Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak...how I do it!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
TRex, Reverse Sear or just a straight cook on the grill rotating often.  Nope, my preferred method isn't any of them.  Why?  You don't get a crust on the egg!

For steaks, I prefer to make them in a cast iron pan.  IMO, there isn't a superior method. Next time you're cooking for one or two, leave your egg shutdown and use a pan.  Try it once before you shoot it down.

Starting with some New York Strips.  Let them come up to room temperature.

Preheat your pan so it's nice and piping hot.  Next, generously season your steaks with salt and pepper.  Add your oil (I used olive oil), then give your pan a good shake to spread the oil.  Drop your steak at the top of the pan.

imageimage

Sear until your crust has developed.  You're looking for mahogany, not grey.  Flip, then rinse and repeat.

After the other side is done, drop in some "real" butter.  Tilt the pan, you want the steak to be elevated so the butter/oil mixture runs to the handle.  Grab a spoon and repeatedly baste (scoop a spoonful of butter/oil liquid on the steak) the steak.  After you basted for about 60 seconds, touch the steak with your finger.  For my desired temp (MR to MR+), i'm looking for the steak to bounce back like a sponge after firmly pressing it.  I usually flip the steak and baste it a lil more.  At that point, i'm usually ready to pull it.    

IMO, this next step is very important and should be used with every cooking method.  Rest your steak on grid so your steak doesn't smolder.  This helps so avoid overshooting your temp.  That right there is the color you want to shoot for.  Nice even mahogany across the entire steak.

No thermometer needed folks.  Juicy and tender with an incredible flavor profile.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Steak looks incredible.  Enjoy!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Preach it brother.

The Egg is an amazing cooker that has upped my game tremendously, but when I want a steak (which is not that often) I want it seared in the cast iron skillet I inherited from my grandmother, then finished in the oven.

Flame away, but there are many things that are better made in the kitchen vs. the Egg

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Nice....but in the in the electric oven versus your ceramic oven...blasphemy.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Looks awesome my friend. Here is something that I have been experimenting with myself. I really hate to say it but I got part of the idea from looking at your steaks. I can't believe that I publicly admitted that but nonetheless here goes. I have been hanging 2-3 inch thick steaks on meat hooks in my vertical for the first stage of the cook. I run at 150-180 degrees under tremendously heavy smoke. Once the internal hits 90-95 degrees I pull the steaks from the smoke and then sear them in butter and bacon grease in a cast iron pan. Thus far they have been phenomenal. If time ever allows, give the low temp smoke phase a try. I think that you will enjoy it. Again those steaks look great. I'm forced to wonder though if your wife actually cooked them and you are robbing her of her glory by taking the credit for them ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Or no oven at all.  The oven isn't needed for what I did above.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    cazzy said:
    4Runner said:
    Or no oven at all.  The oven isn't needed for what I did above.

Agreed. Normal sized steaks like yours don't need oven temps.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks awesome my friend. Here is something that I have been experimenting with myself. I really hate to say it but I got part of the idea from looking at your steaks. I can't believe that I publicly admitted that but nonetheless here goes. I have been hanging 2-3 thick steaks on meat hooks in my vertical for the first stage of the cook. I run at 150-180 degrees under tremendously heavy smoke. Once the internal hits 90-95 degrees I pull the steaks from the smoke and then sear them in butter and bacon grease in a cast iron pan. Thus far they have been phenomenal. If time ever allows, give the low temp smoke phase a try. I think that you will enjoy it. Again those steaks look great. I'm forced to wonder though if your wife actually cooked them and you are taking the credit ;)
    I've done it several ways, bacon/butter mix is one of them.  I've also started them on the egg and let em go for a bit, then finished them in a pan.  In my humble opinion, the reward isn't worth the effort.  

What kind of wood are you using for the smoke?  I usually stick with hickory or oak.   Document your next cook with that technique please.
  • SGH
    Options
    I usually use a combo for the steaks. Pecan/cherry/water oak. Not post oak. Why not post? On steaks the "musky" taste off water oak is better suited for the short dwell time in the smoke chamber.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Options
    I have a NY strip set out right now. It's 1.75 inches think. Seems like it will need some extra time to come up to MR temp. Can I just leave it covered in the cast iron pan until it's done???
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    Options

I have a NY strip set out right now. It's 1.75 inches think. Seems like it will need some extra time to come up to MR temp. Can I just leave it covered in the cast iron pan until it's done???

Just baste one side for 60 seconds, flip then baste again. Check temp. The basting helps cook it, so you should be able to get it happy in the pan without covering it.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful cook, i need to try and get over the splatters that would be everywhere.

Seattle, WA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those look @cazzy good! Seriously - thanks for sharing your technique. This is one cook I can probably pull off in Okinawa.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Cazzy. ..this is an egg forum dammit. :-@
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Beautiful cook, i need to try and get over the splatters that would be everywhere.

Yeah...definitely better to do outside if you're able. My roommate has a side burner on his gasser so it worked out perfect.

You can always use the egg as a heat source for the CI pan.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Hard to argue with those results. Looks great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I'm temped to try using a #8 Griswold cast iron skillet (about 10" I think on the new Mini.
    Has anyone use cast iron on the mini, and if so, how did it work? It seems like I remember someone using a cast iron skillet to cook something on the mini.

Great looking results however. I have used a cast iron skillet to cook steaks for years... however, I still enjoy a nice steak cooked on the egg. For those beautiful evenings relaxing outside with the family 
    ;)
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My favorite way too! CI steak is pure $$$ in my book. Short of that Caveman brings a nice flavor to them also.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I concur with brother Apple. This is a egg forum. You should not be representing other cookers or cooking styles on this forum. Shame on you. You should be following the fine example that I have set ;)
    Egg only as it were.

Status- Standing by.

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    @cazzy looks awesome!! I've done the CI setup before on the egg. Hate doing it inside. Fire department usually comes!! ;-)
  • cazzy
    Options

I'm all pan sear with good steaks. Not even close. I know most people on here see life through green tinted glasses (and I do too at times) but there isn't one acclaimed steak restaurant that I have ever heard of that cook steaks over lump- and even fewer smoke them. Heat, steel, and salt, pepper, butter = awesome steaks.

Like this?? ^^^^^
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I don't know about you all but I've made some pretty dam good steaks on the egg. In my mind, it's one of the best things coming off an Egg. I guess ya'll think that anything seared is better done on CI on the stove top ?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    Options

I don't know about you all but I've made some pretty dam good steaks on the egg. In my mind, it's one of the best things coming off an Egg.

I guess ya'll think that anything seared is better done off the Egg?

100% commit to the technique above and you'll understand. There is a reason almost every fancy steakhouse in America uses this technique. Grill marks don't hold a candle to a crust.

My roommate cooks a pretty good steak on his infrared grill. After holding his hand while he made the 2nd steak, he said he'll never cook his steak another way.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌ What do you mean by flip, then RINSE, ...
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    @cazzy‌ What do you mean by flip, then RINSE, ...
    Rinse and repeat.  ie...do it again.  No water please   :)
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Will you hold my hand please?

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    You know that question means Tony will post another weird photo.
  • SGH
    Options
    All jokes aside, I really do like your steak technique. Only difference I love to add the smoke. Short of that and the bacon grease with the butter we pretty much do it the same way. Again yours look fantastic. As bad as it pains me to do it:
    SGH

Status- Standing by.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ Will you hold my hand please?

Hey man, I was just asking a question.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ Will you hold my hand please?

Hey man, I was just asking a question.
    LOL, he was poking fun at me.  Guns down.   :D