Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking off a non BBQ type meal

Options
2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ ok I'm not gonna go on a RO bashing spree even though it would be oh so fun and we could get this thread on fire >:) and Smokey just like RO :))

Do yourself a favor and try a different brand. Any brand.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    One of the things I did like about low carb is not having to measure anything.  Not worrying if I had a 3 - 6 ounce piece of meat.  I understand I cant eat a box of pasta but counting 8 pieces of ziti is nerve racking.  I'll look into the app to see if it can work for me.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @robnybbq Yeah, weighing stuff gets old quickly, and almost impossible when on the run. Once you get used to it you can start to guesstimate portion sizes fairly closely.

The other thing to keep in mind when dining out is most entrees are sized way too big. I would ask for a take out box to be brought when my meal was. First thing I did when the food was brought was put half of it in the box and close it.

Oh, and I was a little **** to live with for the first 3 weeks or so, according to my wife. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    Options

@robnybbq‌ ok I'm not gonna go on a RO bashing spree even though it would be oh so fun and we could get this thread on fire >:) and Smokey just like RO :)) Do yourself a favor and try a different brand. Any brand.
    I hear you on the RO bashing spree - Out of RO, Cowboy or Frontier - Which one?  That is all that is local around here.

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ Here's the apps @HuskerMaMa‌ uses. She has done extremely well. It's a lifestyle not a diet (diets tend to be temporary thus they don't work for many people in longevity situations).
    imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    robnybbq said:

@robnybbq‌ ok I'm not gonna go on a RO bashing spree even though it would be oh so fun and we could get this thread on fire >:) and Smokey just like RO :))

Do yourself a favor and try a different brand. Any brand.

I hear you on the RO bashing spree - Out of RO, Cowboy or Frontier - Which one?  That is all that is local around here.

Ouch! Those choices suck! Nothing else local? I use WGWW (Wicked Good Weekend Warrior) which is very neutral lump and to get extra smoke I use wood chunks. Are you an Amazon Prime member?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +3 on @NPHuskerFL‌ view on RO. I also don't want to start a war, but if I had stayed with that, I would probably given up on the egg. WAY to smokey for me. I buy my lump off firecraft.com.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ I respectfully disagree (i cannot speak 4 my wife but, I know she weighs food when possible & judgment when it's not possible). It took my wife YEARS to make this leap. After failing with "diet" after "diet". She has been very successful. The key is finding what works for you and sticking with it. I am one of these people that can eat and eat and not gain (pretty sure I've got worms :)) ). But, at 42 I've been doing much better at what I eat as I want to stay healthy. I mean I'm a total PITA and I want to ensure I'm around to enjoy it all ;-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL
    I don't think we're disagreeing. WW is a lifestyle change completely, at least it was for me. Not a short time, let's lose X amount of weight.

The loss of 80 pounds took me 11 months and I've kept it off almost 9 so far. Still tracking everything I eat in WW, on their maintenance plan.

I do need to give MyFitnessPal a try, I do use RunKeeper already. I could use the WW subscription savings for more accessories for the egg...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ yep you're right we DON'T disagree here :-). Damn! I thought we could debate this $hi+ :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Thanks guys - Back to the meals.  What to try this weekend.

Garnerville, NY
  • LincolnPark_Egghead
    Options
    @robnybbq you should check out the reddit subforum on low carb /r/keto. Lots of good low carb recipes are posted there and its a good support network. I did the low carb diet 3 years ago and lost about 50 lbs. Gained 35 of it back in the last 18 months or so, so I am getting back on the wagon. 

Like you, I usually eat chicken for lunch. Dinner is usually a steak, sea food or pork. Which can get boring but I try and find ways to spice it up. Whether its mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatos, or making a good sauce to go with the protein, I can usually find something. 

Good luck. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL