Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a good pan any suggestions

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I am in need of a new 8in pan seems like every one we have is horrible, probably the dishwasher. I just want a good quality product (preferable made in USA) to fry eggs, make omelets, etc. Any ideas?
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    All Clad or Caphalon. Non-stick skillets are the easiest tool for making eggs. Next would be Cast iron.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    We have a food network non stick that seems to work really well. The dishwasher will do a number on your pans for sure.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Whatever you get, no dishwasher please  ;)
    canuckland
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We have a couple Tfals. Work fine for the money.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Zwilling J.A. Henckels Spirit Thermolon™ Coated Fry Pans - I just got these to replace my Caphalon. So far they work just fine. No dishwasher please. ;;) oops, not made in US!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options
    piney said:
    I am in need of a new 8in pan seems like every one we have is horrible, probably the dishwasher. I just want a good quality product (preferable made in USA) to fry eggs, make omelets, etc. Any ideas?
    I buy cheap ones and replace them after a year or when the coating comes off. Then cut the handles off and use for drip pans.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• piney
    Options
    piney said:
    I buy cheap ones and replace them after a year or when the coating comes off. Then cut the handles off and use for drip pans.
    Good idea Steven...I gonna have a bunch of drip pans
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    They all work great for a while. They really should be washed and hung up or stored by themselves. That don't happen in my house. Wife uses metal spatulas too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• piney
    Options
    I have been comparing clad v/s caphalon trying to decide, would really like USA
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    +1 with All-Clad if you are looking for longevity.  Wish I had purchased a set many years before the 10+ years on them now.  One shot and you are  home-free.  FWIW and YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    piney said:

I wanted USA too. Bought All-clad stainless but needed a non-stick for eggs and I was throwing out my Caphalon. Wanted to buy what Steven recommends - throw-a-way pans. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Many good ones out there. I have an All Clad that I treasure.

The main thing though, as others have said - DO NOT put them in the Dishwasher!
    South SLO County
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I use All Clad and they do not go in the dishwasher!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    i have and use the all clad set. made in PA and quality stuff. I use cast iron at the firehouse and on the egg. I keep them locked up so boneheads don't trash them at work. I love my all clad though
    Beaufort, SC
  • piney
    Options
    i have and use the all clad set. made in PA and quality stuff. I use cast iron at the firehouse and on the egg. I keep them locked up so boneheads don't trash them at work. I love my all clad though
    I am just reading reviews on AlClad from Pa. and it states "some products made overseas" I hate to pay for USA and get Asia
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    piney said:
    all clad are pretty indestructible, they heat completely evenly, can braise, saute, go in the oven, whatever.  don't spray with pam - the propellant is nasty on the steel. 

for eggs i use either my cast iron or calphalon elite.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For an 8" pan for eggs, get a Teflon coated pan that is not too expensive. The coating will wear and you should plan on replacing the pan every couple of years. All-Clad and Caphalon are overkill for this. I love my All-Clad pots and recommend them highly, except for egg cooking. Get a T-Fal Professional Nonstick Fry Pan. They cost less than $30 and work well.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• plumbfir01
    Options
    ALL Clad is very specific and it says if its imported or made In USA... its not a random assortment. I think most of the SS is made domestic and the rest is overseas. look on BedBathBeyond and you can see. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I definitely recommend All-Clad. Manufactured in Pennsylvania south of Pittsburgh. Top quality stuff!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    piney said:

I am just reading reviews on AlClad from Pa. and it states "some products made overseas" I hate to pay for USA and get Asia

The stuff that is made overseas is typically the lids and utensils or the Emeril branded stuff. I've never seen an all Clad pot/pan not made in the USA.
  • piney
    Options
    Sounds good on clad gonna check deeper. I really am interested in American made product.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Options
    Eggcelsior I see what you are saying about lids and accessories that sounds better.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    ALL Clad is very specific and it says if its imported or made In USA... its not a random assortment. I think most of the SS is made domestic and the rest is overseas. look on BedBathBeyond and you can see. 
    Have no idea why y'all are anti free trade. I mean they all have the same expenses we do.
    ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NXFHMm_9U )

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Handcyclist
    Options
    All Clad --their line of basic stainless steel. tri-ply and copper core is made in the USA.  You can't go wrong with any of their stainless steel lines.  They are made in Canonsburg, PA, south of Pittsburgh. Those who said the lids, accessories-and their Emeril line are not made in the USA are right. It's also true of their electronic cook pots, waffle makers, etc.  If you choose All-Clad your biggest decision will be which line to select.  I use the copper core and love it.  It is pricey but worth the evenness of the heat the copper core base provides.  All Clad is now carrying a non-stick line.  Have never used it, it may be worth a try.  A well seasoned cast iron frying pan can is also non-stick--so don't overlook that possibility as well.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Non stick is nothing i would ever have. chemical treated to prevent sticking....typical laziness of our world to choose it. Teflon has been proven to cause cancer, don't you think the next proprietary substance will be as well. (at least some point down the road)
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    $-) sorry for the rant 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was dead set to start chuggin' the All-Clad koolaid until I went to the store and picked one up.  I recommend before buying, to do the same.  The handles on their classic line that you see in most stores are a terrible design.    

Was recommended by a chef years ago to look into the Viking 7-ply cookware line, which is made by Demeyere I believe. Been really pleased thus far.  Only drawback would be price.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Handcyclist
    Options
    If you are ever in Western PA --usually end of summer-- the All Clad factory runs a sale at the Washington County Fair grounds and clears out all their overstock and imperfect products.  The Grove City, PA Prime Outlet Mall, 75 miles north of Pittsburgh. also has a Home Cook Outlet that stocks a huge inventory of All-Clad.  They regularly run 25% off sales and other significant discounts. It's a great place to get good prices on All Clad products.  Like all outlets, you have to be careful what you select.  Be prepared, All Clad is heavy!  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • piney
    Options
    If you are ever in Western PA --usually end of summer-- the All Clad factory runs a sale at the Washington County Fair grounds and clears out all their overstock and imperfect products.  The Grove City, PA Prime Outlet Mall, 75 miles north of Pittsburgh. also has a Home Cook Outlet that stocks a huge inventory of All-Clad.  They regularly run 25% off sales and other significant discounts. It's a great place to get good prices on All Clad products.  Like all outlets, you have to be careful what you select.  Be prepared, All Clad is heavy!  
    Hey, I like that idea. Thanks for the heads up
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The Green Pan - works very well - made in Europe I think, so maybe off your list, Costco in Washington State had the 10" and 12" as a set for <$35. 

Like my friend LS in Ontario says, buy the cheap ones and just replace them every couple of years. We did this until SWMBO got the glass topped clock now in the kitchen. Suddenly you have to have flat cookware or it skids all over the place. No more Lagostina or Cuisinart seconds form Canadian Tire. Cheap does not work on those glass topped monsters.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!