Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Duke Carolina Game

Options
2»

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    At Cameron, Paige with 5 points, tight into OT, UNC fans can be proud. Rematch on the 7th at DEAN's place, I will take UNC. 
    My guess is that the next game will be a blowout, but not in the way that you would like.  

Agree. That was our chance to even the series this year.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ha haha... Aw.. You carolina fans crack me up. ... It's spelled D U K E ... Good game  =)
    Carolina fans can't spell.  You see, much like their athletes, they never actually went to class.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I agree with others.  UNC gave the game away.  It's true the better team won last night.   I really thought UNC would become a better team as the season went along, so far not true.  This comes from a UNC fan that has been to several dook vs UNC games  dating back to King Rice and Derick Phelps (and will be there again this year).  In fact we have been to the only 2 games which they were ranked 1 & 2 in the nation when they met. UNC won both, but that was in the glory days of the DEAN.  I thought it was a great thing K did before the game to honor Coach Smith.   That being said, as much respect as I have for the program and their coach, if dook played Iraq I would pull for hoagie U.....rofl

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    The fact Carolina even competed with Paige being essentially a non-factor was impressive. UNC has played to the level of their opponents this year which is typical Tarheel. Roy either has to get some elite talent like Coach K does or he's close to having his only tv time at the CWS. I love the "Go Fast" all the time that Roy coaches, but you still need to have a couple of half-court sets you can go to and get good looks in that situation. Carolina outplayed Duke for the middle portion of the game, unfortunately games are 40 minutes and if tied at the end an additional 5. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Way too much hype.    Good series for sure though.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "Agree. That was our chance to even the series this year."

I would love to agree with that, but this series is way to unpredictable.  Anything could happen.

On another note - Some UNC fans are calling for Roy's head.  They say he is not getting the most out of his talent in either player development or in how he uses them during the games.  They also think that he can't possibly have plausible deniability where the academic scandal is concerned.  They would like to see a leadership change for these reasons.

What do Egghead Tarheels (that could be the name of a band) think?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @4Runner , It is likely that we're blinded by the blue if you will, however I am interested in your reasoning and statement "Way too much hype".  Do you believe this is the largest rivalry in college sports or American sports in general?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @4Runner , It is likely that we're blinded by the blue if you will, however I am interested in your reasoning and statement "Way too much hype".  Do you believe this is the largest rivalry in college sports or American sports in general?  
    It's certainly in the conversation as one of the best rivalries -  that's not really all that debatable.  Point me to another two teams who have each won 44 of their last 88 meetings, and whose point totals over 88 games differ by less than 10.  Moreover, the two teams are regularly ranked in the top 10 nationally.  

By almost all accounts, the Duke-Carolina game is one of the hardest tickets to get in *all of sports*.  Similarly, the consensus seems to be that the game this week was the best college basketball game this season so far.  I'm not sure it warranted an entire episode of Sportscenter being broadcast from Cameron, but what the heck else is going on these days?  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Foghorn said:
    "Agree. That was our chance to even the series this year."

I would love to agree with that, but this series is way to unpredictable.  Anything could happen.

On another note - Some UNC fans are calling for Roy's head.  They say he is not getting the most out of his talent in either player development or in how he uses them during the games.  They also think that he can't possibly have plausible deniability where the academic scandal is concerned.  They would like to see a leadership change for these reasons.

What do Egghead Tarheels (that could be the name of a band) think?
    @Foghorn , I am not the person you wanted to reply, but I will anyway.  It is very unpredictable for sure Fog, I agree with you 100%.  The game proved that.  It appeared dook was going to pound UNC and not let up, but that all changed.  Then it appeared UNC was going to do the same to dook.  Obviously that didn't happen (damn it).  

I believe some fans will call for a head under these circumstances, however, I do not believe Roy should leave.  He has a coaching philosophy and ultimately requires the right personnel to fill those spots.  That recipe for success comes with a fast point guard that can pass the ball, drive, and do a little scoring when need be.  The next is a relentless big man that is physical.  Also a three point shooter is required too (like Ellington and Green).  

They had that with Zeller and Marshall, but Marshall got hurt and Zeller was hurt at one point too.  What happened?  Marshall left (in my opinion to soon) and Zeller was a Sr.  

Paige really isn't that guy and neither is Britt.  Raymod Felton's nephew is coming that is a true point and driver, so maybe that will help. 

It's easy for the arm chair coach to call for heads and make changes, however I do feel it very difficult for a program like UNC, dook, Kentucky, etc to win them all like the fans want just because they're getting the McDonald All Americans, but there is not guarantee they'll be there for 2-3 years.  

