Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

Options

Comments

• drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks henapple
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    drano:  Sorry that I didn't respond.  My computer was in the shop getting fixed this week.  I use 3 medium onions.  I prefer a lot of onion in my chili.  When you cook it until the chili until the brisket is falling apart, the onions are almost "melted" into the chili by then.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Served 2 gallons last night. Apparently I'm a genius. @EggObsessed‌...your name never came up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    =))
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Funny, henapple!  You're going to be sick of that chili by the time Salado rolls around.  You're going to be begging for some chicken noodle soup instead!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Funny, henapple!  You're going to be sick of that chili by the time Salado rolls around.  You're going to be begging for some chicken noodle soup instead!

I don't know. That is some awesome looking chilli. I don't think that I would ever get sick of it!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GreenWave36
    Options
    quick question on this, can I use somewhat dried out/leathery/overcooked brisket in this?  Would the chili mask the fact that the brisket was overdone, or would it not be good?

Thanks.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    I think if you simmer it until it falls apart you'll be fine.  Don't cook it at a boil, just simmer.  I think that the acid in the tomatoes helps break down the meat, so you should be fine.  The recipe is pretty forgiving of "non-perfect" brisket.
    Kelley 
  • ehummelman
    Options
    I can confirm that "non-perfect" brisket works beautifully.  I did my first packer (18 lbs!) last weekend and while the point was amazing, I dried out the flat pretty bad.  I chopped it up and made EggObsessed's chili and I have to say it was the best I've ever had.  Many thanks for the recipe.
  • Hammond1
    Options
    Guys......alternative to the Penderys Chilli powder listed in the recipe? 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    You can order Pendery's Original Chili Powder online, from their website, but if you don't want to do that, just use whatever you think is a really good quality chili powder.
    Kelley 
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Just cooked this with our leftover brisket from Friday. AMAZING! Highly recommended for anyone with leftovers. 
    Dallas, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    FINALLY got a chance to make this chili for a party we hosted Friday night.......AWESOME!!!  Never before have I had guest asking if they can take food home until now.  Fortunately, I managed to save a bit for myself.  Big thanks to @EggObsessed for this recipe.  It will be our "go to" from now on.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @GATraveller:  So glad the chili was a big hit!!  It's such a great way to use left over brisket.  So glad you liked it.
    Kelley 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    It is the perfect way to use up leftover brisket this time of year and the recipe is spot on.  I followed it to a 'T'.  I literally sent 3 containers home with folks so they could have it for lunch the next day.  I kept telling everyone where I got the recipe but now wish I hadn't.   :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    Options
    A friend of mine in McKinney placed 2nd out of 10 in a cook off. He's been egging for 2 months.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @henapple:  Are you saying he made the chili?
    Kelley 
  • henapple
    Options
    Of course. ..
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    For those who want to cook this chili but don't want to cook a whole brisket, TFJ and I did this with a 3lb grass fed chuckie last week and it was out of this world. We modified a little but the idea was much the same.This is a great way to make chili! Thanks for the inspiration Bruce and kelly!

We smoked it until it hit 160 then braised it whole in the chili liquid until it fell apart. Then we shredded it. It was like a hybrid of Bruce and Kelly's chili and Clay Q's pulled beef using chili seasoning instead of BBQ. had tons of smoky flavor. we will be making chili this way from now on. 

You should be able to follow Bruce and Kelly's recipe to letter with chuckie but we were kind of playing around with different techniques so we strayed from the path a little.

Highly recommend trying their recipe and don't worry if you don't want to smoke a whole brisket- get a small chuckie and go for it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I was able to locate a 3lb. cut of brisket flat to use.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    EggObsessed I hope I do justice to your recipe.  We are having a contest at work today and I made your Chili.  We have a suprise judge, Chef Eric Wendorff.  He is the corporate Chef for Wegmans.

I will let you know.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    I'm sure you did just fine.  Good luck!!  Let me know how the judging goes.
    Kelley 
  • fruitguy
    Options
    We'll I owe thanks. Out of 31 dishes your chili ranked #1. The prize: 1 extra day off this year and a $100 gift card
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Score!!!!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @fruitguy:  CONGRATULATIONS!!  That is awesome....and such great prizes!!!
    Kelley 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Way to go @fruitguy

@The Cen-Tex Smoker, that sounds like a super idea.  I've really been wanting to try this recipe.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • henapple
    Options
    I tried hamburger. ..not near as good. I super turboed a packer yesterday for Friday night chili....I mean max turbo.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Yes, @henapple, I tried it once with ground beef too, and it wasn't even in the ball park.  Won't be doing that again.  In a pinch, several people have used either smoked or not smoked, small cubed chuck roast, with good results.  For our purposes, we just enjoy any reason to cook a brisket!
    Kelley 
  • henapple
    Options
    @EggObsessed‌ ...just put a pot on for a neighborhood bonfire tonight.
  • fruitguy
    Options
    If it is a little spicy, what would you add to it?