Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13 Cooks in 2 1/2 Days with the Mighty Mini!

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
All I can say is I love the mini. Wish I would have listened to Mickey years ago and purchased one. If you don't own a mini take my advice and purchase one now. Don't wait any longer. You will love it to say the least. This is my 13th cook on the mini in 2 1/2 days of ownership. Haven't used my large since I got the mini. Thanks Mickey. Now y'all go buy one as well and get to cooking on a mini!!imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Please stop, I want one now! :D

Options
    @SGH‌ are you lighting that from underneath?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    Here is some more evidence to support the purchase of a mini.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌
    Yes I am. I find the mini performs better this way. Only the mini. I don't do it on my large. I find that the mini will cook far more even this way and responds better to vent adjustments. Just my findings my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The end result. Par excellent. image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The first 2 steaks were a good appetizer to settle my stomach and stop the onslaught of hunger pains. Now for the main course.imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That looks delicious @SGH  

Glad you are liking your new Mini!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Thanks my friend. I am loving using it and the food that it produces. 3 T-Bones! Now all I have to decide what I'm cooking for supper tonight. What ever it is it will be cooked on the mini !!imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options

Actually, it's exactly this that made me get a Small rather than a Mini.  I knew a mini could cook two chicken breasts, but it wasn't big enough to cook two steaks, so I opted for the Small.

Knowing now, however, how my social life has evaporated like Lake Powell, I guess the Mini would've been the better choice...  
    :(

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dccoker2
    Options
    Picking mine up this week. It's gonna need a dfmt and prob a band but I'm getting a pretty good deal on it.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I thought the mini was for your wife ? :-O
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    These are a bunch of Eggcellent MINI cooks! Nice Job Sir! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Livinloud5
    Options
    I have only had my XL for a couple weeks....but now the mini is growing on me!

Blake.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sgh - very fine looking cooks you got there. I am concerned about lighting from the bottom. I had alway lit from the top on my large but tried the light from the bottom one time. After that cook I noticed a crack in my base. Upon further investigation the crack started right beside where the starter cube was laying. Coincidence, maybe I don't know. image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    I still light my large from the top only as it works much better. But experimenting with the mini I have noticed that by bottom lighting it eliminates hot spots. This could be explained or proven farther with a mock up of a heat transfer/convective test with Vector Analysis and hot air dynamics flow tests. But for cooking purposes I'm more than pleased with well enough. It just works so well on the mini that I stick with it. On the large I still advocate and recommend lighting from the top my friend. And thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My wife stopped by my dealer this week to pick up more rub for me (she is a good wife) and had the kids with her. They had a mini on the floor in a Challenger cart. My 4 year old was pretty sure it was made just for him.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Brother you should get it for the little fellow. He would love having his own egg and cooking with dad. I love mine. I'm cooking on it again as we speak. It's just a joy.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Late night snack off the mini. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Just because.imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Nothing like a good bloody burger after a few bloody steaks. My kind of food my friends.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Next up on the mini-Country Style Ribs.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@SGH I just finished up a big beef Fattie. Had to stuff it in the Mini. Took the sliders over to the neighbors and gone in 60 seconds.

The Mini just keeps on giving.

I applaud you for the marathon Mini cooks. They all look great.

Mickey was correct, it is more fun on a Mini.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Great marathon cooks with the mini!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I light the mini from the top with a MAPP torch and then from the bottom with a knotted oil-soaked paper towel. The two-step method seems to give me the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SGH
    Options
    @jlsm‌ @tarheelmatt‌ @Hotch‌
    Thank y'all for the kind words. The little mini is a blast to cook on. Wish I would have bought one years ago. It's my go to cooker of choice now.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    LOVE my Mini..but curious why you didn't want to wait for the Max (if it's not just a myth :) ) for the extra 3 inches of cooking diameter?

I'd get a Max if I didn't already have my Mini.  That said, the Mini is a grilling MACHINE.

Took me 13 min to get my Mini lit and to 400 yesterday.  The "Black Egg" (KJ) takes > 20 min.

Now all I need is a better place to put my mini than the Patio table..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SGH
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌
    Brother bear the answer is compound but not complex.
    First. The wife wanted the mini. That usually determines what I buy!!!!!
    Second. I already have a Kamado Joe Jr.
    Third. It was a real good deal on the mini. Price was excellent.
    Fourth. Again the wife wanted the mini. That was the straw that broke the camels back as it were !
    Fifth. I'm getting the mini max as well. I'm first on the list at Philips.
    So all is good my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    This one is for you brother. Country style ribs with salt and cayenne. Going on the mini fat side down at 265 degrees direct. Here we go.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ribs in the mighty mini.imageimage

Status- Standing by.