Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disastrous First attempt at Pizza

Options
2»

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have already figured out a lot of the mistakes.  Everyone has a learning curve with pizza, and we each have our own techniques.

I did not realize how long it had been since I had done them, until I went looking for my last cook. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158771/pizza-party#latest  .  Not my prettiest, but went down well.

I use my Woo to get the stone high in the dome, and here's my peel, and I use parchment paper.  http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/american-metalcraft/2512/p382839.aspx  I think the biggest mistakes I see are too much topping, and too hot for store bought dough.

Keep trying, you will get it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Sorry you had trouble, but thanks for the laugh. :) $35? Really? Pizza too large for stone? If the pie is hanging over the edge, this cannot have a happy ending. Make smaller pies. Cornmeal doesn't go on the stone. It goes on the PEEL. To allow the pie to slide off easily. Onto a hot naked stone. I am not a fan of parchment paper. AT ALL. But maybe it would be a good choice for you. No cornmeal needed. Different dough recipes, different temps. Higher hydration doughs can take higher temps. I do pies at anywhere from 475 to 725F, depending on the dough recipe. Generic dough from the grocery or pizza joint is best at about 500F. Gasket melted? Welcome to the club. Get a Rutland. I stopped doing pizza on the egg some time ago as I find them just as good in my oven. And easier. All of the above still applies though, except the gasket.

++++++++

I made a $350 pizza on the egg that we never got to eat. $35 is nothing.

I had the first pie on the egg. Went back in the kitchen when my wife yelled "Where's the 2nd pizza dough??!!" I had push it back on the counter in a pizza box - our Golden is a counter surfer and thought we had learned. He pulled the box off the counter, ate a 12 dough ball. 

Long story short, dog poisoned control call ($), trip to the vet the next day ($$$) and not even leftovers. 

Bottom line, my make your own pizza on the BGE ROI is completely underwater. Nonetheless, I made fresh sauce today for pizza tomorrow night! 

LOL, reminds me of the $800 vet trip with x-rays and breathing therapy for my cat that cost $16 at the animal shelter.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hum, link to the peel did not take.  Google American Metalcraft and look at the largest aluminum peel.

• Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    Keep trying you will get it, just did this tonight.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    My first
    New Albany, Ohio