Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

used eggs for sale?

Options
I have been lurking for a while ...waiting until I saved up some money ..does anyone know where there are any used Eggs for sale , maybe in good condition at nice price?
Smokin' in the beautiful Oley Valley (in PA.) 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If you have been around for a while, then true used no warranty BGE's are best found thru Craigslist.  If you want to get an eggcellent deal with a warranty buy a demo BGE at an eggiest.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

lousubcap said:
    If you have been around for a while, then true used no warranty BGE's are best found thru Craigslist.  If you want to get an eggcellent deal with a warranty buy a demo BGE at an eggiest.  FWIW-

This is right.  It's worth it to save up the few extra dollars to get a demo egg plus warranty.  It will pay for itself in the long run.

NOLA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Go to an EggFest. Larges $750 + or - And Full Warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options

I agree with Mickey the warranty could be a big issue later on, that being said I did buy from craigslist  a med. with platesetter,nest, shelves, 3/4 bag of lump, chimney, pizza stone ash tool, gripper for 300.00..never was cooked on.. he could not figure how to light it. If you buy used buy cheap!

Lenoir, N.C.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    IMHO a non-warranty egg is worth 50% of retail - if it is in pristine condition, as good as if it was still in the box. In other words, the BGE warranty is worth 1/2 the value of a new egg. 

If buying new, check a number of dealers, one may have a promotion on that no one else is offering. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Take it from me.  DO NOT buy a used egg.  I have as much money into my "great" deal used egg as a new egg costs.  Hinge, thermometer, firebox, fire ring.  THe fact is, the ceramic WILL eventually crack and you are screwed.  Don't do it!
  • busmania
    Options
    IMHO a non-warranty egg is worth 50% of retail - if it is in pristine condition, as good as if it was still in the box. In other words, the BGE warranty is worth 1/2 the value of a new egg. 

If buying new, check a number of dealers, one may have a promotion on that no one else is offering. 

I paid 20% retail for my egg.  It was like new.  The guy was moving to a place that didn't allow charcoal.  even at such a low price, I would never buy used again.

in fact, my base is now cracked.  I will be ponying up for a NEW egg so that I have a warranty.  im tired of buying new parts for my used egg. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    busmania said:

I paid 20% retail for my egg.  It was like new.  The guy was moving to a place that didn't allow charcoal.  even at such a low price, I would never buy used again.

in fact, my base is now cracked.  I will be ponying up for a NEW egg so that I have a warranty.  im tired of buying new parts for my used egg. 

I'm pretty sure if you buy a base from bge it will have a warranty but the rest if the egg wouldn't. I don't know how much you save just buying the base vs a new egg
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • busmania
    Options
    llrickman said:

I'm pretty sure if you buy a base from bge it will have a warranty but the rest if the egg wouldn't. I don't know how much you save just buying the base vs a new egg
    Interesting.  I may have to look into that.  however, I am tired of replacing parts at cost so I think I am just going t obuy new and have two eggs....one with a warranty. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @patkline9999‌, I'm not sure where you are located, but there are used medium and large Eggs on Craigslist Kansas City. All though @busmaina and @llrickman are right that if it breaks, your have to pay for the replacement parts. If you can get it for half price or less it may be worth it. On the CraigslistKC I am talking about a guy wants $1000 for a large that he has, but never has used. He doesn't realize that a person can get a new one with a nest at $1100 and other tools to go with it. My dealer in KC seals a large, in a nest with side tables, ash tool, starter sticks and 20 pound bag of charcoal for $1100+tax. I am not sure they ship them for that, but I would check your local dealers for a good deal. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eden1sail
    Options
    buzd504 said:

lousubcap said:

This is right.  It's worth it to save up the few extra dollars to get a demo egg plus warranty.  It will pay for itself in the long run.