Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp and Crab leg boil ??

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
We do one once a year and I am looking for a better recipe. I generally use Zatarains with some Cajun spices I am looking to kick it up a bit. Anybody have a tried a true recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Invite me, supply beer, cook and I'll let you know how it was.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    This one will really kick it up. Be warned my friend, it's beyond hot.http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167173/thermonuclear-crawfish-boil-recipe#latest

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @henapple it will be Labor Day weekend so brang it on!! Damn @sgh - it looks like you are trying to turn my rectum inside out with that one!!! :D:D

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    You said you wanted to kick it up! ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Find some Chinese Red Pepper, add about 4 TBSP to the recommended Zatarain's and you will have a GREAT boil.
    Options
    Also known as Tien Tsin?? They look to be rather warm.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Do you guys use ice at the end to shock the shrimp & bugs so they draw more flavor??

analyze adapt overcome

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'm a fan of the classic low country boil w old bay. When I do it its for folks of all tolerance levels so I kick it up with homemade tarter and cocktail sauce of varying temps. Some cocktail made with "bull snort" or "fire in the hole" is hot enough even for the Marines I invite. Not really an answer to your question I realize...but hey.

KS
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    Absolutely I do. It stops the cooking process immediately and also causes them to sink. This is when they really pick up the spice.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have a special way of cooking crawfish.  As far as I know, I'm the only one that cooks them this way.  As far as spices go, that last post was my significant other.  I like spice levels that the average person will find unpalatable.   AKA "burning ring of fire".  Thank you Johnny Cash.  My love is for capsicum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWJF35Q81k
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Willing to share your way of cooking them?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I'm by no means an expert, but I shrugged off everything everyone told me on how to cook them and applied my philosophy to my crawfish and they were excellent.  In a nutshell, I bring the water to a boil, then dump in the crawfish, which immediately cools the pot down.  I adjust the temp, stirring, until I reach around 160F.  I maintain that temp for 15 minutes or so, then shut it down.  The crawfish meat doesn't shrink and stick.  You get full meat and juice.  

My philosophy is based on the shrinkage you get with any seafood - the water loss - when you bring it up to 212F.  For safety reasons, 160 for 5 minutes kills anything dangerous.  I tried this the first time, was nervous, but the results were phenomenal.  At least in my opinion.  Other people seemed to enjoy them too.  So that's how I do them.  Don't bring them up to a boil.  Use a thermapen and stir.   Let them sit to infuse the heat and salt.  That happens at any temp.
    Options
    Brother I know a guy that uses a approach very similar to that. He is from over your way. His name is Keith Delatte. I don't know the exact temp he used but I do know that they do not come to a boil. His were excellent. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and ask what temp he uses out of curiously. I have never tried cooking them this way myself but as I said earlier his were great.,I'm going to give it a try as well. Thanks for sharing Nola.

Status- Standing by.