Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the XL?

Options
Just curious in everyone elses method of lighting there XL. How much lump? Ignition? Difference between low n slow, and high heat cooks?

For low and slow i fill up the fire ring and light in the center with Looftlighter and let it stay open for 10 mins or so, then close the lid and dial in temp.

Same procedure for high heat, except i light in 3+ places.

Blake.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have the Large BGE. Your procedure is almost identical to the one that i use. But again I have the large not the Xlarge but this should be of little consequence in my view. Sounds to me like you are doing it perfect.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    You got it. That's what I do but with a Mapp torch.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Weed burner for high temp cooks and looftlighter in the center for low n slows here.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

For most cooks, I just pour in some charcoal and light it with a starter cube - unless I am in a hurry on a weekday in which case I use 3 cubes. 

For a long cook - or a long day of cooking multiple items - I fill my XL up to where it will almost touch the platesetter.  Then I clear out a little spot at the front of the grill so I can guarantee that at least two holes in the charcoal grate are unobstructed to ensure unrestricted airflow.  Then I light one starter cube in the center.  With this technique I can get temps of 1200+ and I can do an overnight cook (sleeping soundly) and continue on cooking all the next day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2014
    Options
    for grilling cooks I light in multiple spots covering how much grid I plan to use.   for example the complete xl grid, I'd light at clock locations 3, 6, 9 and 12 plus the center.   for half grid , 1 spot back, 2 spots center and 1 spot forward

On smoking, low and slow. I light 3 spots in triangle shape slightly forward of center.  the three spots are about 6 inches from each other, similar to forming a triangle using your two hands: thumbs pointing at each other and touching with index fingers extended and touching.

bring the cooker up to temp with the dome closed.  closed creats a draw and helps the lump burn into itself.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.