Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib (reverse sear)

Options
I hope you all had a great day yesterday. This year I cou find a good dry aged prime rib, so I went with a 44Farms wet aged rib roast (sans ribs). 235 grid until 110 internal. Seared on a gasser to 120. Mid-rare bumper to bumper. It also tastes pretty good on a home made yeast roll the day after. J PS - New iPad. I'll work on figuring out how to rotate images, but so far so fail
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't even care that it's sideways. That looks perfect. I love it when you can barely see the grain of the meat.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Looks great! I'd call that rare,though. Yes?
    Kemah, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I guess I'll agree with "rare". It's about 123 internal depending on where you poke.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you have to chase it around the plate, it's perfect. That looks really, really good.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks yummy. I have a 4 bone in the fridge that I am cutting in half so use the Food Saver to freeze it. Father-n-law is cooking one for tomorrow and the wife wants me
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    . and the wife wants me

lucky devil.
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looks yummy. I have a 4 bone in the fridge that I am cutting in half so use the Food Saver to freeze it. Father-n-law is cooking one for tomorrow and the wife wants me

@Ladeback69‌ - I'm guessing your post got cut off, based on your handle I'm not too sure, but I'm chuckling at the way your post was left off...congrats on your wife wanting you!! My wife wants me too...to take out the garbage.
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yours looks better than mine did. Mine was quite good, but I went to 120 and seared to 127 and rested to @133. It was mid rare, but I personally prefer the looks of yours. Our guests probably wouldn't have agreed, at least the vast majority. Beautiful job.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Gdfein said:

@Ladeback69‌ - I'm guessing your post got cut off, based on your handle I'm not too sure, but I'm chuckling at the way your post was left off...congrats on your wife wanting you!! My wife wants me too...to take out the garbage.

Yes it did get cut off, off sorry. I ment to say the wife want me to wait to cook the prime rib I have. I thought I was finished, but I guess it backed up. My handle is a play on my last name and favorite number or the then 51. Sorry again.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ no need to apologize, I got a kick out of it as I'm sure other did. We should all be so lucky ;)
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    We do still love each other a lot after being married over 7 years and together for 10 years December 28.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We do still love each other a lot after being married over 7 years and together for 10 years December 28.

I think I read 10 yrs is the egged pizza yr. now where'd that peel go?
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yours looks better than mine did. Mine was quite good, but I went to 120 and seared to 127 and rested to @133. It was mid rare, but I personally prefer the looks of yours. Our guests probably wouldn't have agreed, at least the vast majority. Beautiful job.

I shot for more rare this time, as in previous efforts I ended up with more medium, having underestimated the amount of carryover cooking, so I pulled it at 110 ish (108 in the middle, 112 in the middle of the outer thirds). A couple more details: - I have had better luck taking off the ribs, closely trimming the meat and tying it into a cylinder. I use the bones for stock, and the meaty trimmings for the best breakfast hash in the world. - LBGE set up indirect with a plate setter and a low drip pan - Ozark Oak, no wood - No water or roasting pan or rack, meat just set on the grid - by happenstance of the schedule, the meat rested for about 30 minutes between the roast and the sear What I am changing next time: - I am going to cut the roast in half so I don't have a temp gradient across the length. Alternatively, I will drop to 220 grid J
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice man. Looks awesome from here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX