Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Payers For Chiefs Eric Berry

Options
The Chiefs Eric Berry has been diagnosed with cancer and now on illness leave and is in Atlanta going through test to see what can be taken care of. He has lymphoma in a mass in his chest. Here is the write up in our local paper. http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/if-cancer-picked-a-fight-with-chiefs-eric-berry-it-picked-on-the-wrong-guy-112414?cmpid=tsmfb:fscom:nflonfox
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This has been really sad to hear. No one deserves this.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    This has been really sad to hear. No one deserves this.

I just hope they caught it early.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Please pray for him. Don't just say "My thoughts and prayers..." Please actually pray for this man.
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    So young. Dang.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Cancer is such a horrible thing. It's kind of sad that the world fights over petty things. I sure wish the powers that be would come together and find a cure for this abomination. He will be in both my thoughts and prayers for sure. Lost my Father to this cruel disease. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    SGH said:
    Cancer is such a horrible thing. It's kind of sad that the world fights over petty things. I sure wish the powers that be would come together and find a cure for this abomination. He will be in both my thoughts and prayers for sure. Lost my Father to this cruel disease. My heart goes out to him and his family.

@SGH, I also losses my father to cancer when I was 9. I can't believe he has been gone 41years. He died of bone cancer and they have a lot of strides in fighting and curing it now. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I am very happy for that and she found it early. I friends fighting cancer and friends that have lost their battle with it, so I have a lot of people who are worse off then me and it kind of brings me down to earth and makes me thankful for what I have.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I lost my first wife to ovarian cancer. It tore my guts watching her get taken one piece at a time. Damn near destroyed me. We adopted an older couple to be grandparents to our girls. Grandma is as tough as they come and is a breast cancer survivor.
    Flint, Michigan
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I don't usually buy onto the conspiracy theories thing, but I believe there is a cure for cancer but it is more profitable to treat it than it is to cure it. Maybe its not a cure per se, but at least a slowdown or something. As Ladeback said its been 41 years since his dad passed and we as a medical community have not one further advancement towards preventing or killing cancer? Sorry for the rant, I too lost my father almost 7 years ago to this crap.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    My wife is a huge TN fan so I remember watching him play when he was in College and thinking that he was going to be a great pro player. I have followed his career so far and he hasn't dissappointed. He seems to be a great young man. The really scary thing is that he's my age. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with him and his family. Hopefully he will recover and live a great full life.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't usually buy onto the conspiracy theories thing, but I believe there is a cure for cancer but it is more profitable to treat it than it is to cure it. Maybe its not a cure per se, but at least a slowdown or something. As Ladeback said its been 41 years since his dad passed and we as a medical community have not one further advancement towards preventing or killing cancer? Sorry for the rant, I too lost my father almost 7 years ago to this crap.
    @hondabbq‌ this is a ridiculous sentiment. Cancer isn't the monolith that it is advertised as. There are various types and grades of each type so there is no be-all cure. "Slowdowns" exist. Look at the survival rates for the most common type of childhood cancer, ALL. In the 60's, the 5-year survival rate was 10%. Today it is near 90%.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I read the article yesterday, while it sucks regardless of age, I think his age and athleticism will help him fight it. As a Raiders fan, here's to hoping he's back very soon.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    There are some nasty variations of lymphoma as there are of all cancers. My father in law passed away in 2013 at Emory of Lukemia. Diagnosis to death was less than 90 days, it was truly shocking.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    He was one helluva Vol. Loved his intensity. I'm sure he'll take that into this fight.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Oy vay.

Not to detract form the intended sentiment of the thread, but dude you are way off. You have no concept of the effort that goes into  cancer care and research. Medical science has come a long way since we used leeches to cure people of vile humors, but there is still much to be known. Cancer is still a horrible disease, because those biochemical reactions called Life have many secrets. 

Trust me, many many bright people are working very hard to stop this.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited November 2014
    Options
    He is one of my all time favorite Vols. Here is a really cool piece on Eric and his father(who also played for Tennessee). His younger twin brothers are freshman on the team this year, just a great family. Prayers.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Ladeback69
    Options

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    He's got a bit of a haul ahead of him, but he will in all likelihood be OK.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike