Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife discussion here!

Options
13»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It looks like quite the bargain for my journey into cutlery. @Lit

I also found this set that's reasonably price and has good reviews on the blade.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cuscknset.html

And this guy that I can have in my hands tomorrow lol.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UAQOUA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000UAQOUA&linkCode=as2&tag=patsplac-20
    I have an Artifex paring in AEB-L. The steel is great. Stainless, but hard. No stains so far. No chips either. Sharpens easily, a lot more easily than VG-10, and holds the edge almost as well.
  • BugCollector
    Options
    I have mainly Wurstoff (think I spelled that wrong).  But what I go to when doing day to day tasks are some crummy white plastic handled, stamped stainless blades from Costco.  I can't even tell you why.  They hold an edge, a brief bout with the steel trues them up easily and I don't feel bad if 2 knives share a slot in the block.  In fact, I wouldn't care if I lost one or someone "borrowed" one.  I had a guy borrow my 6" Wustoff chef's knife at Chilimpiad in San Marcos Tx.  Got it back about 2 years later.  Guess he liked using a good knife.I do have a couple of high carbon stainless knives from Chicago Cutlery that I use for butchering (I raise goats).  Wonderful blades.  Hold a wicked edge and makes a nasty job quick and easy.  They don't get used for anything else.
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    gdenby said:
    It looks like quite the bargain for my journey into cutlery. @Lit

I also found this set that's reasonably price and has good reviews on the blade.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cuscknset.html

And this guy that I can have in my hands tomorrow lol.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UAQOUA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000UAQOUA&linkCode=as2&tag=patsplac-20
    I have an Artifex paring in AEB-L. The steel is great. Stainless, but hard. No stains so far. No chips either. Sharpens easily, a lot more easily than VG-10, and holds the edge almost as well.
    Thanks!

I decided to start a thread on the chefknivestogo forum and will report back my findings. The owner of the website has already responded to my questions and has sold me on buying from his site.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have Farberware knives ,they are the professional series .CHEAP with a block . I also have a Wosthof classic bread knife,made in Germany for real . The Wosthof is for the final cutting needs . Does all kinds of cutting ,from tomato to brisket . My cheap Farberware stuff is kept sharp with a Chefs Choice electric 15/20 sharpener. It's a no brainer to keep those cheap knives sharp with that thing . Been down the road of using Arkansas wet stones for sharpening ,in the military I could shave with my knife . Now it is mainly ease of use and what I have is easy ,it works well and above all ,it is cheap .Except for the one Wostholf .
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited November 2021
    Options
    steak knives I am Looking to put together a neck knife from scratch. I have seen a few different websites that sell knife blanks and am having a hard time choosing.
    I am personally looking for a Scandi grind Neck knife blank..

SO…

Has anyone put together a knife kit you found online?

Do you have any recommendations on a site or brand of knife blank?

Any brands to stay away from?

Any Steels to stay away from?

Anyone locally that makes or sells blade blanks?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey here.  Above all, have fun. 
    I recall there are a few here who have made their own knives and cleavers but it was a while ago.  Good luck in your quest.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I have a complete set of Cutco that I bought before I got married 44 yrs ago. I have had to send them off to be sharpened once about 10 yrs ago.  They could use a refresher, but the butcher knife is a real workhorse when breaking down chickens. I have 2 Henkls that my son gave as gifts over the years that are extremely sharp. Touching the sharp edge of the blade generally results in blood. (Don't do that!!)  I have a longer curved blade for parting pork skin from the bellies. It too is extremely sharp.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Doesn't take that sharp a knife to cut thin skin...
    I came here expecting a not the sharpest knife in the drawer comment.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Some knives spend all their time in drawers full of dull knives.  They come out among sharp knives and find they are, in fact, dull or just stay dull-usional.
    Options
    Henkel 5 Star made in Germany, have them 30 years
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I find a good sharp knife makes all my cooking tasks more enjoyable. I've splashed out for a custom Gyuto and Sujihiki (chef's knife and slicer).

One other cool knife in my kitchen is a small parer/petty knife from Bloodroot Blades.

In addition to my custom Japanese knifes I've got some beater/ordinary knifes: Wusthof 9" chef's, Shun 7" Santoku, Global 5" Santoku.

I sharpen them all by hand on whetstones.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    I have a 23 piece Wusthof classic set that we have had for about 15 years.  They are workhorses and stay reasonably sharp.  Like many have stated the large set is pretty useless since there are only 4 or 5 knives that get the most use.  I have always thought the Wusthof’s were excellent until I bought a Shun Premier 8” Chef’s knife a few months ago. The Wusthof’s are really good and especially durable but I liked the Shun’s so much I have since added a Santoku 7”, boning 6” and slicing 9.5”.  I had a friend who has a number of custom Japanese knives sharpen them and I am really impressed.  My description is they are razor blades with handles.  If you haven’t tried a Japanese blade you are missing out.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I have a 23 piece Wusthof classic set that we have had for about 15 years.  They are workhorses and stay reasonably sharp.  Like many have stated the large set is pretty useless since there are only 4 or 5 knives that get the most use.  I have always thought the Wusthof’s were excellent until I bought a Shun Premier 8” Chef’s knife a few months ago. The Wusthof’s are really good and especially durable but I liked the Shun’s so much I have since added a Santoku 7”, boning 6” and slicing 9.5”.  I had a friend who has a number of custom Japanese knives sharpen them and I am really impressed.  My description is they are razor blades with handles.  If you haven’t tried a Japanese blade you are missing out.
    Couldn’t agree more. I started getting into Japanese blades maybe a decade or so and while pricey, they continue to be the best investment I’ve made as far as enjoyment of the kitchen. Also, for me, carbon steel (and especially aogami blue super) is the ultimate. Finding a knife you love is a joy.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    I have 5-6 Shun and Miyabi's that are my "go to".  SWMBO has her own collection of terrible, cheap, dull knives that she prefers.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I'm cheap and abuse them, so Mundial 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I bought the first 23 yeears ago when I enrolled in culinary school, no I am not a doctor, and use them all with the exception of the small filled knife. I keep Rapala knives at camp. 
    I like German steel, Wusthof Classic. Health Inspector like them too 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @MasterC - PM sent.  Great collection right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The Germans make Sham Wow, so you know their knives must be good.
    Options
    ...but then again, the cultural history of German food is more practical than adventurous or creative.  Germans are all business, eating food is part of charging your batteries so you can work more. 
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'm cheap and abuse them, so Mundial 
    Me too brother. My knives take a beating. I use Victorinox and a few Dexters. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ValleyGirl
    Options
    My go to knife is a 9" henckels chef knife, bought it in the early 80's, sharpen the sucker on a diamond steel.  Only time I cut myself my kid said "What's that white thing on the cutting board".  That was the end of my finger and never happened again.  Ok, have I jinxed myself!

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I love my Shun Premier K shaped gyuto and pairing knife. My workhorse is a cheap cleaver from the Wok Shop.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    ValleyGirl said:
    Only time I cut myself my kid said "What's that white thing on the cutting board".  That was the end of my finger and never happened again.  Ok, have I jinxed myself!
    I hope not; I've resisted mentioning the fact that I've actually cut myself with a chef's knife one time less than you, so
    oh hell.  :anguished:  

Seriously, I've never cut myself with a chef's knife.  I have with my paring knife, kitchen scissors, cut every limb on my body with box cutters back when I was a real box cutter, and even had my staple remover confiscated by my supervisor.  
    But I've never cut myself with a chef's knife.  Until tomorrow, prolly. :|  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...