I like Roy and I like his style.  However, his slow down style sucks, period.  When they start slowing it down, I cringe.  I really wished he would just keep the pedal down and go.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ha haha... Aw.. You carolina fans crack me up. ... It's spelled D U K E ... Good game  =)
    Carolina fans can't spell.  You see, much like their athletes, they never actually went to class.

You New Jersey people must be bitter about that 50k tuition bill. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "You New Jersey people must be bitter about that 50k tuition bill."

Part of the reason I went to Duke was actually because it was so cheap.   With their financial aid program for poor kids like me it was less expensive to go to Duke than to go to University of Florida (I'm a native Floridian).  They are one of the few (I've heard there are fewer than 20 at this point) private schools that do need-blind admissions for all students.  (Many schools have taken to accepting 50-75% of the class on a need-blind basis but then unblind and only fill the bottom of the class with those that can afford it).

Duke has taken specific actions to be able to attract more poor applicants than the vast majority of private schools.

So, rather than feeling bitter, I feel indebted.  Enough so, that I contribute to the cause every year. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @4Runner
    While no doubt is is the best college basketball rivalry it not THE best college rivalry. THE best is and always will be Ohio State Michigan football. 107,000 at the Big House and 105,000 at Ohio Stadium makes Cameron Indoor look like a high school gym - with all dues respect to Duke and Coach K. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Foghorn no doubt. I was just playing along with the jokes.

I have a couple of friends that went to Duke on a full ride and both have wonderful things to say about it. My sister got in but decided to go to a different school since that one had better Med School entrance rates than Duke(this is not a dig, that was just her deciding factor). Beautiful campus too. The walk from East to West Campus is neat.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @4Runner
    While no doubt is is the best college basketball rivalry it not THE best college rivalry. THE best is and always will be Ohio State Michigan football. 107,000 at the Big House and 105,000 at Ohio Stadium makes Cameron Indoor look like a high school gym - with all dues respect to Duke and Coach K. 
    Figured a Buckeye or Wolverine would chime in.... Size of the stadium has no relevance with the rivalry. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @4runner I think we can cut this short and agree to disagree. I did business with both Duke and UNC. I had great relationships with my key contacts but, overall, doing business with Duke was a pain on the butt. Talk about arrogant Academes. Jeesh. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @THEBuckeye, I hate to admit that I am not too surprised by your comment.   The culture there has changed in the 31 years since I graduated.  When I was there it was like Avis' "We try harder" was the motto.  No sports team had ever won a national championship.  In the national college rankings we had not broken the top 10.  Probably 20% of the students had been rejected by their first choice college (Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc).  The entire campus from the top of the adminstration down to the freshmen undergrads felt like they had something to prove. 

The last time I sat in the Duke section at a NCAA tournament game I was extremely disappointed with the spoiled, entitled attitudes of the current group of Duke fans.  I have had some similar professional interactions with recent Duke grads.  

That's why when I send them money it is specifically targetted for programs that ensure that poor kids can still get in there - to hopefully keep the sense of entitlement to a minimum.

San Antonio, TX

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I just happened to watch ESPN a bit too much the day of the game I guess.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:

The last time I sat in the Duke section at a NCAA tournament game I was extremely disappointed with the spoiled, entitled attitudes of the current group of Duke fans.  I have had some similar professional interactions with recent Duke grads.  

That's why when I send them money it is specifically targetted for programs that ensure that poor kids can still get in there - to hopefully keep the sense of entitlement to a minimum.
    Ooof this just doesn't jive with what I see on campus at least.  There's this stereotype out there of your average Duke student being some kind of an entitled, wealthy douchebag, and in my experience, it couldn't be further from the truth.  The vast majority of the students I've had in class have really been good kids.  

I have a good friend in Durham who is a Duke alum and regularly attends the games for his work (he's a sports reporter).  He graduated from Duke in 1995, so he was there for the first two national championships.  We always laugh at this stereotype that's out there, because sitting in press row in Cameron, he sees it all.  For sure the student body has changed since the nineties, but really not in the way you're suggesting.  The irony is that, these days, most of the students are actually kind of dorks.  And I write that with the utmost affection for them.  
  • THEBuckeye
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Foghorn I dealt with the non-clinical healthcare people. The #1 bee-atch is now at Vandy I think. On the other hand, I worked with a product guy that was a Duke grad. Nice guy, down to earth. He had triplett boys.  Whew! 
    New Albany, Ohio