Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ballotine Chicken THROWDOWN-- winner gets BIG prize!

Options

Comments

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Sneak peak ;)image

Two birds in the hand? Well will you have any fingers left. NPStumpsFL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @blind99‌, where's the butcher twine. Did you sew it together? Ingredients look great. I also used the tinfoil drop pan.

@stemc33‌ no string. I use turkey lacers but instead of using them the correct way, I run them back and forth along the edges of the skin. Usually takes 4 or 5 to do a chicken. Then I slip them out at the end. I've had good luck doing it this way, it seals it up pretty well.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @NPHuskerFL thats the spirit. For me, no matter what happens win or loose I will still have a full stomach.

@Tinyfish‌ don't let @NPHuskerFL‌ fool you... He prepped a couple of birds last night. He wasn't sitting this out, he's coming out swinging!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Looks like game bird on
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ok, I don't have a dog in this hunt, anyone not sewing or tying? I really hope someone uses meat glue for this...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @DMW‌ my LBGE cook was held together totally by the bacon weave which proved to be tricky. I actually flipped it 2x with my metal pizza peel. I did this to keep the bacon from getting overly done on the bottom and giving it a crispness on top and bottom. It was sketchy doing this. But, it worked out. The bird was beyond stuffed. And after eating it so am I.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Both birds look ok ;) so more than on bird is ok? If you need some rub that bad I will ship you some of mine.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

Both birds look ok ;) so more than on bird is ok? If you need some rub that bad I will ship you some of mine.

HuskerMaMa doesn't eat real bacon, brats etc. Solution made 2. I'm a pleaser when it comes to my Lady. This was a fun cook. Heck all cooks are fun for me really. There are some excellent posts coming out of our comrades.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Got mine deboned, not the prettiest job but not bad considering I had never even heard of this technique until this thread stated.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• blind99
    Options
    @shucker‌ if it doesn't look like something out of a horror movie, you either are the next pepin or you work for the "body worlds" exhibit. Have at it!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    HuskerMaMa doesn't eat real bacon, brats etc. Solution made 2. I'm a pleaser when it comes to my Lady. This was a fun cook. Heck all cooks are fun for me really. There are some excellent posts coming out of our comrades.

Your lucky. Urban MaMa. LOVES bacon :@) poop think I hit the wrong button face
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Here's my secret weapon. My Lili Ann (Our "Ferocious" Belgian Malinois) carrying her Simba #1 (she has a backup Simba too ;) ). She's my egging buddy. She gave me her "Seal of Approval" ;) :o3
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Didn't think I would make it. Looks like I'll have some time tomorrow so I am in. Wanted to try one for a long time. May as well give it a go.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That's the spirit @AlbertaEgger‌. CHALLENGE... :ar! This throw down definitely took me out of my comfort zone. It's pretty cool to be part of something so great. Look forward to seeing your post.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    For a @Tinyfish‌, you sure do use a big fork =))
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good to see everyone excited about cooking something different for a can of Dizzy Pig.  I'll throw in a custom handle for whatever size your egg is provided it can have a fleur-de-lis on it and you get 15 characters of custom text.  Sh*t just got real.  Fo' sure.
    Options
    Good to see everyone excited about cooking something different for a can of Dizzy Pig.  I'll throw in a custom handle for whatever size your egg is provided it can have a fleur-de-lis on it and you get 15 characters of custom text.  Sh*t just got real.  Fo' sure.

I just highlighted that f-word to look it up. Don't really get it, but free is free and it's even better when it's custom. Should be some good pics entered in the last minutes. Your right, it's good to see.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @stemc33 thats my carving. Everyone likes the fork shot....so I said Hmm...maybe a bigger fork will help my odds. Next fork if needed is my pitch fork from the garden LOL.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

Ok here is mr chicken stuffed rolled tied and stitched. I think I over stuffed the bird, made it hard to tie. The chicken got more stitches then I did growing up. Never the less it was fun. A little rest time for me and the chicken before egg time.image

Chicken cheerleader..lol

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:

I just highlighted that f-word to look it up. Don't really get it, but free is free and it's even better when it's custom. Should be some good pics entered in the last minutes. Your right, it's good to see.

...more commonly seen here:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Being in Falcons country I'm not sure....

who am I kidding? A custom handle would freakin rock!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Hey I'm all in. Just picked up a bird. Wife thinks I'm nuts being sick :-& 8-}
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You da man @nolaegghead‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    To all who are in the game-congrats on taking up the challenge with or without a boning/de-boning knife.  Great posts above-glad to see the enthusiasm.  Regardless of how it goes down, you all will enjoy some great eats.  Great idea @Jeremiah!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Just curious here but who's actually submitting an entry? Hit like to this post if you are.

This is cool, I will def make one...only submitting a pic if it turns out well lol.

Way to keep the forum fun @Jeremiah‌ !
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Really bummed. I boned two game hens yesterday and planned to cook one and freeze the other today. But it's pouring rain, really pouring, and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime before 10 p.m. This was going to be my first throw down.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    jlsm said:
    Really bummed. I boned two game hens yesterday and planned to cook one and freeze the other today. But it's pouring rain, really pouring, and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime before 10 p.m. This was going to be my first throw down.

Suck it up and put your big boy panties on =))
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Gore tex and umbrella man! You won't melt.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pre- Mangle:

Post Mangle (feel pretty good, only took 7.5hrs):

And photo of the stuffing .... maybe a little cheating since I did it on the stove top, but since I was told cooking is like racing and if rules don't state something explicitly . O:-)

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How long and what temp are you guys cooking at?  I'm unsure of cook times, no bones, but stuffed is not something I have ever done.

I'm thinking 350 for 1.5 to 2hrs?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin