Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Thank you to SGH and SWMBO... now what?

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,846
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum

So, a few weeks ago my wife asked me what I want for my birthday.  I really don't need anything, but we had this conversation about the time that @SGH posted his recommendation for what knives we should all buy.  I took the recommendation to heart and asked my loving bride for the Victorinox 14" Cimeter, the 14" (or at least 12") Granton edge slicing knife, and the 8" breaking knife. 

To my mild surprise she got it exactly right although it apparently took a little searching on the internet for a slicing knife larger than 12".

So, now I need some recommendations for what to cook so that I can get some use out of them.  I know I can do a brisket and use the slicing knife.  What about the other two?  Do I now need to buy a side of beef just so I can use my knives?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    For those... A full steer, maybe a horse?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Foghorn‌
    Congratulations on the knives my friend. I hope that you enjoy them. You will certainly get a life time of use out of them for sure. As far as what to cook. The sky is the limit. If you are wanting to test the knives, then a whole unseperated beef clod would be great. You can break it down into the 3 individual heads. From there you can seperate farther into flat irons, chuck roll or roast. Happy Birthday my friend and I wish you many, many more.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I'm really glad that you selected the 8" knife as well. It is a excellent all around knife for sure. It's the most used knife that I own. Again congratulations and I hope that you enjoy them.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options

Thanks @SGH.

As I opened the knives I realized that I had underestimated their size.  When my wife asked me "What are you going to use that 14" Cimeter blade for?" my son answered "Fighting off Turkish invaders."

(I should probaly point out that we saw the new Dracula movie two days ago.  Nobody in my family has anything against Turkey or those of Turkish descent.)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    When you have a choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  You obviously have not been married too long but anytime you get what you ask for then a "home-run" for sure.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options

@lousubcap, I don't know how you define "not been married too long" but my loving bride and I celebrated our 21st anniversary last month.  My son - our youngest - got his driver's license last week so we feel like we just got our lives back after 20 years.

OK, I probably feel that way more than she does, but we have been married for 21 years....

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Foghorn-congrats-with your prior description (gifts you suggested) I would have gone well under ten years...Obviously my profession is not counseling, congrats!  I am still in the training SWMBO relationship after 32 years and I will leave this thread with that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options

For some reason on my computer, the pic of the knives doesn't seem to be showing up.  I'll try again.  Apologies if this is a duplication.

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Thanks @SGH.

As I opened the knives I realized that I had underestimated their size.  When my wife asked me "What are you going to use that 14" Cimeter blade for?" my son answered "Fighting off Turkish invaders."

(I should probaly point out that we saw the new Dracula movie two days ago.  Nobody in my family has anything against Turkey or those of Turkish descent.)

now that's funny :))
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I had a similar experience with @henapple‌ but I knew what to do.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I was in a similar situation about what kind of TP to buy at the house.  Told the wife, I will as @SGH to see what TP he uses.  Sure enough, he's a Charmin man.  What did we buy, you got it, Charmin.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Thanks @SGH.

I got the 14" on @SGH recommendation as well and my wife said the same thing she calls it my samurai sword. When I jelly rolled a pork loin for the Eggtoberfest it was like using a filet knife through salmon I love that I can cut just about anything. Thanks again @SGH, the 8" is next.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Options

@theyolksonyou, I'm glad you appreciated my son's humor.  He's a funny kid.

@tarheelmatt, you're missing the point.  Now that I have these knives, I hope to explore more options for cooking.  Or are you suggesting that the Charmin has opened up some new defecatory worlds for you?

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

@Fred19Flintstone,

So now you and @henapple are communist beer brothers?

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@tarheelmatt, you're missing the point.  Now that I have these knives, I hope to explore more options for cooking.  Or are you suggesting that the Charmin has opened up some new defecatory worlds for you?

No, I got the point.  I was only kidding around and not meant to be a douche comment.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Foghorn said:

No, I got the point.  I was only kidding around and not meant to be a douche comment.  

I got it Matt, @SGH is a guru on TP as well. I think his TP thread is second only to @travistricks Brisket thread. :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone picked up what I was putting down... You're on it @JRWhitee!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Caboholic_EggHead
    Options

I was wondering if anyone picked up what I was putting down... You're on it @JRWhitee!  

I thought the Charmin was doing that.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Caboholic_EggHead, it wipes up what we put down... but in a round about way, yes, it does... 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Options

"No, I got the point. I was only kidding around and not meant to be a douche comment."

@tarheelmatt, totally understood.  I actually thought it was very funny and I was just trying to have fun back at you. 

Although I have to admit that by being nice to each other, we just passed up an opportunity to have a thread blow up for the amusement of others....  alas, maybe during college hoops season we can pull that off...

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Foghorn, dammit!  My apologies for missing the opportunity to have an epic thread.  

I guess one of us could have called the other an idiot for not using something correctly (you the knives and me, well, the TP).  That tends to get $hit stirred in heart beat.  

Now, there could be heated rivalry threads coming soon though now that I understand some of the playing field.... 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    We could always start thread on how bad PBR really sucks and why anyone would drink it. =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Options

"My apologies for missing the opportunity to have an epic thread."

@tarheelmatt, if we are going to have some sort of epic argument you will have to stop being so nice and apologetic.

That sort of thing goes against my nature as well.  Even during basketball season I'd have a hard time with it because I never really developed a hatred for UNC during my time at Duke.  That's probably because I always found UNC women so accomodating...

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    ⚡️⚡️

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Foghorn said:

"My apologies for missing the opportunity to have an epic thread."

@tarheelmatt, if we are going to have some sort of epic argument you will have to stop being so nice and apologetic.

That sort of thing goes against my nature as well.  Even during basketball season I'd have a hard time with it because I never really developed a hatred for UNC during my time at Duke.  That's probably because I always found UNC women so accomodating...

@Foghorn, you know what they say, "Carolina Girls, Best In The World".... 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site