Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I become a BBQ Pit Master

Options
I'll confess, I'm starting to pad my Obituary. I joined the Polish American Veterans Club, about to join the Parrotheads in Amish Paradise, the Amish Jimmy Buffett fan club, (great concert in Hershey last weekend) , several professional organizations, and others I'm qualified to join. I'm not planning to join just to say I am a member, but want to contribute to the groups I join, as I approach retirement and have time to devote to these causes. I want to actively participate and make a difference. Is there an official BBQ Pit masters designation, and how do I qualify? I figure there has to be some BBQ group I can participate in. Not far from retirement, at which time I will plan on joining and participating in the Operation BBQ Relief Organization, which I think is an amazing group that does great work. I'd love to be a part of the fantastic work they do. Any thing else out there?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I would start by joining KCBS and taking a KCBS judging class when you get a chance. Its heaps of fun and you will meet interesting people with a like minded interest in BBQ.

With retirement on the horizon, start judging events. You can work your way to Master Judge, Table Chief, etc.

Do you want to compete, or just get involved in the BBQ scene? KCBS has lots of opportunities to volunteer. 

There is also the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association, I'm not familiar with them directly.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I for one, did not appreciate the fact that the Amish were such Buffett fans. Wasting away in Margaritaville.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    No idea, but I agree, the Buffet concert in Hershey was great!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You may want to ease into this retirement, I would think the Polish Americans Veterans Club could keep you pretty busy. :D
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Join your local BBQ Pit Boys chapter and make a video......
    or buy a Brinkman and a shirt that says Pit Master. 
    :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!