Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Duke Carolina Game

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anyone catch it?  One of the classics.  K said both sides deserved to win, and that might actually be true.  I had a number of friends at the game and the reports are insane.  ESPN was having a hard time holding some of the cameras steady Cameron was shaking so much.  

Word on the street is that there was also an "Eat Sh!t Carolina, Carolina Eat Sh!t!" chant at the end of regulation from the Crazies.  I look forward to @tarheelmatt 's thoughts on this one.   B)
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    John, I did indeed catch the game.  Was a hard fought game from both sides, but the Heels just couldn't capitalize with their deer in the head light look in the closing moments of OT.  

I am assuming they had a hard time with cameras in the first half as most of the second half was pretty quiet.  

I had to watch the the guys call on local channel 2/ACC channel instead of the ESPN guys, which I hated.  ESPN was blacked out in my area.  

I do believe coaching was the factor here.  Roy should have called a TO in that mess of 10s in OT to draw something up better than the crap that was displayed, however that's his style, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  

All in all, a game that lived to the hype... Two heavyweights trading punches... Dook was the better team last night.  

I gained some respect for Dookies last night for the way they honored Dean.   

Still a tough loss... And I still cannot stand a Dookie... 

GO HEELS!!!! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2015
    Options

Dook fans(Crazies)  are the worst. This is coming from someone who was at the "Fahq JJ" game in College Park. I suppose the difference is other fans know exactly what's at stake and don't need cute chants that get passed around before the game. 

Attached is the greatest picture ever. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Instant classsic.  UNC's bigs deserve a lot of credit for neutralizing Okafor.

Cameron definitely shakes when things get rocking there.

Out of nostalgia I googled and found this clip from the 1981 game which was -in my opinion and as a Duke fan - the best of the series.  I'm biased because it was my freshman year and I was there (actually documented in this video in one of the grainy crowd shots).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV1B2Bp0EIg

I'm pretty sure that last night's game will not go down as a UNC fan's favorite.  Which one do Tarheels like most?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It was a tough one @Foghorn, but I love the rivalry, LOVE IT!  I am proud that this area is so rich in basketball history.  Eight miles apart makes things more interesting too.  I don't think no other rivialry has this, period.  My opinion, may not be someone elseses, but whatever.  

My favorite?  Jerry Stackhouse monster reverse dunk at Dook...

http://youtu.be/cj1ySdZXi6U

Even more from that game... With Wallace too! 

http://youtu.be/LEn2MiEDcZU
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Roy has a mile-long collection of timeouts that should've been used 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Dook fans(Crazies)  are the worst. This is coming from someone who was at the "Fahq JJ" game in College Park. I suppose the difference is other fans know exactly what's at stake and don't need cute chants that get passed around before the game. 

This one's better:

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    shucker said:
    Roy has a mile-long collection of timeouts that should've been used 
    You know, I say that, as well as everyone else, however it worked to his favor there where Dook had 0 TO's and Roy still had 3.  

They should have kept pounding inside and left Paige out.  He just wasn't on last night.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Foghorn said:

I'm not sure Okafor was really neutralized in that game, particularly after they stopped double-teaming him. He had some huge buckets in the OT (has to work on his FTs tho!)
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Foghorn said:

I'm not sure Okafor was really neutralized in that game, particularly after they stopped double-teaming him. He had some huge buckets in the OT (has to work on his FTs tho!)
    Dook was gassed... UNC has a terrible time at putting teams away.  If UNC would have kept running, which is their MO, the game could have been different, but who knows.  Okafor's hands were on his hips as well as other Dook players.  Some were just standing on the court not running.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah, Coach K has never done a very good job of developing his bench.  He was kinda going 8 deep until Sulaimon got kicked off. 
    I've always thought that he pushes a small number of players really hard through a grueling season such that by tournament time they are gassed and the bench hasn't been developed. It's hard to argue with his overall results but I've wondered if going deeper down the bench during the regular season might pay off in more tournament wins (fewer upsets by lower seeds) and better player development over the years. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Hell of a game but the wrong team won. I am a Heels fan so that one stung but a good one nonetheless. Dook has a lot more talent this year. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

This one's better:

That is one type of player that UNC needs for success... He was relentless and tough.  The current big guys don't have his drive.  

Success for UNC means a big guy that can run and is tough and a fast point guard.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I agree on the that @Foghorn . Also, last night was my favorite game so far since I didn't have to watch it on mute. First regular season Carolina-Dook game of my life that I haven't had to do that.

Other than that, 95 at Cameron. Double OT with that Caple shot. Alternatively, any Jerry Stackhouse or Antawn Jamison game, especially with Elton Brand on Jamison's part. Nothing like inside-out basketball.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Hansbrough was first class, unlike the trash (henderson) who bloodied him up in that picture.  I've got all of Hansbrough's games on dvd for my son to study when he's old enough to play.  I played in jr college but thought I didnt have the talent to go any further so I didnt put the effort in that I should have.  Hansbrough was proof that you dont have to be the most athletically gifted so long as you have the work ethic and the "want-to".  I agree with @tarheelmatt that UNC needs that type of player.  They dont come around often and there have only been a handful of that type at UNC and their jerseys are in the rafters. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I was at the game when Hansborough broke the scoring record. Pretty insane in the Dean Dome that night
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, Brand vs Jamison was always worth watching. And Vince Carter was the icing in those games. 

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    edited February 2015
    Options

This one's better:

You may have won the battle, but he won the war.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Ha haha... Aw.. You carolina fans crack me up. ... It's spelled D U K E ... Good game  =)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Ha haha... Aw.. You carolina fans crack me up. ... It's spelled D U K E ... Good game  =)
    Yes it is. Everyone else spells D O O K i. e. What everyone else thinks of them.  ;)
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Yes it is. Everyone else spells D O O K i. e. What everyone else thinks of them.  ;)
    As Stew would say, BOOOYYYAAAAA
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I beg to differ (thinly veiled reference to 1984 Duke/UNC game).  Stu wouldn't give props to something that lame.  He was better than that.

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    This thread is the best!
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Whew, I great game but I had trouble falling asleep after that one.  Heels just threw it away down the stretch.  Had you told me we could have taken Dook to OT with the game Paige played I would have thought you were crazy.  If you are truly caught up in this rivalry as I have been since I child you have never liked K or Dook but after the way K has responded to the passing of Dean and the honoring of him last night pregame I have a little more respect.  That was extremely classy and seemed totally genuine.  Heels need to play with the since of urgency they did last night every night and they would be a top 10 team.  Sad they can't seem to do that......Can't teach and coach what Hansborough had!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Foghorn
    Options
    K is classy and genuine.  He is flawed just like all of us and his ego sometimes gets in the way of him being worthy of sainthood, but day in and day out for decades he has largely behaved with a lot of class.  Ironically, it was UNC fans demonizing Coach K that led me to appreciate the true class - despite some flaws - of Dean Smith... as in my youth I had demonized him.  It is easy for opposing fans to focus on the flaws and miss the big picture.  I did for many years.  One of Roy's post-game quotes referred to this (respect vs hatred among fans) which I also thought was classy.

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I did find my self not cussing the TV as much, or actually at all.  I used to throw hand gestures and curse a lot when Kupcake was shown on TV.  

I just couldn't bring myself to it last night, and may not ever.  Much respect!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    At Cameron, Paige with 5 points, tight into OT, UNC fans can be proud. Rematch on the 7th at DEAN's place, I will take UNC. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Blassiter
    Options

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Foghorn
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Blassiter

San Antonio, TX

• Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Long time Blue Devil fan with family history

Excellent game by both sides with the ups and downs on both sides.

Know we're in for another good one in a few weeks. It can go either way. Love or Hate, that's why we're fans.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    At Cameron, Paige with 5 points, tight into OT, UNC fans can be proud. Rematch on the 7th at DEAN's place, I will take UNC. 
    My guess is that the next game will be a blowout, but not in the way that you would like.