Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ALCS

Options
2»

Comments

• tridogdude
    Options
    Focker said:
    Would love to see another I-70 series!   

The downtime, and lack of a challenging opponent thus fa,r may hurt em.  

While I may agree with you on the downtime hurting them, I can't agree that they haven't had a challenging opponent. Granted, both the Angels and Orioles couldn't produce on offense, they were two of the top teams in the whole MLB. Yeah, they both played like **** but you cannot say that KC had nothing to do with that.
    KC got into the playoffs at the last moment and have done nothing but showed what playing pure baseball is all about. Producing runs with unconventional choices on offense and playing good defense. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Focker said:

While I may agree with you on the downtime hurting them, I can't agree that they haven't had a challenging opponent. Granted, both the Angels and Orioles couldn't produce on offense, they were two of the top teams in the whole MLB. Yeah, they both played like **** but you cannot say that KC had nothing to do with that.
    KC got into the playoffs at the last moment and have done nothing but showed what playing pure baseball is all about. Producing runs with unconventional choices on offense and playing good defense. 
    First off, like Matheny, hat is off to the Giants.  Another classy organization and great baseball city.

Does it really matter what a team does during the regular season?  In October?  Take Clayton Kershaw, for example. 

"Pure baseball"?
    Good D will get you far.  Solid rotation with a strong bullpen, even further.  In the postseason, you have to produce runs.  Period.  Need to keep in mind you Royal and Os fans are new to the scene. hahaha j/k  

Here's a fun fact.
    No team that swept a best of 7 ALCS, have won a WS.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How does that have anything to do with the current teams playing? Gah, no matter what sport, those are always some of the dumbest stats posted. Nothing but filler for the announcers during otherwise empty screen time. To bad Vin Scully can't call this series.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    I think it says fun fact, not prediction.

Just my opinion, but I can't listen to Vin any more. There was a time when he was the ****, but now he just prattles on and on and on filling every second of airtime with name-dropping stories of yore. He is still one of the most fair and objective and knows more about baseball than anyone, but to me he is unlistenable, but then so is Joe Buck.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Joe Buck is awful. At least McCarver has retired. Those two were like the dumb and dumber of the World Series on Fox.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options

Joe Buck is awful. At least McCarver has retired. Those two were like the dumb and dumber of the World Series on Fox.

Those two should never have been allowed to call any Cards games in the post-season. At least this year JB wasn't so obviously biased. McCarver was a terrible homer and JB just wants to lean toward the winner to sound smart, but it's baseball and predictions are foolhardy.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Focker said:

Focker said:

First off, like Matheny, hat is off to the Giants.  Another classy organization and great baseball city.

Does it really matter what a team does during the regular season?  In October?  Take Clayton Kershaw, for example. 

"Pure baseball"?
    Good D will get you far.  Solid rotation with a strong bullpen, even further.  In the postseason, you have to produce runs.  Period.  Need to keep in mind you Royal and Os fans are new to the scene. hahaha j/k  

Here's a fun fact.
    No team that swept a best of 7 ALCS, have won a WS.

I also believe no team had one 8 straight in one year until the Royals. Yes the Giants look pretty good right now, but so do the Royals. The Royals also have a great bullpen and their hitters have gotten hot and their speed is something to contend with. It should be a great series and it's hard to say who well win. Both of these teams are wildcard teams so it's going to be a fight.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think it says fun fact, not prediction. Just my opinion, but I can't listen to Vin any more. There was a time when he was the ****, but now he just prattles on and on and on filling every second of airtime with name-dropping stories of yore. He is still one of the most fair and objective and knows more about baseball than anyone, but to me he is unlistenable, but then so is Joe Buck.
    Joe Buck just rides his dad's coattails. @Legume The reason you are criticizing Scully is what makes him the greatest in the game. He is a radio play by play announcer, it's his job to pain a picture with words. I get it, since your a Giants fan  ;) How many other announcers can make you feel like your at the game? I can think of one other who is close to Scully(which you'll appreciate), Jon Miller. He is who I grew up listening to when he called the O's until Angelos dumped him because the moron couldn't handle Miller criticizing poor play on the field. Hearing his voice is like getting wrapped up in a blanket and is the only reason I used to watch Sunday night baseball. Once they're gone, no one will ever come close again. In regards to the "fun fact", that is just trolling with a BS fact that scrolls across the screen to fill time. It means nothing to what's currently happening on the field in this situation. The Giants and Royals didn't get to the WS by blowing people out, they dominated late innings with relievers and didn't make many mistakes.
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Being a Giant fan, I found Buck and Reynolds so biased and unlistenable I turned the TV off and listened to Jon Miller and Kruk on local radio. I'm glad KC made it, but I'm sorry, the  Giants do not lose in October!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    chipman said:
    Being a Giant fan, I found Buck and Reynolds so biased and unlistenable I turned the TV off and listened to Jon Miller and Kruk on local radio. I'm glad KC made it, but I'm sorry, the  Giants do not lose in October!
    Hey now, the Royals haven't lost in October in over 30 years!
  • Legume
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I know it's probably an easy leap to attribute my feelings about Vin to Dodgers v Giants, but it really has nothing to do with that or radio v TV.  I lived in LA for 5 years about 25 years ago, I heard Vin in his prime and appreciated the hell out of him.  For my ear, I think he's not what he once was, but he's a legend, he'll continue to do what he does until he's ready to go and I have no problem with that.  I just don't enjoy listening to him any longer.  I know Jon Miller is celebrated as well, but I'm not really a fan, granted I never heard him at his prime, only since he's been with the Giants.

I enjoy the fun facts, odd stats, etc.  To me, that's the culture of baseball, it's not terribly meaningful and I don't consider it trolling.  It's certainly not predictive.  Believe me, I saw plenty of that two years ago when the Giants had their back against the wall in the NLCS vs the Cards.
    ;)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    chipman said:

They sounded like they loved the Giants and they can do know wrong. Let's face it, these commentators all suck so just watch the game and enjoy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Legume said:
    I enjoy the fun facts, odd stats, etc.  To me, that's the culture of baseball, it's not terribly meaningful and I don't consider it trolling.  It's certainly not predictive.  Believe me, I saw plenty of that two years ago when the Giants had their back against the wall in the NLCS vs the Cards.
    ;)
    @Legume, I totally agree about the facts and stats. In this instance it was trolling. Using his logic, the regular season shouldn't be played and all teams should make the playoffs. He's just fulfilling the "best fans in baseball" trope. 

Poor game management is a big reason for the Cardinal's loss last night, along with the rest of the series. They certainly produced runs(8 HR). The Giants didn't even get a HR(2 total) until Game 5. Errors and overall poor play allowed runs to score for the Giants. Wacha? Really?
  • Focker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Focker‌ image

Just messing around, homie.
  • Focker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Me 2 cuz
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Focker‌ it was a rough day at work. Thank goodness it's the weekend. I might need to go back to floor nursing.
  • Focker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior,
    Sorry to hear that.  Was it another grenade(colostomy bag) in the trenches? j/k
    Story cracked me up btw.

Good days with an occasional **** day, happens.  On the floor, it's all **** days, with an occasional normal day.  Don't do it. lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Focker‌ no doubt. The nice thing about floor nursing is leaving work at work. I put out three fires today that I have to check the embers on come Monday. On the other hand, I like having an intact back.
  • Focker
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior

Very good points.  Fires run rampant on the floor too, some can burn for weeks. 

Hope they are all snuffed come Monday.  
    Enjoy the weekend. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities