Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If not in Chili, how else do you eat beans?

Options
I find beans to be rather bland tasteless mushy gunk.
So there are only 2 ways I find beans to be palatable.
Either mixed in with a bunch of spicy stuff and meat  and tomato sauce as in chili-beans,
or mixed in with a sweeter version of tomato based sauce like in baked BBQ pork'n'beans.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Look up any Indian dal recipe. I could live on them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Visit the Caribbean. Your views will change.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My wife makes a mango-black bean salsa dip that's off the chain.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Here in in the south, slow cooked pintos with a pone of cornbread gets a lot of press. Oh and always in chili ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Pinto beans over rice. And cornbread. ;) Awesomeness right there. Especially if the beans were slow cooked with the bone of a smoked ham. Or the trimmings of smoked ribs. Dash a little hot sauce on top and it is heaven. =P~
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Red beans with sausage over rice.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Refried pinto's done in pork fat, black beans and rice, pintos cooked with jalapenos, and mixed with Mac cheese.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Calico bean dish is probably my all time favorite food
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I find beans to be rather bland tasteless mushy gunk.

This is where we disagree, I can eat a bowl of plain beans (w/salt) and be perfectly happy.  Don't know what else to suggest.... 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Seriously? I love all kinds of beans. I would rather have a serving of pintos or Mom's green beans than a slice of bacon. Not even close! Been known to make a meal of pintos and cornbread, 

Mom's green beans are the best. Cannellonis are good too, especially in my Tuscan veggie soup. 
    Pinto's, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, pick one - they're all great! I usually add kidney beans to my chili, but as with all of these, they are great just as a side dish. As mentioned, a zillion ways to cook 'em. I have a creole style vegetable seasoning mix that I recently discovered. It's great - even when I reduce or even leave out the salt.

Love refried beans, but they have more sodium than I can have these days. So, I open a can of low sodium pinto or black beans, mash up half of 'em, season with some Mexican type seasonings and heat. Wouldn't pass muster at a decent Tex-Mex place, but I do what I have to do and hey, they're beans!  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Cassoulet.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've stopped trying to like Indian food.  I've been to maybe 7 different Indian restaurants, one was overseas.  I've sampled different Indian food at potlucks over the years.

And one indisputable fact has always occurred.  With the one and only exception being Tandoori Chicken, I have never tasted and/or eaten an Indian dish that has left me with the feeling that I want to try that again in the future or that I want to learn how to make that dish.

• Zmokin
    Options
    Here in in the south, slow cooked pintos with a pone of cornbread gets a lot of press. Oh and always in chili ;)
    What is a pone?

• Zmokin
    Options
    My wife makes a mango-black bean salsa dip that's off the chain.  
    I've had black beans and corn in salsa before.  I guess it's back to the whole spicy enough category.

I hate raw tomatoes and raw onions.  I absolutely can not stand them on burgers, in sandwiches, in salads, etc.   But chop them up with jalapenos and cilantro, and they taste different.  Salsa is the only way I enjoy raw onions and raw tomatoes.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Zmokin said:

What is a pone?

Southern Slang for loaf of cornbread. We almost always cook it in a CI skillet and that's a pone of cornbread. It's an old term that goes back to at least colonial America when it was unleavened cornbread. For some reason the name stuck in the foothills of Appalachia. My generation may be the last that know the word though.
  • UncleFred
    Options

THE NAVY GETS THE GRAVY BUT THE ARMY GETS THE BEANS - JERRY LEWIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1-NJOp3y0
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any bean cooked correctly and seasoned with enough sodium chloride is a win in my book, my friends.
    Options
    Z, I think you are having trouble because of canned beans that have then been overlooked. Try this. Pick a recipe you like that has beans in it. Then go buy a bag of that dried bean in the store. Cook them properly in water until done to your liking. Then season them. Try them with various spices. Obviously some beans go better with various profiles. I would try several varieties. Then tell us you don't like beans. Here are some classics. Split pea with ham, black bean soup, white beans with ham, baked beans with salt pork, black eyed peas, hummus, all of these are mostly bean and less other stuff. OR open a can of black beans sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and and heat in the microwave. Dollop of sour cream, Dip with tortillas or corn chips--money.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Boracho beans!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I think @jstroke is right that only using canned beans might be a culprit, especially if it is the texture you really don't like.  If you cook your own you can control the texture, and shut the pot off when the texture is something you like. I'm also not sure why you feel it is bad to add additional flavorings, I mean I don't really like lobster if it isn't dipped in melted butter or steak if it isn't vigorously salted and peppered.

I have some canned beans in the house, but 95% of the time I cook from dry.  I soak for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.  Drain the beans.  In a pot large enough to hold all the beans and water to cover by a couple of inches, sweat minced onion, celery, and 3-4 garlic cloves.  Add the beans and liquid to cover the beans by a couple of inches.  The liquid can be all water, all broth, or a mix of the two.  Drop in a bay leaf, bring to a boil, reduce to a solid simmer, and cook until they are done to your liking.

Also, if you want a meat laced 'gateway' to beans, google cassoulet as @tackman suggested, or google feijoada (the national dish of Brazil and IMHO one of the best things you can possibly eat) and find a recipe you like.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    You'll make a lot of friends with this....

