Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First posting - questions on tailgate grill

Options
First of all let me say that I am new to the BGE experience. I have looked at them for years and for our 4th anniversary my wife surprised me with the XL. Now that I have it, I spend my extra time lurking on this forum while kicking back with a cold one while the egg does it's things.

So far we have cooked chicken grillers, a pork loin, two pork butts, multiple pizzas, pork shots, and jalapeño poppers.

My current dilemma revolves around football season. Now that it's here, anything I cook when we tailgate is pale in comparison for me. The egg ruined me. So to resolve the issue I have been searching out solutions. I want to be able to cook outside our RV for our family and friends (on a smaller scale as there's always tons of other food), but obviously the XL is far from portable.

I have spoken to my dealer about the mini and the elusive mini-max but have not pulled the trigger yet. I have also been watching craigslist for a used small. My current curiosity had me looking on EBay and Amazon, and I stumbled onto the 13" Kahuna grill for $169.00. Granted...my preference is to stay BGE, but the size and price are inviting, and I have a feeling I wouldn't be as upset should something happen to it at the tailgate.

Has anyone seen these? Thoughts?

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The other ones to check would be for a vision grill or the Komodo Joe Jr. Have heard positive things about both. Mini might be tough as it doesn't have a lot of space for apps, etc
    Greensboro, NC
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Wait for the Mini- Max.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • EggPlant
    Options
    I looked into buying a 13" kahuna grill. Decided not too because of the lack of accessories.
    Mundelein, IL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Small egg and my tailgate table.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I'm not sure how much a kamado adds to the tailgating experience.  I like having a lot of surface area when I go portable so I have the 20" version of this:

http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/24/ccd/en-ca/apollo-200-charcoal-grill-and-water-smoker

I can carry it with one hand by the handle on top.  It has two cooking levels.  It can do direct (regular or raised) or indirect.  Depending on the needs of a particular trip I can take out the middle portion(s) and it is even more portable.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• loylsn1
    Options
    I guess I should have explained better. When we tailgate, we go to our tailgate spot the night before and stay in our RV. When we wake up, we're already there. I already have a large area grill that we mass produce on... Wanting something that I can do more of what I love on small scale to both spoil myself and show off a little.

As far as not buying due to accessories...other than a plate setter, what would you really need?

I still like the idea of the mini max....except I could buy three of these for the same price. I intend for this unit to stay with the rv.

Thoughts?

Also currently dealing on a used small...just seeing what options there are.
  • Texansurf
    Options

Buy a trailer and rig it up to transport the Egg, I have been working on a design in my head so I can hall up to BBQ contests., another great option is to cook first an just heat at the game 

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Texansurf
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Small egg and my tailgate table.

Nice job with the table!!! Does the heat from the egg ever cuase problems with the resin
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    @Texansurf‌ not yet. There is plenty of air space all around

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I recently picked up a mini myself. You will actually be surprised at just what you can actually achieve with the little guy. It's a steak cooking machine. I have also done whole racks of ribs on mine. Wish I would have bought it years ago. As far as the Kahuna, if you like it go for it. I have several cookers that are not BGE brand. Just because you buy a egg that does not obligate you some how to buy only eggs from then on. Buy what you like my friend. I do.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loylsn1
    Options
    Thanks SGH. I think I'm going to go with this used small as it looks like I can get for a couple hundred. Being new to the game I just wasn't sure if the other brands were complete junk or what. I knew some people on here would have tried new things as well.
    Imagine I will add the mini or a kahuna or a joe jr sometime just to be easily portable.
  • lowandslow
    Options
    I own an XL and do not think the smaller eggs are worth the money.  Too expensive for too little a cooking area.  I use a smokey joe (that I already had laying around)  that I converted to a smoker by adding a tamale pot.  See the attached link.  It is not huge but you can rig it to fit a two pork butts.  You would have to cut ribs in half though.  I also fit an 8lb brisket on it.  I was surprised how well it held temp and how long one batch of lump lasted.  

I did not purchase a thermometer to keep costs down.  I just use my maverick that I already own to keep temp in both the smoker and meat.

If you do not own a smokey joe, I would just buy a napolean grill like the other posting stated above.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @loylsn1‌
    You are more than welcome sir. I have a mini and a Joe jr. I love them both. And just to be clear. The other brands are not junk. Some other brands are actually top tier products.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    loylsn1 said:
    I guess I should have explained better. When we tailgate, we go to our tailgate spot the night before and stay in our RV. When we wake up, we're already there. I already have a large area grill that we mass produce on... Wanting something that I can do more of what I love on small scale to both spoil myself and show off a little. As far as not buying due to accessories...other than a plate setter, what would you really need? I still like the idea of the mini max....except I could buy three of these for the same price. I intend for this unit to stay with the rv. Thoughts? Also currently dealing on a used small...just seeing what options there are.

Like others have said, you could strap a one or two to a trailer with prep tables and pull it behind your RV. I've seen some professional BBQ teams do this. I was thinking of doing the same for a catering business maybe. Here is what Big Mo from Ponderosa BBQ h
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChrisSonn23
    Options

Check out this contraption I saw at the Indy EggFest

http://rollingsmoker.com/

This would eliminate purchasing another Egg. Just transport yours to your tailgate

BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL