Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket Owners - Questions

Options

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Botch said:
    Also, Chad from Kick Ash Basket and I have conversed several times on the dimensions of the Mini Max fire bowl. A Mini Max KAB will be on the horizon soon. 

Ah!  Did Chad mention anything about them doing one for the Small?  
    Nothing was mentioned. I've been after him to make a Medium for a while. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I emailed as well and got a reply.  He said a medium in Q1, no plans for a small.  That's fine by me, I use the medium way more than the small anyway.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options

I emailed as well and got a reply.  He said a medium in Q1, no plans for a small.  That's fine by me, I use the medium way more than the small anyway.

No plans for the small? That's just insane
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Is there a chance this basket could expand and crack the firebox?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Is there a chance this basket could expand and crack the firebox?

No. There's enough play.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It's made from standard mild steel. Just buy one for a large and cut/ reweld it. Any $100 mig welder will do it.
    @Jeremiah ... now that's just plain mean teasing the small egg owners like that.  Mine's in the egg, so can't count exactly ... but, I think there's about 126 welds to cut free ... then build the fixturing necessary to hold everything in place while you reweld it. Probably better to start from scratch.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ maybe, but if one doesn't come soon for the max I'll be a cutting and welding fool. ;)
  • DGarner211
    DGarner211 Posts: 97
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can you still stack lump to the top of the fire ring without smaller pieces slipping down past the basket?  It looks like that would be a problem since the basket is slightly below level with the firebox.

Or do you use it in conjunction with the fire grate (in which case it looks like a neat tool, but doesn't fix my problem of ash clogging the holes).  If it's supposed to be used with the fire grate, I'd have to buy this and one of these:

In which case I'll probably start with the new fire grate.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Jeepster47‌ maybe, but if one doesn't come soon for the max I'll be a cutting and welding fool. ;)
    @Jeremiah ... does that gauge wire come on a roll or as individual rods?  Wondering why Chad  builds them as individual rings.  Even if it comes as individual rods, it looks like one could "wind" the outer wire rings around the cross pieces - similar to a screw thread - and end up with reduced welding and scrap.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    That's a good point @Jeepster47‌ I know locally I could get it in 20' sticks. You're right though, probably easier to start from scratch.
  • cam05210
    Options
    So I got one for Christmas and got around to egging yesterday...cleaned out the old lump and put the large basket in and filled her up.  I had a little trouble getting the temps up as it seemed to take a little longer than before just to get to 350...I cooked some turbo ribs for just at 2hrs and then left the Egg hot to do some chicken breasts later in the evening...total egg time was around 6hrs @ 350degrees...but as I tried to up the temps to do the chicken breast, I was out of lump?!?!?  Why did I burn through an entire full LBGE basket of lump in such a short time??...I had to pull the chicken breast as I had the egg fully open and couldn't get it over 300 at that point.  Any thoughts to this?  Will give it another run this weekend to see if it was a fluke or what...
  • Jeepster47
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @cam5210 ... the basket stops short of the top of the fire bowl.  The temptation is to not completely bury the basket and fill the pit to an appropriate level.  Plus, there's a minor loss of volume just 'cuz the basket isn't a spandex-like tight fit in the bowl.

I wish the basket would come up to the top of the fire bowl.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited January 2015
    Options
    +1 ... @cam5210 The basket will support the weight of the lump, I've filled mine up above the fire ring for long cooks. I'm not sure if you're burning more lump, you may be with the improved air flow the basket offers over the factory grate.

Not sure this helps, hope you get a chance to figure it out. Don't give up on it yet, I think you'll really like it once you figure it out.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • cam05210
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    +1 ... @cam5210 The basket will support the weight of the lump, I've filled mine up above the fire ring for long cooks. I'm not sure if you're burning more lump, you may be with the improved air flow the basket offers over the factory grate.

Not sure this helps, hope you get a chance to figure it out. Don't give up on it yet, I think you'll really like it once you figure it out.
    So it works just as well if you "overflow" it?  I knew I was losing some volume and doubt it would change anything if I filled the entire firebowl full of lump even outside of the basket, but I think the basket should at least come up to the top of the firebowl.  Anyone done this with results?
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RedSkip ... You're not burning more lump with improved airflow when all other conditions are equal.  Ignoring outside temps, if you maintain the egg at 350 degrees for six hours you've used a set amount of lump.  Can't burn more, because the temps would then go up.  Can't burn less, because the temps would decrease. 

When airflow is improved with the basket or a better than OEM fire grate, one compensates by closing the vents a little more.  The advantage of improved airflow is the ease of holding a specific temp.

• Jeepster47
    edited January 2015
    Options
    cam05210 said:
    So it works just as well if you "overflow" it?  I knew I was losing some volume and doubt it would change anything if I filled the entire firebowl full of lump even outside of the basket, but I think the basket should at least come up to the top of the firebowl.  Anyone done this with results?
    I came up short on lump on a longer cook last month.  Thus, a standard fill now - even for a single pizza - is to the top of the fire bowl.  Low-and-slows go to the bottom of the plate setter.  Since the egg and I are still dating, so to speak, consistency of set up is a necessity.

The basket isn't restricting how much lump you can put in the egg ... and like Redskip noted, the improved airflow without the OEM fire grate is a plus.  My comment was only to point out that my first instinct was to stop filling at the top of the basket ... it was uncomfortable to bury my brand new basket completely under lump.  Today's cook will fill to the plate setter ... I expect no problems.

I'm not good enough to predicting how much lump will be left after a cook ... thus, I expect to find the basket completely covered with lump on some future cooks.  That's why the wish for more free-board on the basket.

• RedSkip
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ I agree with you given all things are constant - honestly I didn't think too much into it.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I just got one for Christmas and used it yesterday for baking cornbread and cookies.  Loaded the basket with coal passed the handles half-way up the fire ring.  Did not use any fire grate.  (I never upgraded to the high que grate)

Lighting the egg seemed the same.  But, it seemed to run hotter with the same vent settings.  I was trying to bake at 350, but, the temps climbed to 470.  I had to reduce the vents to what use to be 275-300 for it to drop back to 375.

I believe it's due to my poor air flow with the standard grate and how I load/clean my egg.  Since owning the eggs 4 years, I have never been able to have my indirect setup go beyond 500 for pizzas.  So 470 was a shocker to me.

So far, I'm very happy with the product.  I haven't cleaned out the ash yet, but, just getting to cook at higher temps is well worth it. (for me)  Not sure if it uses more charcoal either, but, charcoal is cheap compared to the cost of the egg and meat.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,532
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    So far, I'm very happy with the product.  I haven't cleaned out the ash yet, but, just getting to cook at higher temps is well worth it. (for me)  

Once you see how easy ash cleanup is, you'll be even happier!  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Botch said:

SmyrnaGA said:

So far, I'm very happy with the product.  I haven't cleaned out the ash yet, but, just getting to cook at higher temps is well worth it. (for me)  

Once you see how easy ash cleanup is, you'll be even happier!  

+1. Nice product. Not a necesity, but sure makes things easier.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I keep.seeing ppl.fill lump higher than firebox. I have an xl and done up to 12 hrs @225 and still have plenty of lump the next am. Filled to top of firebox.
    I guess what I'm asking is on long low and slows say 18.hrs. no worries.filling into fire ring? I'm sure lump mfr. makes a difference. And when using ash basket you remove oem fire.grate?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• RedSkip
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @auce Why not fill into the fire ring? You're eventually going to use the lump, why risk the fire going out?

If you stack your lump, bigger on bottom and smaller pieces on top, I don't see how filling into the fire ring will hurt you. If using a lot of smaller chunks, I'd be concerned with reduced air flow with the lump being packed in tighter.

As for the OEM fire grate, mine sits in the bottom of a storage bin. The kick ash basket supports the weight of the lump and also helps with improved air flow. I don't see a need for the OEM to be in the egg, just another level for ash to fall on and reduce air flow.

Just my 0.02, take it for what it's worth...(not much)
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Fill away @AUCE‌

I've never had an airflow prob with the stock fire grate on an XL on a long L&S either stacking or just bag dumping, but I always do start with a cleaned out egg. I've filled well into the fire ring without any prob and held temps through a 20 hour cook with plenty of lump to spare. I think the XL is less prone to choking from some of the comments posted here from others.

I am ordering a KA basket myself, but I'm going to get the smaller one to use more as a reducing ring.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Legume‌ Nice idea on the reducing ring, should work out well for ya!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    @AUCE‌, thats crazy you still have that much lump left the next morning on a 12 hour cook when only filled to the top of the firebox. Maybe that's just because you have the xl, and therefore the volume is much higher? I have an lbge, and my first cook was ribs at 225-250, lump to the top of firebox and I burned through all the lump in 4 hours and had to finish in the oven. Granted I didn't notice whether I had a bunch of voids or anything, but still. Huge difference between that and the results you've had
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    RedSkip said:

@Legume‌ Nice idea on the reducing ring, should work out well for ya!

Haha - wish I could take credit for that but they actually market one of the smaller ones for that purpose.
  • AUCE
    Options
    tisoypops said:

@AUCE‌, thats crazy you still have that much lump left the next morning on a 12 hour cook when only filled to the top of the firebox. Maybe that's just because you have the xl, and therefore the volume is much higher? I have an lbge, and my first cook was ribs at 225-250, lump to the top of firebox and I burned through all the lump in 4 hours and had to finish in the oven. Granted I didn't notice whether I had a bunch of voids or anything, but still. Huge difference between that and the results you've had

I'll have about 1/2 + left. I use about 25% wood to lump..I have noticed a difference in lump AND since going to smoke ware cap....doesn't snuff as well...yet..
    Currently burning RO. Got a baahgin.
    Top of fire box I hold approx 7-8# depending on lump size..maybe a lil over.
    My first smoke was a 10.5# butt and used cowboy..yes I know..but I had 2/3 left..@225..and that was at dome temp.before I got my dual.
    It's seems to be very efficient. But I try very hard to take it to temp. Instead of it taking me over. I start slowing her down at 40-50:degrees before desired temp. Guess that helps..
    note: when I put on platesetter and grill on its only got about a pound coffee a round burning 8-10" fire.
    Other xlers finding the like?

• AUCE
    Options
    And I bag dump...lay wood in layers

• AUCE
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also always have a fresh box of lump and fully cleaned. For low and slows I have 2 full bags of once used lump for burgers,steaks,chops. quick fires quick cooks.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Just counting the days until 1/14, when mine is supposed to ship.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon