Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skillet Pizza

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I was scolded in another thread and instructed to start a new one.

Grated mozzarella, thin tomato slices, red onion, sliced garlic, basil, oregano.

Without sauce, maybe its tomato pie instead of pizza?
imageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    Looks picture perfect to me! Good job!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks tasty. I still haven't done pizza yet because of diet restrictions. I may give in in a month or so.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Looks good. I wouldn't call it tomato pie as this is what I refer to tomato pie, and it's heavenly: http://www.corropolesebakery.com/?page_id=13
    Dunedin, FL
  • DMW
    Options
    @yzzi I know its not real tomato pie. I want to try that though.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    If you're in Morgantown then the Royersford location isn't all that far. I HIGHLY recommend getting a tomato pie there. I grew up on theirs and my parents have one ready for us everytime we visit. Gosh, I want some right now!

Btw, Margherita pizza?
    Dunedin, FL
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you call it, that looks good.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks fabulous - how'd it taste?
    Options
    @nolaegghead It was really good. I wasn't sure without sauce, but it worked.
    I never got a crisp crust from a skillet pizza before. The dough was a week old, the flavor that developed sitting in the fridge was spot on.

@yzzi Nope, it wasn't Margherita, though that is one of my favorites.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Wow, that looks great! I've been doing all my pizzas with fresh tomatoes (usually chopped), garlic, a little dried oregano, and basil instead of sauce lately, love the fresh taste. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I frequently use sliced tomatoes in lieu of sauce.  I actually prefer that, but SWMBO prefers sauce, so I mix it up.

So you put it in a cold CI pan.  I would put that on a powerful burner for a while prior to the oven/egg.  I see the top done long before the CI heats up to the 400+ temp needed for a crust.
    Options
    That last pic looks fantastic! Nicely done.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Oh, you're saying you did get a crisp crust.  Sorry, my reading comprehension is retarded after a few adult beverages.
    Options
    @‌DMW
    Looks like a winner to me. I'll take 3!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @nolaegghead Yes, built it in the cold CI. The egg was about 525* when I put it on, close the bottom vent down a good bit and it drop to 475* for the rest of the cook. I wanted to bake it cooler, but that's what it was, and it turned out great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks delicious!
    Flint, Michigan
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,587
    Options
    Absolutely awesome looking and I am sure tasting... Fantastic.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Do you deliver?
    BTW, nice new thread.
    ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    Options
    @caliking Thanks, I used my RAZR :)) It actually was my S3 I was surprised how it turned out from the crappy camera on this phone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    looking good!!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• DMW
    Options
    Have a decent one blowing in, enjoying nature's fireworks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice looking pie despite the crappy pics ;)

Need to do another CI deep dish pie soon. Did my only one very similar, built it cold and put it on a very hot egg
  • DMW
    Options
    Tough to get a shot of lightning. Managed this one.

I guess I could go get my real camera and tripod and just open the shutter and wait, but that seems like too much work considering the beers...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Night lightening shot with a camera phone!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Pizza looks great man. Makes me want to start experimenting with pizza again. :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks good.  Think I will try this one.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    As my grandmother (who was the ultimate Southern Lady) would say, "that is perfectly lovely"
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    TTC said:
    As my grandmother (who was the ultimate Southern Lady) would say, "that is perfectly lovely"
    @TTC. She would probably add, " Bless your heart"!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That pielooks familiar :-?

Oh ya some dude was using it to peddle FireWire =))

Nice looking pies. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    Try peach pie. =))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Looks good. I wouldn't call it tomato pie as this is what I refer to tomato pie, and it's heavenly: http://www.corropolesebakery.com/?page_id=13
    +1. I pick a pie up for work sometimes.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA