Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken using AR R&B -- Rig Extender or No Rig Extender?

Options
Hello All:

Last weekend I cooked two small 3 lb chickens using my AR R&B and used the Rig Extender (so well above felt line).  My dome temperature got away from me a bit and reached 425 or maybe even 450 for a short span (5 min or so).  I'm thinking this is my problem, so today I am going to try and make sure that doesn't happen again.  While the chickens were very moist and edible inside, the skin was somewhat burnt (not edible).  My question is whether I should even be using the Rig Extender or simply use the highest setting of the AR without the use of the extender.  I just want to improve my chances for a good outcome this afternoon--two chickens about 3.7 lbs each.  (By the way I am using an herbal based rub which calls for Olive oil, so sugar shouldn't be a factor)

Anyway, I've cooked about four or five batches using the spatchcock method on direct heat and I don't like my batting average (probably about 50% success rate).  Thank you in advance.
LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I should have added that I cooked the chickens for only 45 minutes last weekend.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    I cook all chickens & turkeys spatchcocked at 400 direct raised on adj rig. Have used the extender on turkey just fine. 99% of the time just the adj rig.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mahenryak
    Options

Mickey said:
    I cook all chickens & turkeys spatchcocked at 400 direct raised on adj rig. Have used the extender on turkey just fine. 99% of the time just the adj rig.
    This is good to know.  Thank you.    Maybe I'll try it without the extender this time just so I have a little more space away from the dome, but it sounds like I just have to watch my heat.

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    I have the same rig but not the extender....yet. I've cooked a few spatchcock chickens with just the rig like Mickey as well. turned out great.
  • mahenryak
    Options

Lvnthedrm said:
    I have the same rig but not the extender....yet. I've cooked a few spatchcock chickens with just the rig like Mickey as well. turned out great.
    Definitely going extender-less, today, not that was my problem, but I was curious to know what most were doing.  Now when we say 400 are we going by the dome thermometer or a digital probe on grill level?  Thanks.

• mahenryak
    Options
    mahenryak said:

Lvnthedrm said:
    Definitely going extender-less, today, not that was my problem, but I was curious to know what most were doing.  Now when we say 400 are we going by the dome thermometer or a digital probe on grill level?  Thanks.
    Edit: I get a little nervous using my digital probe with this temp. Don't want to fry it.

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    I didn't set the probe for grate temp but I did the chicken at 375 dome which probably puts the grate temp at about 400
  • mahenryak
    Options

Lvnthedrm said:
    I didn't set the probe for grate temp but I did the chicken at 375 dome which probably puts the grate temp at about 400
    Thank you for that.  That's what I think I needed confirmation on and I probably should have known better.  I think I've definitely been cooking these a little too hot.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have any of that expensive stuff. Just a weber grid and three bolts to raise it to gasket level. 400 dome temp. Direct. Has worked every time. In fact I cook most things there. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    Options
    I don't have any of that expensive stuff. Just a weber grid and three bolts to raise it to gasket level. 400 dome temp. Direct. Has worked every time. In fact I cook most things there. :)
    I hear you, Carolina Q.  I'm looking for any crutch I can find.  I don't really have a knack for cooking but I keep on trying.  This makes me a bit of a sucker for the gizmos and gadgets. 
    :)

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Don't misunderstand. I wasn't slamming the AR. Lots of folks have and love them. The AR is serious overkill for the cooking I do, that's all. Was just saying gasket level 400 direct works great. How you choose to get there is up to you - and your wallet. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I have continuous success with just the AR at 375°. It takes about 45 minutes.

I've started using a sit-alone Thermoworks probe in the thigh to make sure it gets to 180°. I can just look at the display and see the temp without lifting the lid. What a great invention!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Options

I have continuous success with just the AR at 375°. It takes about 45 minutes.

I've started using a sit-alone Thermoworks probe in the thigh to make sure it gets to 180°. I can just look at the display and see the temp without lifting the lid. What a great invention!
    Judy, got a link for this "sit alone probe"? Thx!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    Options

Judy, got a link for this "sit alone probe"? Thx!
    Ditto, please!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @mahenryak‌, are you cooking the birds with skin up or down? I've had my egg get away from me and had it at 500° for a bit and it still came out great. I spatchcock at just above the felt line. I use bricks to raise the grid. Every once in awhile the bone side gets a little charred, but has no overall effect on the skin. Also, was the skin actually burnt or was it a lot of smoke? If you don't have a clean fire, you'll get a nasty taste from the bad smoke.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • mahenryak
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @mahenryak‌, are you cooking the birds with skin up or down? I've had my egg get away from me and had it at 500° for a bit and it still came out great. I spatchcock at just above the felt line. I use bricks to raise the grid. Every once in awhile the bone side gets a little charred, but has no overall effect on the skin. Also, was the skin actually burnt or was it a lot of smoke? If you don't have a clean fire, you'll get a nasty taste from the bad smoke.
    I have been cooking it skin up (breasts up).  It wasn't too much smoke, but I appreciate the insight.  It was charred.  For what it's worth, I have them in their cooking now and I through caution to the wind and placed my Maverick out there.  I'm noticing that 400 grate is just a little over 300 on the dome thermometer.  My current temperature is Meat 111 and BBQ 392.  To achieve this cooler temperature, though, I had to control the top vent and it is looking like it is going to get too much smoke so I am a little concerned.  We shall see.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @mahenryak‌ raised direct and the temps are 100 degrees off? You may want to check the dome thermometers calibration. How did the chicken turn out?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • mahenryak
    Options
    My dome thermometer might be in need of replacement?  The good news is that my chicken turned out just fine this time.  I will try to attach some pictures.
    :)

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks good! You can check and calibrate the thermo by taking it out of the egg and putting the probe in boiling water and adjust the nut in the back if needed.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • mahenryak
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Looks good! You can check and calibrate the thermo by taking it out of the egg and putting the probe in boiling water and adjust the nut in the back if needed.
    Thank you very much for the kind words and the calibration information!  I will do just that (boiling water -- adjustment).

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sheeken looks excellent !!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Sheeken looks excellent !!!
    Thank you! 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Look at that juice!
    Judy in San Diego
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Thank you, Judy.  I'm glad you posted as it gave me the idea to use my Maverick, which led to me realizing how far off my dome thermo was (along with Blind99's insight).  I must have inadvertently twisted the nut or something.  Blind99's advice to calibrate it really showed this, as well.  I think I have it in good shape, now.  Thanks everyone for all your advice!  I think I am going to leave the clamp off the back of the thermometer from now on so this isn't the cause.

• Hunter1881
    Options
    I just put stock grate on top of AR. Do not use the extender. Cook at about 400. Mine seems to settle at 395. I love how the chickens turn out. Just my .02. Good luck.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have the extender. Try doing a chicken on top of the extender with the oval stone in place on 1.5. I think the skin is better when cooked closer to the top of the dome. I do all my chickens indirect.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • mahenryak
    Options

I have the extender. Try doing a chicken on top of the extender with the oval stone in place on 1.5. I think the skin is better when cooked closer to the top of the dome. I do all my chickens indirect.
    Thank you, Terrebandit.  I think I might try this setup the next time I do some Cornish Game hens.