Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket.....leftover uses..post em up

Options
AUCE
AUCE Posts: 890
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Going to venture into the mystical realm of the packer brisket on my Xl BGE.
It's just me and momma and cooking a 12 -15# er will leave a pile of leftovers. Does it freeze well? Reheat well? What are some other recipe/ uses for a full packer? I have a few in mind and would like to know what our distinguished group also does.TIA

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have five simple words for you:  Award Winning Smoked Brisket Chili

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Look up the Brisket Chili recipe. I don't know how to post links or I would. It is awesome!
    NW IOWA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It does dry out fairly quickly, you'll want to try out recipes that add some liquid back in. Chili is the best; my wife refuses chili with ground meat now. I've used chopped brisket instead of chicken in this recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/20-minute-chicken-enchiladas

Just chopping and reheating with your favorite bbq sauce make really good sandwiches.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Brisket chili, brisket baked beans, brisket omelette, brisket sammiches/sliders, brisket nachos, grind for burgers, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Brisket Hash
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Thanks guys for recommending my smoked brisket chili recipe.  We cut our smoked brisket into about 1-1 1/2# chunks and Foodsaver them, then toss in freezer.  This way we can make whatever size batch of chili we want.  Here's the link that I originally posted: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163322/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-from-salado-eggfest-after-party-2014/p1 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    APL Burnt Ends with Melting Garlic

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • AUCE
    Options
    Thanks guys for recommending my smoked brisket chili recipe.  We cut our smoked brisket into about 1-1 1/2# chunks and Foodsaver them, then toss in freezer.  This way we can make whatever size batch of chili we want.  Here's the link that I originally posted: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163322/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-from-salado-eggfest-after-party-2014/p1 

THIS WILL BE..THE FIRST fare prepped with the leftovers...YUMMY!

• GATraveller
    Options
    Good choice.  It will not disappoint.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brisket chili. Killer Sammys. Tacos.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We have done burnt ends from frozen leftover brisket and they came out great.  We had planned to make chilli with it but we ran out of brisket.

Garnerville, NY
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    I like to make a couple burgers by mixing in with my hamburger meat, assuming I can get my hands on left overs.  Brisket does not last long at my house.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Eggrolls
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I am going to strongly disagree with all the above recommendations. Left over brisket is terrible as leftovers.

I would place all leftovers in a tupperware container and leave outside your front door. I will come by and pickup and eat...I mean compost leftovers.LOL :-\"
  • AUCE
    Options
    If our brood were around 5 boys and 1 girl, I'd need 2 -15# packers and they'd be fighting over scraps.....but seeing how it's just me and momma...gotta have have a plan.. :D

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jerald said:
    Brisket does not last long at my house.
    My sentiments exactly. I will add one more note to that verse. Nothing lasts long at my house. My wife is a hog ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Another nod here for the brisket chili.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Q27
    Q27 Posts: 5
    Options
    We enjoy brisket chili so much that I have a 4# brisket on the LBGE right now for nothing but chili. I will sneak a few slices of course..
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    Brisket quesadilla. Brisket, beans of your choice, salsa and pepper jack cheese
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Chopped brisket pizza.   Did one about a week ago.  It was outstanding.  Mix a little of your favorite BBQ sauce into the pizza sauce.  Add some chopped red onions.  Use whatever cheese you normally use on pizza. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX