Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show Us Your Cast Iron

Options

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have all Lodge and am very pleased with all:  skillets in 5", 8", 10", and 12".  DO's in 2 Qt and 5 Qt.  Note the 2 qt lid fits the 8" skillet, the 5 Qt lid fits the 10" skillet.  The 12" skillet fits on my XL even with the handle - room to spare.image
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Cast iron is cast iron! it adds no flavor to what you are cooking! it is a great cooking vessel for sure. An old Griswold will not cook any better than a new Lodge...................... I collected Griswold for many years and only have a few pieces left and rarely cook with them. So what ever you can find and fits your budget will do a fine job for sure. Just my thoughts! :)]

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Cast iron is cast iron! it adds no flavor to what you are cooking! it is a great cooking vessel for sure. An old Griswold will not cook any better than a new Lodge...................... I collected Griswold for many years and only have a few pieces left and rarely cook with them. So what ever you can find and fits your budget will do a fine job for sure. Just my thoughts! :)]

I mostly agree. The big differences are weight and non-stick properties. Also, I enjoy finding the old stuff and getting a good deal. I have a number 10 Griswold and a new Lodge of the same size. The Griswold is much lighter and the non stick of the Griswold is not even comparable to the Lodge. All that being said, the Lodge will do just fine for any task I ask of it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Good for you. Something to be mighty proud of
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @travisstrick - Try a Netherton Foundry pan, none of this Lodge or Griswold stuff from the colonies, Queen's Scout here.   \:D/
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    OK guys I have just the one Lodge griddle I got recently and will likely only get a couple more pieces as I find it high maintenance. Any tips on cleaning or maintaining the stuff? Does it get easier with age? I use the griddle for mostly burgers, onions and asparagus but I have to break out steel wool on it to get the crusted on remains off of it. I always put some oil back on it after the scrub but is there an easier way to keep stuff from sticking to begin with? I usually just put some compound butter on it before the food goes on. Ive watched the videos on the Lodge site. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dobie said:
    OK guys I have just the one Lodge griddle I got recently and will likely only get a couple more pieces as I find it high maintenance. Any tips on cleaning or maintaining the stuff? Does it get easier with age? I use the griddle for mostly burgers, onions and asparagus but I have to break out steel wool on it to get the crusted on remains off of it. I always put some oil back on it after the scrub but is there an easier way to keep stuff from sticking to begin with? I usually just put some compound butter on it before the food goes on. Ive watched the videos on the Lodge site. 
    This is probably not the most recommended approach, but if I get one particularly crusty I just put it on the stove with water and boil off the food bits and scrape with a soft spatula (wood or silicone).  Dry it well, then give it a good coat of oil to prevent rusting.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You will want The Ringer.  Anyone who says they only use a paper towel to clean their cast iron after cooking doesn't really use CI.  For 20 bucks, it's worth every penny and makes a PITA chore a breeze.

Upkeep can be done easily with a light spray of Pam and wiping with a paper towel before going back on the rack.  

Cooking with higher smokepoint fats like ghee are ideal on the egg for searing.  Easy to make at home, plenty of how-to videos to help.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Focker said:
    You will want The Ringer.  Anyone who says they only use a paper towel to clean their cast iron after cooking doesn't really use CI.  For 20 bucks, it's worth every penny and makes a PITA chore a breeze.

Upkeep can be done easily with a light spray of Pam and wiping with a paper towel before going back on the rack.  

Cooking with higher smokepoint fats like ghee are ideal on the egg for searing.  Easy to make at home, plenty of how-to videos to help.  

Thanks. Will get one on order.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Cooks illustrated did a piece years ago on an item like the ringer and a buddy gave me one for my birthday. The one I got is smaller but it looks like it has larger gauge steel. Either way they are great and make clean up so much easier.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I use an Old Mountain CI and a Staub Dutch Oven.imageimageimage
  • Focker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Focker said:

It's a great tool Mickey.  This product will not harm the vintage CI machined finish for those concerned.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Antique Wagner pre 1960's (thanks @travisstrick for helping with identification) that my mother gave to me.  Love this thing.  

For my first fathers day, my wife and new baby girl have me a Lodge set.  It is pretty good stuff too.  It had a three skillets and a 5qt dutch oven.  

Here is my antique: 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    I use CI all the time, egg, oven and stovetop. Have never used anything but water, Pam and a paper towel to clean mine.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I use CI all the time, egg, oven and stovetop. Have never used anything but water, Pam and a paper towel to clean mine.
    Apparently, you don't even use it. I am ashamed too, as I use a paper towel or a wet, non-soapy sponge. Hopefully we can be forgiven.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I use only antique CI and have no intention of cutting off a handle. No Lodge for me. :) My skillets range from a #3 to #12 (5 1/2" to 11 1/2" PLUS the length of the handle), so I can always find something that fits both the food and the Large. Here in New England, antique CI is cheaper than Lodge too! Which is great cuz I don't much like Lodge. :)

Why do you not like Lodge? I love the stuff, but am interested in your opinion.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Apparently, you don't even use it. I am ashamed too, as I use a paper towel or a wet, non-soapy sponge. Hopefully we can be forgiven.

+1 and even on a sticky dessert I've been fine with a little scrub brush, water, towel/paper towel and recoat lightly with oil. I use our CastIronware a lot.
    I think the more you use it the better it gets. So am I also forgiven. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I use kosher salt and a paper towel
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @tjv whats the answer to my large deep skillet fitting inside the handles of a large Woo? I figure you're the Woo Master :)
     Max. 16" diameter is a safe size to fit inside the PSWoo.  14" dia. will extend to the three half circle braces but fits very loose and can slide out if lifted and tilted.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    If it's real dirty, I add about 1" of water, bring it up to a boil, wipe it out (with a paper towel), spray a spot of Pam in the bottom, put it back on the burner, and wipe the excess oil out until I get very little on the paper towel, turn the burner off and let her cool. Yes, "her", just like a women, treat her right and she'll be last your whole life..
  • Focker
    Options
    Can you guys help me out then?  My technique is wrong I guess.  CI is seasoned fine.  Usually preheat CI slowly and at lower temps on gas cooktop.  Longer preheats and IR temps on the egg are 500 ballpark.  Raised direct.  Never screaming white hot.  

Before the Ringer, I would use a tapered end metal spatula to scrape pans clean, then scrub with a Lysol sponge.

Even with a fatty bacon cook on simmer, there is burnt crud stuck to the bottom of the pan.
    Soaking did not help.  A paper towel would be a joke.  Even salt as an abrasive did not work.  

Ghee or lard is the fat used.  What am I doing wrong?  No matter the cook, pans are always crudded with some sort of burnt residue.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I use only antique CI and have no intention of cutting off a handle. No Lodge for me. :) My skillets range from a #3 to #12 (5 1/2" to 11 1/2" PLUS the length of the handle), so I can always find something that fits both the food and the Large. Here in New England, antique CI is cheaper than Lodge too! Which is great cuz I don't much like Lodge. :)

Why do you not like Lodge? I love the stuff, but am interested in your opinion.
    I prefer to cook on my antique first.  Why?  The nostalgic feeling I get when cooking on it.  Mine was passed down to me from our family.  My mother ate from this very pan growing up and so did everyone else.  Would love to have a nickel for every meal cooked in it.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    That's when I put the water in pan, bring it to  a boil, which releases all those cruddy things. Never, never use soap. A couple of years ago my wife thought she would help me out and washed one of my skillets in the sink with soapy water and a scrunge.....and then put it in the dishwasher, good thing thing I love that women. Took me 3 oven sessions and about 3 cooks to get the seasonong back to a non-stick state. She will no ,longer clean my CI's. Might have been her intent all along.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For those asking why I don't like Lodge, it's more a preference for antique stuff than a dislike of Lodge. That said, I think Lodge products are too thick, too heavy and the finish too coarse. I'm sure it cooks okay, but as long as I can find Griswold and Wagner stuff, that's what I'll buy. Especially since it's cheaper than Lodge, around here anyway. If I ever need to cut the handle off, I'll buy a Lodge. :)

As for cleaning, hot water and a stiff nylon brush works for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    When I've soaked in the past, it only removes the top layer of crud, requiring resoaks.  Although I didn't add heat or soap.  The crud I am speaking of is more like carbon stuck to the seasoning, not burnt bits.  Relating it to the sugar in cured items, or fat that burns into the seasoning during a high temp sear.  All I have to do is bring water to a boil and wipe with a paper towel to remove this?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    @Eggcelsior or NPHuskerFL,

Any input?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    That's when I put the water in pan, bring it to  a boil, which releases all those cruddy things. Never, never use soap. A couple of years ago my wife thought she would help me out and washed one of my skillets in the sink with soapy water and a scrunge.....and then put it in the dishwasher, good thing thing I love that women. Took me 3 oven sessions and about 3 cooks to get the seasonong back to a non-stick state. She will no ,longer clean my CI's. Might have been her intent all along.
    My wife thought I was crazy for liking CI so much.  Well, she began getting intriqued about them.  Now, she likes to cook on them as well.  I gave her a nice lesson on how to clean and then re season properly.  

I use kosher salt and a paper towel first if things aren't bad.  If stuff is stuck I try to clean while hot.  Little hot water, salt, and a sponge.  Put back on heat to dry, then thin coat of canola oil.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Options
    @prodraft1954,

Seems like this would work with scrambled egg cooks.  Will try tomorrow.  Thanks
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    No one said your technique was wrong. You are the one that made that assumption.

I have no idea why you get so much stuck on stuff, I don't. Do you let your pan cool down all the way before cleaning? The worse I have to do is a light scraping to get burnt fond off after searing sometimes.
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    Yep, I've had to boil a pan a couple of times if it's real bad.It's also better to put the water in the pan and boil once while the pan is still hot from the cook, don't wait for it to cool down and then try to cleean it. If the pan is hot, the pores of the CI are open and it's easier to clean. That all seasonong is, heat up the metal to open it's pores, add oil so it seeps into the pores, wipe off excess. As the pan cools and the pores close up it will push out the excess oil which makes it non-sick the next time.