is too cold to snow.   Those are not days when I cook pizzas or anything requiring too much fire-side attention.   Still, pretty nice to brag about slow-smoking ribs to my buddies when we hit near -40!

New Brunswick, Canada

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, never discount the effectiveness of personal anti-freeze.  BGE cooks lend themselves to adult supervisory beverages.  And for most of us, the ice won't melt nor the beer get warm while in that role right now. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I love this weather and don't want it to end. Although, this winter has been disappointing for me because we haven't had much snow. The -2 F this morning was quite refreshing.
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    I added a patio for the egg and had Directv wire for a tv in the late fall.  I didn't get long to enjoy it.  I have Master's weekend circled on the map.  I will brave the cold and watch the last two rounds outside if I have to do it in 4 layers of clothes and shoot fireball every 10 minutes. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    This morning it was -5F... it's warmed up to about 13...

Made a big pot of Sunday Gravy on the stove this morning for tonight... I did pick up some NY Strips and veggies for egging tomorrow
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I love this weather and don't want it to end. Although, this winter has been disappointing for me because we haven't had much snow. The -2 F this morning was quite refreshing.
    Loser!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'm tired of the pu$$y a$$ whiners.  
    We broke records for snowfall last year.  
    We didn't cry in the news like Boston. 
    We are the Midwest Strong. lmao
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    dogs are sometimes wuss dogs. They tend to whine.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    @Focker and pgprescott, nobody's whining.  Just saying I like egging in the spring. We can all chip in for a trophy if you want one for your Midwest blizzard survival. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @Focker and pgprescott, nobody's whining.  Just saying I like egging in the spring. We can all chip in for a trophy if you want one for your Midwest blizzard survival. 
    I'm sure Brandon is like me and just busting balls in good fun.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Let's just blame it on climate change - too much BGE and Rockwood and Egg smoke in the air. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Meat loaf. That's what you should cook. And Mac m cheese and taters lots of taters. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Focker said:
    quad cities does exist, i googled it =) put 7.6 million commuters in there like greater boston and see what happens ;) oh, and make sure they are friendly massholes,  =) the average old guy here pulls plow truck drivers out of their trucks an beats them with a shovel, you go call them  pu$$y a$$ whiner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Focker said:
    quad cities does exist, i googled it =) put 7.6 million commuters in there like greater boston and see what happens ;)
    And unless they've been there people don't realize how small Boston is.  It is a lot of people in a very cramped space.

Just one more reason putting the Summer Olympics there will be a giant clusterf&$k.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I echo this sentiment.  I've been out of Maine and in the mid-Atlantic for over 15 years, but I still would much rather have winter over summer here.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD