Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First real cook...nervous

Options
So I'm doing spatchcock chicken for my first real cook.

I've heard about how hard it is to bring down the temperature so I'm taking forever to get it to 400 degrees. I have been spoiled by propane.

The intent is to do two small chickens at around 400 degrees, usually would do 350, but it seems most cook it at a higher temperature.

Stay tuned and I'll report back a success or ruined chicken.

Bill

From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You got this. Just get the temp steady and don't chase when it drops from the meat being added. 160 breast and 180 thigh, may pull 5 degree sooner and let it rise. Point the legs to the back as that tends to run hotter.

Just a tip, wrap you place setter in foil to save on clean up so the grease won't stink up your food.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't be nervous! It's just a chicken!

Ruin a couple and enjoy the process! 2 months from now you will be laughing about this post!
    Brandon, MS
  • Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
     It's just a chicken! 
    Actually it's two chickens but they were cheap.  :) It seems to be stabilizing at around 375 so I'm going to leave it alone as I always did beer butt chicken at 350 on the gas grill.

Bill
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    You're well on your way to your first successful cook. As all mentioned, don't chase temps. Enjoy!! And man that's a white egg. You'll also get a chuckle in a while about how it looks today.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sameydog
    Options
    It's only had a couple burns in it with no cooking done until today.

I'm glad I have beer. I turned the thermometer so 400 points straight up and I can see it at a glance...I have a screen for the Garagebar. 

Bill
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,514
    Options
    This is no different than cooking on any other rig.  If you have always cooked to the finish temp then sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.  Not a mystery although controlling the temps likely is different than your prior cookers but it sounds like you are easing up on it.  And you have already sorted out one key piece of info-don't chase the temps.  Hopefully your dome thermo has been calibration checked-nothing worse than having a great game-plan and screwed up indications.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sameydog
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. It came out perfect and the temperature stayed at 375 the complete cooking cycle.

My neighbor just left and said it was the best chicken he has ever eaten.

Special rub (sazon based), sea salt to crisp up the skin, and local lemons sliced and put under the chicken while they cooked. The lemons, I think, were what made it even better.

I'm now stoked and a spatchcock turkey is next.

Bill

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,687
    Options
    Birds look good man. Enjoy the journey.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looks awesome! If you were to raise that grid and cook at 400 it would crisp that skin even more! I cook 5lb birds rub with a little EVOO seasoned with dizy pig cow lick raised direct 400 for one hour and it's turns out great!

Congrats on the success spatched!
    Brandon, MS
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Sameydog said:
    Thanks for all the support. It came out perfect and the temperature stayed at 375 the complete cooking cycle.

My neighbor just left and said it was the best chicken he has ever eaten.

Special rub (sazon based), sea salt to crisp up the skin, and local lemons sliced and put under the chicken while they cooked. The lemons, I think, were what made it even better.

I'm now stoked and a spatchcock turkey is next.

Bill

OK, I'm a little miffed by your picture.
    I see the platesetter, yet your grid is still a good 3 to 4 inches below the felt line.
    My platesetter puts my grid at the felt line?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sameydog
    Options
    These were small birds, about three pounds, and I use sea salt to crisp up the skin. The problem is they don't looked crisp but they are excellent to eat. I'll work on the "darkness" going forward.

I'm still amazed I didn't screw this up. Perfect 180 degrees taken in the thigh. 

Egg is shut down for the day but tomorrow is another day...I may cook something else before the turkey thaws out. Weather is nice for the next week, hopefully have some redfish the first of the week, so who knows where I'll go with this.

Again...thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

Bill
  • Greeno55
    Options
    He has the PS legs up, but in the slots, so that'll lower it some. Newer rings have notches that'll fit the setter in it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sameydog
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    He has the PS legs up, but in the slots, so that'll lower it some. Newer rings have notches that'll fit the setter in it.
    This is a newer one. I guess I could put the PS on top, off side of the slots, to raise it if I needed to?

Bill
  • Greeno55
    Options
    It is another option. Raises the food a little higher. Same can be done if you go legs down. Try it different ways and see what works best for you. Nice cook by the way.
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Greeno55 said:

Even if he didn't use the slots he'd still be way below the felt line ... Those slots are only like 1/2-3/4" deep ?

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Even if he didn't use the slots he'd still be way below the felt line ... Those slots are only like 1/2-3/4" deep ?
    I agree, the height on my slots is nowhere near the distance his set-up is below the feltline.
    I'm beginning to wonder if his fire ring is missing or is one of those low half fire rings.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sameydog
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I agree, the height on my slots is nowhere near the distance his set-up is below the feltline.
    I'm beginning to wonder if his fire ring is missing or is one of those low half fire rings.
    Geeze...now I'm confused. Guess I could ask my dealer. I assumed all was well the way it was setup.

Bill
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Good for you man, nailed those chickens! Now go fill your freezer with some butts, more chickens, brisket, tri-tips....
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm about an inch and a half below felt on the large with that set up. Bought it this year.
  • Sameydog
    Options
    I'm about an inch and a half below felt on the large with that set up. Bought it this year.
    Whew...I just measured mine. It's about the same. Must be the newer models as I just got this Egg?

Bill
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Here's a picture of my XL set up, platesetter in legs up in the notches and grate, I can raise it a half inch more by going out of the notches.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BTW. Nice cook. I knew you had it.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... with the plate setter out of the notches, the top of my grate is even with the felt line. Large egg. CGS has a standard Woo height. Maybe Bill has a short legged plate setter.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Oh, and yes, it does look like a good cook.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Chicken is a great way to start on the egg. Nice job.
  • Sameydog
    Options
     Maybe Bill has a short legged plate setter.
    Obviously I don't have a clue as it's the one the dealer sold to me and I thought it was the "right" one. 

Bill
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Oh no, dare I say I was just pulling your leg?

• Sameydog
    Options
    Oh no, dare I say I was just pulling your leg?
    Probably...being new to this anyone can pull my leg. Well...not literally. I have a bad knee  :)

Bill
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Just checked the CGS store write-up. Tom says that the measurement from the felt line down to the top of the fire ring is approximately 4.25 inches for a standard setup. Is that what yours measures?

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Nice cook.  Don't worry about screwing up.   That is how all of us have learned.  Once you learn and get used to what you are doing you can splurge and get an expensive cut of steak or something.  Until I did, I stayed away from expensive steaks and other expensive fish.  Good thing it doesn't take long.  Even then you won't hit a homerun on everything.  Just blame it on the beer.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH