Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dickey's BBQ OMG WTF

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,768

So we had a summers end lunch meeting @ my business in appreciation of everybody's  effort this summer.........Somehow I was voted out of the decision for food, and my office Manager decided to get Dickey's ......I told her have the fun of having a BBQ, is Having a BBQ, not bringing it in..........I lost out ( even though it is my company).........The Brisket was about the worst cut of meat I have ever had, and the chicken was horrid..........I'd post pictures but it was not worth the effort..........

I cannot see how people go crazy for this stuff..........I don't even think they have a pit

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You need to put your foot down next time and insist on the real thing. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I take it you didn't get any sweet tea, that's good....   ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    They definitely don't have a pit. The one in my town is in the same building as Starbucks, actually, they may be above them. Anyway, I have stayed away but I assume they are just warming food up in there. Pass. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have never heard of Dickey's. We don't have one close to me. 

They claim to have a pit. image

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @lkapigian‌
    Brother Pig this kind of poor quality has sadly become the norm in most "so called" bbq establishments. Being a some what "decent" or "mediocre" cook myself, I have learned to perform a quick visual inspection of bbq establishments and determine quickly if I want to eat there or not. If their smokers and fuel supply does not strongly resemble the following, then I graciously pass right on by my friend.
    Here is what I look for as its a good sign as to what type food that you can expect.imageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    I have never heard of Dickey's. We don't have one close to me. 

They claim to have a pit. image
    If you read their about us, they only say there meat is "smoked on site" ..........it has to be indoors in an oven, we have 2 Dickey's where I am and the only pit is the one in the picture here you posted
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2014
    Options

@SGH I agree, my guys love to BBQ, God knows the know I love to, my office manager was, I know just trying, to make it easy........she just does not get that BBQ ing IS THE FUN, eating it is just the prize..........I ride bikes, the destination is OK, but it's the journey that makes it worthwhile

I think she was afraid I would have brought in a Pig Head, and she was probably right!

:\">
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    @SGH Brother if you open up a BBQ resturant I'm coming down there to eat! I might need a wheel barrel to get out the door and a place to sleep off my food coma but I'm coming!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @lkapigian‌
    Nothing wrong with bringing in a pig head my friend. As a matter of fact it speaks volumes as to the experience of the chef. Someone serving a swine cranium compartment, has had untold hours before the fire. His food more often than not will be outstanding my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. However due to limited mobility in my feet and hands, I probably never will be able to stand up to cooking full time again short of a miricale. However if you ever would like to try a vast assortment of my food I still cook every year at the Under the Oaks event in Gulfport Ms. in the month of March. Also the money that is raised goes to a very good cause and one that I feel needs all the support that it can get. Veterans. With out their dedication and sacrifices to country, you and I would not be free to do the things that we treasure and take for granted every day. I try my best to give back unto them in any way that I can my friend.
    If you ever can attend please do. You will be supporting a great and needy cause. While there you can sample my pork shoulder, beef clod, whole hog and my semi famous chickens stuffed with shrimp, crab, rice and two cheeses. Meeting you would be both my honor and privledge my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    lkapigian said:

my office Manager decided to get Dickey's ......I told her have the fun of having a BBQ, is Having a BBQ, not bringing it in..........I lost out ( even though it is my company

So I assume you will need a new office manager!
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    I ate at a Dickey's once.  Never went back.  Was not surprised when it closed down.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:

my office Manager decided to get Dickey's ......I told her have the fun of having a BBQ, is Having a BBQ, not bringing it in..........I lost out ( even though it is my company

If it wasn't for making everything else run smooth I'd say yes :)>-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:

If it wasn't for making everything else run smooth I'd say yes :)>-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's like mexican food. I remember when a mexican meal was a treat. Now, there's one on every corner. Seems like mostly Ortega shells and canned refried beans. I'm sure Texas or border states may be different. I know a place in McAllen that'll knock your socks off. But not many places.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Agreed @henapple‌ , fortunately for us we have a great array of taco trucks that serve it all, tripas lengua barbacoa, you name it...so every Friday it's taco truck Friday for us
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bojangles
    Options
    henapple said:
    It's like mexican food. I remember when a mexican meal was a treat. Now, there's one on every corner. Seems like mostly Ortega shells and canned refried beans. I'm sure Texas or border states may be different. I know a place in McAllen that'll knock your socks off. But not many places.
    Spot on.  I live in El Paso, and Juarez Mexico is 15 minutes from my house.  Once I'm outside the city limits, the further I go in any direction that isn't South, the worse I find the Mexican food to be.  

People who didn't grow up on the authentic stuff don't know any better, or worse, know better but think they can pass off crap for the real thing.
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • henapple
    Options
    Taco Cabana is better than anything I can get here.
  • Bojangles
    edited October 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    Taco Cabana is better than anything I can get here.
    And that's not saying much.  Sad to hear it.  Your best bet by far is to cook your own.  If there are any mexican ingredients you need that you can't find, let me know.  I could put together a care package for ya.  I missed the boat on the rub and sauce exchange, and putting one of those together looks fun.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    edited October 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

I went to McAllen TX for a week on the job and there was a Mexican joint that does seafood in a strip mall that was the bomb.com There is some legit stuff on the border. I also had ribeye Ranchero style at another place, big flavor =P~
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Agreed @henapple‌ , fortunately for us we have a great array of taco trucks that serve it all, tripas lengua barbacoa, you name it...so every Friday it's taco truck Friday for us

Taco trucks have come on in a big way around here in the last 5 years.  The local "sit-down" establishments have complained loudly, as the trucks/carts are subject to far fewer health regulations, plus almost no overhead costs (rent, taxes, utilities, etc).  
    While it was cool to buy four tasty authentic tacos for $2, and sit in the grass under a tree to eat, after two bad cases of food poisoning I now patronize the Sit-downs exclusively.  Competition vs. regulation, I guess.  
    :-S

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• henapple
    Options
    I don't know the name of the place but know where it is. We sat down and asked our waiter (60 year old) what was good. He said "mike's special. . If you don't like it you don't have to pay". He was Mike. Damn...cheese and chorizo app on fire and some sort of beef ribs in a crock pot over rice...I dont remember dessert. All that and a couple of beers, 2 guys... $22.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Pre Taco Truck Ritual
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • lkapigian