Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First steaks on BGE

Options
victor1
victor1 Posts: 225
I'm still very new here but having some pretty good success.   I did NY strips on the BGE last night.  Seasoned in Dale's, 600 degrees,  2 min. per side to sear and then 4 minutes with vents closed. on a cast iron grate.  I would rate them at about an "8" or so.  Maybe a little over done but very tender and tasty.  I did learn that its a good idea to "burp" the egg at high heats.   Am sure the hair will grow back on my wrist soon.  My wife complained that she smelled something burning.  I played dumb, didn't want to admit it was me. Probably won't forget to do it right next time.   Non related question...Is anybody on this forum also on the Modern Vespa forum?   Just curious.  thanks for all your help.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Always remember... Chicks dig scars.

Next time try doing them caveman style, right on the coals! Do the search thing on caveman and you'll find all of my recent cooks that way.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    victor1 said:
    I'm still very new here but having some pretty good success.   I did NY strips on the BGE last night.  Seasoned in Dale's, 600 degrees,  2 min. per side to sear and then 4 minutes with vents closed. on a cast iron grate.  I would rate them at about an "8" or so.  Maybe a little over done but very tender and tasty.  I did learn that its a good idea to "burp" the egg at high heats.   Am sure the hair will grow back on my wrist soon.  My wife complained that she smelled something burning.  I played dumb, didn't want to admit it was me. Probably won't forget to do it right next time.   Non related question...Is anybody on this forum also on the Modern Vespa forum?   Just curious.  thanks for all your help.

Yes, MV member since....well for a long time. Love to scoot AND grill.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'd like to say once you forget to burp it never happens again, but I've had multiple experiences with flashback, including one from the bottom vent. Leg hair burns just as fast as arm hair. Welcome to the group.
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You have now been initiated by fire into the forum. Now all you need are pics. They sounded good though.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The steaks sound like a winner to me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.