Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or small?

Options
ckillian
ckillian Posts: 73
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine was recently in town (I'm in Houston area, he's in Denver) going through three days of medical exams to see if he qualifies to donate a kidney to my wife. Her kidneys have been slowly failing for about 10 years and it's gotten to that time.

There's really no way to thank someone for something like this, but we wanted to do a little something for him and his wife, who held down the fort at home while he was gone.

He's got a pellet grill, which he's happy with. I mocked him endlessly when he got it. I've loved my LBGE and tried to get him to go that way. But what's done is done.

I'm going to get him either a small or a mini Egg as a little token of our thanks. Trying to decide between the two.

It will not be his primary grill. More like something he can use for smaller cooks. He's also into camping, so the portability of the Mini might be nice. But I'm also afraid the Mini might not be versatile enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother first let me say that I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. I wish you and her the very best. As to the eggs. I don't think that you can go wrong with either. I recently acquired a mini to compliment my large and absolutely love it. As far as portability the mini is the clear winner. As far as capacity the small wins. If he will be taking it camping I feel that he would be better served with a mini. It's much easier to move the mini around than it is to move the small. Again both would make a wonderful gift no doubt. But if his forte is camping then the mini wins hands down in my book. The mini is a cooking machine. I can attest to this personally. I will never be without a mini again. It's that good. Again I wish your wife all the luck in the world and hope that she makes a fast and full recovery. She will be included in my prayers unless you request other wise. Good luck brother and God bless.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Check out these post to see what the little mini can do my friend. I use to be a non believer where the mini was concerned. I thought it was to small. I have fully seen the light. I now use and highly recommend the mini to all eggers. It's a winner in my book.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169628/13-cooks-in-2-1-2-days-with-the-mighty-mini#latest

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170937/the-marvelous-mini#latest

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ckillian
    Options
    Thanks a lot, SGH. I think the Mini, it is. Of course, now I'll probably have to buy two. One for them, one for us...
  • SGH
    Options
    You are welcome my friend. I don't think that you or your friend will be disappointed in the mini. It's a excellent unit for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I've had a mini for two years and have not really enjoyed it to be honest. I've come to the realization that a woo would change my view on that. So if u decide on the mini, get him the woo too. Otherwise I don't find the thing any more useful than a Lodge hibachi grill.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I debated the same question when looking for a companion egg for my XL. I came to the conclusion the Mini was just a bit too small for what I wanted from it. I wanted to be able to do complete weeknight cooks without firing the XL in addition to apps/sides while the XL was processing the main event.

And so I have a Small. Works great for me, and is still somewhat portable for when I need to take it somewhere.

Here's a thread with some pics.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I love my mini, too. I usually use it for fast cooks, brats, burgers and steaks. But I also do pork loin, game hens, leg of lamb and chicken thighs on it; you do need a woo and pizza stones for that. I would also suggest that a HighQue grate is essential, even more so than the woo. You want to give him the right accessories to convert him. 

Here's what I suggest, in priority:
    Ash tool
    HighQue
    Woo and stones 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The small is easily portabile IMO. I move mine by myself pretty often. The height of the dome in the small over the mini is HUGE advantage IMO. It makes is a very capable smoker instead of a cool little grill. The mini is a great companion grill. But the small is a great all around cooker. For a first egg. I would get him a small so he can see everything an egg can do. While people manage to do a lot on the mini, it's going to be difficult enough that he will downplay the entire egg line a result.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have the mini and small egg. The small wins hands down. If your friend is reluctant about an egg from the start I would pass on the mini. It's just too small. The small egg is small but still big enough for most cooks. Since your buddy has a pellet grill I'm guessing he's into low and slow. The small is a much better option for low/slow. It's possible in the mini but not ideally. The mini just isn't worth $400 in my opinion. Maybe a little more than my $29.99 Weber Smokey Joe. Not trying to bash mini owners as I'm a mini owner myself. The small seems more like a grill and not so much of a toy
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I agree. For a first egg a small would be the ticket. I think the small is around 60-70 lb. but the egg carten makes it super portable it seems.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If he has a pellet, I doubt you'll convince him to do a low and slow on the mini, though it is definitely possible (see previous posts about butt on the mini). I still go with mini for portability. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ckillian
    Options
    Went out to Ace Hardware today and looked at the small and mini.  I think, upon further review, that the mini will be a little too small and limited.  The small seems to be a lot more flexible.

Then it hit me.  I'll just wait for the MiniMax.  Capacity of a small, portability of a mini.  Best of both worlds.  

The rep said it would be out in the next couple months.  I'm hoping that turns out to be the case.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

P.S.  They had a XXLarge on display.  Holy crap, that thing is huge.  Makes me want to start a catering business just to justify buying one.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grillingunner
    Options
    Just got my mini last night and love it so far. I bought it used for a good price so that is why I jumped on it. I was a little unsure if it would be big enough but so far so good
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    I would go with the SBGE.  But I own a SBGE (and LBGE)  and no eggsperience with the mini.  So, this is a one-sided response.  The SBGE has quite a L&S capacity based on its ability to load lots of lump.  You can always go less...and I can wrestle it (SBGE) wherever I need to land it.  Clearly not as easy to move as a mini-but do you want ease of movement or versatility...that really is where you have to decide.  FWIW-
    And I am most impressed with your friend and saddened to hear of your wife's condition.  Here's to a successful outcome all the way around.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Hopefully not too OT:  I've found my Small to be the perfect size for a standard 14" wok.  Has anyone successfully used their Mini with a wok?  What size wok?  Thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• ckillian
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  

Decision was made.  The Ace Hardware had a 20% coupon and they applied it to my entire purchase of a Small BGE, a nest, and a platesetter.

I was going to wait for the MiniMax, but between the awesome price I got on the small, and the uncertainty of the MiniMax arrival date, I pulled the trigger on the Small.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @ckillian‌ ... I don't have anything EGG related to add to your post, other than God Bless You and your wife.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.