Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Legs

Options
Sardonicus
Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum

Buffalo Legs . . . Nice and Simple

Drumsticks sprinkled with corn starch and rub

Raised indirect @ 400° for 30 minutes

Basted w/ Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce

Raised direct for two-ish minutes each side

Grilled 10 Buffalo Legs, only three left.

I guess they were good.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great!

At first, I thought you actually cooked up a leg of buffalo ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Buffalo Legs . . . Nice and Simple

Drumsticks sprinkled with corn starch and rub

Raised indirect @ 400° for 30 minutes

Basted w/ Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce

Raised direct for two-ish minutes each side

Grilled 10 Buffalo Legs, only three left.

I guess they were good.

Simple is usually best. I could go for about 30 of them about now. Excellent job =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great looking "Buffalo Legs" !!!  Hadn't thought about substituting legs for wings...but why not ??

Thanks a million...now I've got more experimenting to do this weekend !!!  I'm planning on Reuben Pig Shots,  ABTs and Deer backstraps already. Now I have addded Buffalo Legs !!!!

Thanks, may even go lollipop style !!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome! Next up...Buffalo Spatchcock.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks delicious to me. I would have looked at the last three as a challenge.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Looks great. Is that the grid extender base from the group buy? Do you use it often?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    How is the Sweet Baby Ray's buffalo sauce?  I keep seeing it in huge bottles (2 packs) at BJ's, but don't want to commit to that much sauce w/o a strong recommendation from a trusted source.  (Or someone on the forum  :) )
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    bodski said:
    Looks great. Is that the grid extender base from the group buy? Do you use it often?

@Bodski, Thanks.

And, yes.  That is of the grid extender from OutdoorsThree65.com (I wasn't Egg-blessed at the time of the group buy).

I use it on most cooks (twice/thrice per week, usually).  Very convenient/easy to use and, for a couple of empty-nesters, it's the best and most cost-efficient avenue to bi-level grilling, IMO.  I almost spent twice as much for the AR mostly 'cause its sliding grid is so cool!

Even the swing grate from CGS didn't appeal - If I want grid marks badly enough, I can get 'em with our stainless.

Fortunately, my brain kicked in and I realized we simply don't need all that.  The coin saved went toward ribeye steaks, babybacks, Stoli, etc.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    . . . I'm planning on Reuben Pig Shots,  ABTs and Deer backstraps already. Now I have addded Buffalo Legs !!!!

Thanks, may even go lollipop style !!!

Donnie

Thanks, Donnie, to you and the rest.

I searched for "Reuben Pig Shots" but only found the usual 'pig shots'.  IF you have time, a link to Reubens would be appreciated!

Thanks.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Saw SBR's sauce on sale this past weekend - wished I had grabbed a bottle. How does it compare to regular Buffalo Wing sauce? (4parts Franks Original:2parts butter:1 part sugar)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sardonicus
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How is the Sweet Baby Ray's buffalo sauce?  I keep seeing it in huge bottles (2 packs) at BJ's, but don't want to commit to that much sauce w/o a strong recommendation from a trusted source.  (Or someone on the forum  :) )

Their Buffalo Wing Sauce is true to the taste of traditional Buffalo Wings.  My wife and SIL prefer it straight, but I feel the need to add a little heat.

Also note that Sweet Baby Ray's has another wing sauce labeled "Sweet Chili".  We've had a bottle in the pantry all summer and have yet to try it, so can't comment.  Maybe I can try it on SmokeyPitt's idea of "Buffalo Spatchcock" . . . We'll see.

:)>-

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Thanks for the grid extender feedback, @Sardonicus! Looks like you keep the base on your cooking grid full time. Does it get in the way?  Do you use something like a Weber grid for the top layer? (I bought one during the group buy, but have never used it.)

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have used SBR's Buffalo sauce quite a bit and like it a lot.  Also have used Cookie's brand wing sauce which I really like too.  I usually kick up the heat a bit by lightly dusting the wings with Swamp Venom or even better, Habenero Death Dust.  Those legs look great!  I have never made Buffalo legs but am going to now!!!
    XL BGE
  • Sardonicus
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bodski said:
    Thanks for the grid extender feedback, @Sardonicus! Looks like you keep the base on your cooking grid full time. Does it get in the way?  Do you use something like a Weber grid for the top layer? (I bought one during the group buy, but have never used it.)

@Bodski, yes sir.  The base hasn't come off once.  As you've seen, it just finger-tightens with a couple of wing nuts so it wouldn't be a big deal to take it off.  It just doesn't get in the way.  For us, anyway.

When we don't have a need for it, the upper tier simply lifts off.  Easy peasy.

That's a 13" Weber-esque grid on top.  We use it with a Woo (Woo and upper tier are removed for steaks & burgers) and MAYBE we could use a 15" grid without scraping the dome or interfering with the thermometer's stem. 

Of course, without the Woo, the primary grid will be at PSetter level so the upper tier can be larger.

Man, Bodski! 

If you've had the thing since the group buy, that means it's over a year old and still virginal :-O

Unless you're using something eIse for elevation, I suggest you try it.  It's super easy to install and just as easy to remove if you don't like/need it.

• dldawes1
    Options
    @SARDONICUS......Reuben Pig Shots in the recipe section of The BGENest.com !!! I'm making some now !!!  Pics by tomorrow !!

• Sardonicus
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    @SARDONICUS......Reuben Pig Shots in the recipe section of The BGENest.com !!! I'm making some now !!!  Pics by tomorrow !!

@DLDawes1 - Got it, thank you! 

I have yet to make that site a habit and forget it's there most days.

(If only I had a T-shirt to remind me . . . :-j

(Just kidding, BGCraig.  Couldn't resist the cheap shot.  I actually wish you well.  Honest.):)>- )

As a huge fan of Reuben sammies, I was hoping you/someone had come up with a way to incorporate corned beef into the pig shot mix.  Still looks good, though.  That's a great idea!

Looking forward to your Reuben PS pics, Donnie. 

I hope you have the time to take 'em and post 'em!

• dldawes1
    Options
    No reason why we couldn't use the pill bottle to cut circles of sliced corned beef !! Just hadn't thought of it yet !!!!!

I'll try it next time !!

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @dldawes1 - I appreciate you adding that recipe at the site. It looks delicious for sure.

Sardonicus - FWIW the full website address is www.thebgenest.com :)
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    Sardonicus - FWIW the full website address is www.thebgenest.com :)

Yeah I know, Zarcon.  I visited at the start and signed up a day or few ago. 

I'm just still developing the Nest habit, that's all.

I'll be there shortly.  :)

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @Sardonicus - Rock On!! And Thanks!