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So you find beans to be bland tasteless mushy gunk, understandable I suppose in their plain simmered in water form.  Then again flour and water would fall into the same category but with a little tweaking those two ingredients form the basis for the most popular foods on earth.  Beans are similar & I believe one of the most versatile food products on earth.  Anything you can imagine you can create with beans.  One of the house favorites here is the classic pasta e fagioli, we make a few batches every winter & it's perfect for cold weather.  Another is a mixture of beans, corn, onions & Rotel on a tortilla, pop on the egg with some shredded cheddar & it's an instant nacho pizza, we made about 1000 of those this past summer & no matter who shows up they can't get enough of them.  Here's some other things I've put them in:

Brown rice with white cedar smoked/olive oil fried bratwurst, yellow corn & black beans:

Black bean pumpkin burgers:

Similar but this is a mushroom black bean burger:

Made this batch of lentil 'meatballs' just the other night, essentially it's made just like a meatball but substitute cooked lentils for ground beef.  They were pretty damn good & if you're ever faced with making an alternative for a vegetarian house guest these will work great:

On the plate with some homemade gnocchi:

Red & white beans and rice:

Cold salad with kidney beans & quinoa:

Beans, like mushrooms (particularly portabella) are about as close as you can get to a decent meat substitute so if you're the experimenting type think along those lines.  They take on a whole different texture when mashed as well becoming a binder similar to ground meat.  For example with the burgers I usually mash about half the beans into a refried bean consistency and leave the other half whole so you get the binding quality along with the whole bean texture in the final product, it's excellent.  I've incorporated beans and or shrooms into many dishes that otherwise call for meat with very good results.  Beans have limitless possibilities
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Wow, I have to follow that post? 
    All I wanted to say was Pasta Fagoli, but soak dired beans do not use canned unless you are in a rush.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This is a great mostly bean recipe.  Uses all kinds:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/classic-texas-caviar/

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I've stopped trying to like Indian food.  I've been to maybe 7 different Indian restaurants, one was overseas.  I've sampled different Indian food at potlucks over the years.

And one indisputable fact has always occurred.  With the one and only exception being Tandoori Chicken, I have never tasted and/or eaten an Indian dish that has left me with the feeling that I want to try that again in the future or that I want to learn how to make that dish.
    There are a lot of folks who don't like the basic spice blends or their perfume. My wife was one of them. She loves it when I make it but won't go to a restaurant.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    So you find beans to be bland tasteless mushy gunk, understandable I suppose in their plain simmered in water form.  Then again flour and water would fall into the same category but with a little tweaking those two ingredients form the basis for the most popular foods on earth.  Beans are similar & I believe one of the most versatile food products on earth.  Anything you can imagine you can create with beans.  One of the house favorites here is the classic pasta e fagioli, we make a few batches every winter & it's perfect for cold weather.  Another is a mixture of beans, corn, onions & Rotel on a tortilla, pop on the egg with some shredded cheddar & it's an instant nacho pizza, we made about 1000 of those this past summer & no matter who shows up they can't get enough of them.  Here's some other things I've put them in:

Brown rice with white cedar smoked/olive oil fried bratwurst, yellow corn & black beans:

Black bean pumpkin burgers:

Similar but this is a mushroom black bean burger:

Made this batch of lentil 'meatballs' just the other night, essentially it's made just like a meatball but substitute cooked lentils for ground beef.  They were pretty damn good & if you're ever faced with making an alternative for a vegetarian house guest these will work great:

On the plate with some homemade gnocchi:

Red & white beans and rice:

Cold salad with kidney beans & quinoa:

Beans, like mushrooms (particularly portabella) are about as close as you can get to a decent meat substitute so if you're the experimenting type think along those lines.  They take on a whole different texture when mashed as well becoming a binder similar to ground meat.  For example with the burgers I usually mash about half the beans into a refried bean consistency and leave the other half whole so you get the binding quality along with the whole bean texture in the final product, it's excellent.  I've incorporated beans and or shrooms into many dishes that otherwise call for meat with very good results.  Beans have limitless possibilities
    This is a Big Green Egg forum Mister! I see nothing but frypans there. You would probably use a pizza oven as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options
    This is a Big Green Egg forum Mister! I see nothing but frypans there. You would probably use a pizza oven as well.
    Hey, if it makes you happy any of this crap can be thrown on a BGE, I was simply trying to help the nice man with some bean ideas as I did note the essence of his query to be one of 'what good are beans' rather than 'I love beans but not sure how to cook them on the BGE'.  I wouldn't have expected you to pick up on this subtlety but in the future if you could do us all a favor & just assume you don't know what you're talking about then perhaps we could dispense with the hurtfulness; that would be nice for all involved, m'kay?
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Hey, if it makes you happy any of this crap can be thrown on a BGE, I was simply trying to help the nice man with some bean ideas as I did note the essence of his query to be one of 'what good are beans' rather than 'I love beans but not sure how to cook them on the BGE'.  I wouldn't have expected you to pick up on this subtlety but in the future if you could do us all a favor & just assume you don't know what you're talking about then perhaps we could dispense with the hurtfulness; that would be nice for all involved, m'kay?
    I apologise profusely 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options

Zippylip said:
    I apologise profusely 
    Good, now if you'd kindly learn how to spell we'd really be good
    happy in the hut