Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Your SWMBO Still Cook?

Options
I was wondering, does your other half cook much anymore? I know there are some ladies on the egg forum too so do they also cook more than there husband's or boyfriend? When I had a gas grill I cooked sometimes, but now I cook 3 to 4 times a week or we are eating leftovers. My wife loves that I do most of the cooking now and I do to. Just a general question. This should be interesting.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I "try" to Egg 2-3 times per week. The wife loves to cook as much as I do. So yes she still cooks and damn good at it also. It's probably the main reason I'm on a diet.   :((
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    When I am out of town or if I have tennis in the evening she will cook, she has no interest in learning how to cook on the egg, she will grill on the gasser though and she does all the baking as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Ladeback69 I'm on the same boat as you  :D SWMBO relies on me to cook on the egg 1-3 times a week.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I cook only on weekends due to work. However, I cook a bunch of proteins that she adds to meals throughout the week. If I was home each night, I would cook every night.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I cook on the weekends. Wilma works nights so we eat very soon after I get home from work.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Norma calls the stove "the big hot thing" and the fridge "the big cold thing". This goes back to way before the egg.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I cook at least 3 nights or more since I got the Egg.. She does help with prep work....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    She doesn't cook nearly as much as she used to, but still knows how and does an awesome job. I even have her taking food pics on occasion.

Here's a baked ziti dish I was going to do but ran out of time one week and ended up traveling for work. She sent a pic of it to me. I was very proud. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    MDSH cooks once a year and he started the tradition 2 years ago. He is planning on cooking a third time. It's fun to watch. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    When I'm home i do the cooking. Don't get me wrong you can live on what the mrs cooks butyou most likely would want to ccommit Harry carry when finished.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    She never cooked to begin with, I didn't marry her for her cooking skills :D
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes and very good. She will only use the Mini if Egging.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine cooks circles around me. I do most of the proteins these days but she does all the baking and wokking on the eggs and most anything else done inside. She is cooking for 250 this week with basically only me as her sous chef. She's a badass.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mine definitely cooks and very well I might add. However, she prefers I cook & HuskerMaMa knows I love to cook so it works out well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SWMBO is a fantastic baker, cookies and bars are unbelievable. Although she never eats them herself, her pies are really good. 
    12 years ago when I retired I had much more time to spend in the pit and she let me take over - much less to clean up if I do the cooking outside. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine used to microwave eggs when I met her if that tells you anything. She has gotten alot better since then but she doesn't do alot of cooking. I cook everything on the egg I can as often as I can. The oven in our house still hasn't been turned on and we moved in April 1st.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    When I can't cook on the Egg due to work, she cooks on the big clock in the kitchen. Killer Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight.
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    My wife cooked today. After dinner I asked her, "can you remember the last time we had meat not cooked on the egg?" We couldn't remember the last time. BTW... She never cooks on the egg.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    My wife is an excellent cook, only problem is time.  She works a bit later than me, so it's practical for me to do most of the dinners anyway.  Even before I got the Egg (which was about 3 1/2 weeks ago), I could do some pretty good things with steak, salmon, chicken, lamb, and pork chops, both indoors and on my old charcoal grill.  The Egg has opened up a whole lot of new stuff for me to do that I never really did before. I've already done half a dozen cast iron deep dish pizzas, my first ribs, and some appetizers that have been quite remarkable.  I haven't had the chance to do up a really big cook or an all day low and slow brisket, but it's coming.  My oven has quickly become a large box with a clock on it, and my stove is just used to prep food before it goes on the Egg. 
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    My wife hates to cook and I enjoy it so it works out pretty good. She is a good cook but doesn't enjoy it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Like several above said my wife is excellent at baking,desserts & does a helluva roast beef. She works later than me so I generally do supper be it inside or out. We take Sunday afternoons to cook together, we call it "Test Kitchen Sunday".

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    Funny thread.. We were just talking about this the other day about how she rarely cooks these days. My woman is a very good cook and used to do the majority of the cooking, 4-6 nights a week. I never really cooked before but started a couple of years a go (stove /oven) as a stress reliever. I really enjoy it and now cook all the time. She absolutely LOVES everything off the Egg. She likes to say I surpassed her in the kitchen and it would be an insult to try to follow me up. Complete B.S. but I am sucker for a good compliment..
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Last night was the first time in months that my wife cooked dinner for the three of use. Now we have some other meals not on the where I cooked soap. She did cook some meat a few weeks ago for tacos. Its easier to remember what she cooked over what I did. Tonight I am trying our Mac N Cheese on the egg. New post to come. Having get together for World Series.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My wife's idea of cooking is grilled cheese. Or papa johns. [-(
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My wife is not much of a cook. She doesn't like it. What she makes is ok, not great most of the time. Since the Egg 3 weeks ago, I'm cooking nearly every night we don't have some sort of sporting event (2 boys 8&12). The boys are asking what are you cooking tonight daddy? It's awesome and I'm having a blast. However, when I cook, I DESTROY a kitchen with dirty cutting boards, knives and dishes. I hate cleaning up and she doesn't mind the clean up. Nice balance. The one complaint she has is the time to get to temp and it's harder to do something spur of the moment. Although I'm getting better.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    My wife never cooked to begin with lol. Ive always loved to cook so it's never really bothered me.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options

My wife is not much of a cook. She doesn't like it. What she makes is ok, not great most of the time. Since the Egg 3 weeks ago, I'm cooking nearly every night we don't have some sort of sporting event (2 boys 8&12). The boys are asking what are you cooking tonight daddy? It's awesome and I'm having a blast. However, when I cook, I DESTROY a kitchen with dirty cutting boards, knives and dishes. I hate cleaning up and she doesn't mind the clean up. Nice balance. The one complaint she has is the time to get to temp and it's harder to do something spur of the moment. Although I'm getting better.

I know what you mean about it taking a little time to get up to temp. I am getting my egg up to 400 so I can cook some bacon on my CI skillet. I have anXL and would like a medium or small to cooks during the week. I here they get up to temp faster. My wife doesn't like to clean up so I get stuck with that too.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ...I know what you mean about it taking a little time to get up to temp. I am getting my egg up to 400 so I can cook some bacon on my CI skillet. I have anXL and would like a medium or small to cooks during the week. I here they get up to temp faster. ...
    FYIY I hear people say this too but I can get my large up to temp much faster than my small.  YMMV. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Tonight isn't to bad it's at 325 after 20 minutes from light up.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Not really. I cook 80-90% of the time. Im trying to get her to use the joe jr. She thinks its cute. LOL 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD