Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide is starting to grow on me (pics)

Options
bweekes
bweekes Posts: 725
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Well, after an underwhelming sous vide ribeye cook (link here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1547070#Comment_1547070), I had some pretty good cooks. Tried chicken breasts and they turned out great - was really happy w/ the results. And tonight, finished off some beef short ribs that had been in the bath at 140 since Wednesday morning. About a 60 hour cook in total. Consistency of the ribs were awesome - and for the first time I can finally say I like something cooked sous vide more than the traditional method on the egg.

Plated pic is terrible, but wanted to show the red wine balsamic sauce I did with them.

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SV short ribs are amazingly good. Nice cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    bweekescaliking  I have to agree with both of you, sous vide short ribs are the bomb. I don't know what it is but it transforms them into something totally different in texture and flavor
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bweekes
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    bweekescaliking  I have to agree with both of you, sous vide short ribs are the bomb. I don't know what it is but it transforms them into something totally different in texture and flavor
    Couldn't agree more. It's also nice to cook for 60 hours and still have perfect wall to wall pink. I'm still early in this SV journey, but can't wait to experiment with different bath times to see how it impacts the overall texture. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Oh !! I keep seeing these SV post and I am getting so excited !! I am getting an Anova through their Kick starter but it comes in October

what kind of learning curve are we looking at here ? ?
    Toronto
  • bweekes
    Options
    Oh !! I keep seeing these SV post and I am getting so excited !! I am getting an Anova through their Kick starter but it comes in October

IMO, the learning curve is not flat, but it's not steep either. I think there are fewer variables in the cooking process vs. the traditional method on the egg. Once you find the right temp and time setting, you'll get consistent results every time - that's the beauty of SV cooking. Also, this forum helps flatten the learning curve - do as much reading in advance as possible and you'll hit the ground running! Good luck!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • pantsypants
    Options
    thanks , i am pretty excited
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @pantsypants‌ Me too. Really curious to see how the whole app thing with recipes will work out. If it works as advertised, that might flatten the learning curve even more.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    Options
    @DMW I agree 100 %
    I am following all SV posts very carefully
    Toronto
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I love my sous vide supreme but have never done short ribs. How did you brown them afterwards? Torch? Egg? CI? They look delicious!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • bweekes
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I love my sous vide supreme but have never done short ribs. How did you brown them afterwards? Torch? Egg? CI? They look delicious!
    I let the ribs cool for about 20 minutes, re-seasoned with DP's raising the steaks rub and seared low down on my Joe Jr. Given that this is a BGE forum, I didn't want to offend anyone with my Kamado Joe pic! LOL. Just didn't make sense to spark up the XL egg to do it. But anyways, I prefer to sear over hot coals as opposed to a torch which doesn't impart any flavour. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I agree totally on the torch...and I would use my Jr. instead of firing up my XL, too :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options

For all of you sous vide lurkers, Sous Vide Supreme is offering an "open box" sale at more than half off.  I purchased mine for $199. free shipping and it is perfect, no scratches or dents and brand new.  Did a flank steak for 18 hours at 136* and it was great. Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options

I got in on that too, ordered a pair of them via Kickstarter.  Not sure if this is a cruel joke, or an opportunity, but for participating in one of Anova's buyer surveys, they've sent me a $50 off code for anything from their online store.  The only thing I can currently get from their online store is their precision cooker (but I already have two Anova One's on order).  I'd kind of figured on gifting one of the Ones, so for another $149, I could have one of each of their home-grade models.  Is it worth it to have two sous vide controllers? 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    @njl‌ - It is worth it if you plan on cooking protein and vegetables or proteins at two different IT. There are ways to use just one but it requires planning. Two is good.

edited August 2014
    Options
    @njl - short answer, YES. Tri-tip in the Trés Booblay at 11:00AM, 136ºF - Carrots in the other Trés Booblay at 4:00PM, 186ºF - Taters, twice bake on the egg after the egg has done the ABT's. Dinner at 5:30PM. Taters come off, egg goes nuclear and tri-tip gets seared or more likely the tri-tip gets seared on the gasser on the Lodge flat top, surface temp is 650º within 15 minutes. 
    I feel like a chef with all these toys doing their thing. 
    :)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Skiddymarker why do you always say Trés Booblay? I have googled, bing'd or yahood that term every time you say it and it never comes back with anything?  Across the internet the only thing that comes back are threads you have commented on using that term. I've come to figure out it means SV. But why do you say Trés Booblay?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    He made a believer out of me about SV. His was the first I ever ate and it was incredible. The chicken breast was the best I have ever had. I gladly helped to eat everything he cooked. Tri tip, Ribeyes and chicken. It was all spectacular to say the least.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @SGH the Tri-Tip was Prime and done reverse sear.  The grass fed ribeyes and the pasture raised chicken were done SV and finished on the egg.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Spectacular nonetheless my friend. Absolutely spectacular.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @Bweekes  

Try pork SV as well. It really shines when you do a chop in the SV and season heavy after and sear.
  • bweekes
    Options
    Wow - got @SGH and @Thatgrimguy on my post - feel honoured right now!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • SGH
    Options
    @bweekes‌
    The honor is mine my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Thatgrimguy‌ He made a believer out of me about SV. His was the first I ever ate and it was incredible. The chicken breast was the best I have ever had. I gladly helped to eat everything he cooked. Tri tip, Ribeyes and chicken. It was all spectacular to say the least.
    Guess it is a localism, but seems to make sense given the French term sous vide. Trés - the term for very and Booblay, the Francophone attempting to speak English saying bubbly. Started using it some time ago, and it kind of stuck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bweekes
    Options
    SGH said:
    @bweekes‌ The honor is mine my friend.
    Thank you SGH. Always look forward to your posts!
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Skiddymarker why do you always say Trés Booblay? I have googled, bing'd or yahood that term every time you say it and it never comes back with anything?  Across the internet the only thing that comes back are threads you have commented on using that term. I've come to figure out it means SV. But why do you say Trés Booblay?
    Sorry - @Thatgrimguy - referenced wrong post. 
    Guess it is a localism, but seems to make sense given the French term sous vide. Trés - the term for very and Booblay, the Francophone attempting to speak English saying bubbly. Started using it some time ago, and it kind of stuck. 

• SGH
    Options
    @bweekes‌
    Thank you sir. I'm glad that you enjoy them my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    So, my discounted Anova has arrived.  What should I cook first...and how?  I was surprised that the user guide that came with it had nothing for recipes.

I'm also curious...if I was to take it on trips, is sous vide in a hotel room feasible?  Do you have to sear after sous vide for it to be any good...or could you sous vide a steak to 135F and just eat it right out of the bag?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    njl said:
    So, my discounted Anova has arrived.  What should I cook first...and how?  I was surprised that the user guide that came with it had nothing for recipes.

I'm also curious...if I was to take it on trips, is sous vide in a hotel room feasible?  Do you have to sear after sous vide for it to be any good...or could you sous vide a steak to 135F and just eat it right out of the bag?
    Sous vide chicken for 2.5 hours at 144.
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Trust him on that. His was phenomenal. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.