Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Hung Chicken.

Options

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I never realized mattman was such an artist. WOW. I'm so impressed. That chicken looks so real!

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌
    It is my hope that all of you are my brothers, my sisters and my friends. How I use the selected nomenclature has no implied intent other than complimentary brother John.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I was just messing with you @SGH. "I kid, I kid". 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    Great looking bird! I really do appreciate these elaborate threads. I am learning a lot about BBQ these days. You da Man, SGH!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great post SGH. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I have a friend that cooks a couple dozen chickens at a time in his smoker and he hangs the birds by a wire tied around the chicken's neck. When the bird is done, the neck breaks and the bird falls to the shelf below. I tried his method in my large BGE and it works, but I'm not sure the bird was any better than a spatchcocked chicken.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dillonjm‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. And please let me say, while I do posses a good working knowledge of smokers and how to operate and tweek them, I'm certainly not the man. There are honestly far more astute cooks on this forum than myself. Brother Nola being one that comes immediately to mind. I have learned a lot from the people here on this forum. It is my hope that one day I can give back in kind. Nonetheless I thank you for the very kind words my friend.
    @tulocay‌
    Thank you my brother. Glad that you enjoyed it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    @SGH I dont disagree at all, many great cooks /posters on here but since I've been a member on the site (not very long), your posts are usually filled with great cooks and knowledge. It seems many of the other great cooks weigh in on your posts too.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • SGH
    Options
    This is off topic as far as this post but here goes. When you want to blacken fish or "flash singe" beef eyes to keep them from rupturing during the smoking process. This is what is meant when you hear very hot cast iron. 1,238 degrees. It will singe eyes or blacken fish in less than 7 seconds. Just thought that I would share my friends while I had it going.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Been traveling since Saturday and halfway around the world right now.  I was thinking I would have an entry for the worst city thread by the time I get home, but after seeing how that devolved, I'll just save it.

Three quick thoughts on this thread 1) if someone makes that chicken hanger for a BGE chimney, count me in to buy one.  2) at first glance, I thought this thread was going to be about a rooster based on the title (and nearly skipped it), 3) @SGH, I swear you got those pics of the CI from NASA, they look more like sunspot photos.

Nice chicken too.
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow - that chicken looks incredible!! =D>

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Just like all your cooks...Looks great SGH
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    Very Nice!!!   SGH is the MAN!!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Legume‌ @SJ21XDC‌ @piney‌ @corb69‌
    Thank you all for the kind words and compliments my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    ahhhh, "goat heads tonight"  - is that Southern slang for something or do you really mean goat heads? If so then what happened to the rest of the goats?
  • SGH
    Options
    @Legume‌
    I would like to reiterate that hanging meat on the EGG offers no advantage to reasons that I covered in a writing above my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @RRP‌
    No sir, not slang. Actual goat head. The carcass of the goats will be iced for 5 days before cooking. Why? The are very old milk goats. They would be far to strong to eat without the icing phase. A head is a head. You can cook them the second you decapitate them with no issues at all my friend. I been experimenting through out the night with different techniques on the heads. Going to do a seperate post for them when I'm complete.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Icing? That's a new term to me...does it break down the meat fiber or something?
  • SGH
    Options
    Covered with ice my friend. Freezer is not big enough to hold them plus the wife don't allow me to put carcass in the fridge. On old goats, I cover them with ice and hold them at 33 degrees until all the blood properly "draws". This helps to tame the strong taste. I should have been more clear above my friend. My apologies.

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Little late to the party, been out of town.  

I must admit, I was apprehensive about clicking on "A Hung Chicken", but I said, ah hell, why not.  

Nicely done sir!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Thank you brother Tar. You been on vacation?

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My wife is from mid Ohio and so we take off up there about three times a year.  One time being in October.  So we were up there for four days.  It was pure madness the entire time.  Everyone in their brotherhood wanted to see us, well, not really us, but our 6 month old lol.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Wow awesome cook! Would love to see how you cook those goatheads.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SGH
    Options
    @bbqlearner‌
    Thank you brother. I'm going to do a complete and in depth post on the goat heads when complete my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• tbru
    tbru Posts: 17
    edited May 2019
    Options

@SGH What about hanging meat in an XL? I think it's not too small to have to worry about the reflective heat, maybe? I like the idea of doing Brazilian churrasco and hanging the skewers of picanha, lamb chops and wings. What do you think in an XL?

xl bge, weber gas 3-burner, fire pit

Tech: EggGenius and Thermoworks DOT, ChefAlarm, Thermopop

Lump: Cowboy and BGE

Wood: Hickory, Oak, Apple

Meat: Costco, Lunds/Byerlys, Von Hanson's

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Pichana works lid open only. You need the char. So does the rest of your question with no fancy hanging required.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Looks good! That is one fine smoker.

• FlyOverCountry
    Options

He doesn’t look hung to me. I don even see a Johnson on that bird.

• tbru
    tbru Posts: 17
    Options

xl bge, weber gas 3-burner, fire pit

Tech: EggGenius and Thermoworks DOT, ChefAlarm, Thermopop

Lump: Cowboy and BGE

Wood: Hickory, Oak, Apple

Meat: Costco, Lunds/Byerlys, Von Hanson's

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

I’d like to mention that it’s easier for me to fire up my Shirley trailer than it is my green egg.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum