Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking off a non BBQ type meal

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
Looking for ideas for a low carb meal cooked on the egg but not looking for a BBQ taste if that makes sense. No traditional rub or heavy smoke flavor. Any ideas?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Lemon herb chicken breasts, grilled shrimp in garlic butter, CI seared scallops, halibut in parchment paper, ....
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Simply do a hamburger and then eat it with a fried egg or just a big salad. Do a cavan steak and have it with a salad
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Turkey burgers.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Portobello mushroom "burgers".   :-bd

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Fish
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Braised Lamb shanks, Braised Short Ribs, Cast Iron Pan Seared Whole Chicken. All of these cooks produce delicious results, and none of them are typical BBQ. However they are perfect for the egg and all low carb, if you stay away from the potatoes and bread on the side . I did use carrots which have some carbs but not really the ones you are probably trying to avoid. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Chicken with a simple garden rub would work..

Any fish really.

Recently did some great mahi mahi on the BGE, with a tequila lime marinade and it was fantastic in some warmed tortillas on the grill.

Cabbage, and and roasted corn salsa, and it was pretty low calorie, fat, and everything, but high in flavor.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    My go to would be a spatchcock. Easy, quick, delicious.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions above. Anything interesting yet @robnybbq ??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • robnybbq
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Those all look good.  need to learn how to make some of those braised cooks.

We ended up ordering seafood takeout.

Never had a burger with a fried Egg yet.  I have made some plain burgers without out the bun but its just not the same without the bun.

Have not been in the mood for spatchcock or any chicken for that much (I eat chicken for lunch almost every day - chicken cesar salad, grilled chicken on salad) - sick of it.

Plus the smoky flavor in chicken when cooked on the Egg.  Just looking for something different and not tasting of smoke - I guess that means in the oven or stove top.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I want to do more fish on the egg but its usually not worth the effort.  Wife will only eat flounder/talapia.  I will eat most fish.  I tried salmon and grouper on the egg and 1. its a mess all over and 2 it just does not taste good like getting it cooked at a restaurant.  Shrimp are easy but I only eat them.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    Options
    For fish, shouldn't be messy. 

Try cedar planks for stuff like salmon.

Fish steaks don't make a mess at all. Here's some swordfish steaks that I really liked. The entire family enjoyed these. Might give swordfish steaks a try for your wife.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Portobello burger, as mentioned above, is quite good. If you have to give up the bun, maybe wrap it at the end in whole lettuce leaves. Lots of marinated mushrooms grill nicely.

Its unfortunate your wife appears to not like "oil" fishes, like salmon. Most people find the oil fish to be the best tasting, not to mention the most nutritious. Many of the markets in my area carry fresh rainbow trout. I could eat that all day.  My wife "officially" does not like fish, which means that anything with a "fishy" taste she hates. The rainbow usually are fresh enough that she has no objection. If the flesh has started to go "fishy," soak in a brine w. some sort of citrus juice for about half an hour before cooking.

Don't over cook fish, a very common mistake. Above 120F, fish starts getting rubbery.

Here's a fish crust recipe I came across a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it, but it looks good,

FISH CRUST

.9 oz    hazelnuts
    .8 oz    sesame seed
    .2 oz    coriander seed
    .1 oz     fennel pollen
    .05 oz    salt

Roast hazelnuts for 10 min. at 350F. Rub the roasted nuts to remove skins, chop coarsely. Toast sesame and coriander in a small pan, medium heat for about 3 min. Transfer all to a grinder, and make powder. Avoid grinding into paste.

I've substituted ground fennel seed for fennel pollen. The pollen has more flavor, so one needs more ground seed for a similar taste.

I came across recipes a few weeks ago using either Indian paneer cheese, or Mexican queso fresco/blanco. Both of those can be soaked in marinades, and big chunks skewered w. veg. to make a nice kebab. Greek houlumi cheese might also work, but I haven't tried that yet.

If you have an Oriental market around, look for soba noodles. They are made either from all buckwheat, or are mostly buckwheat, which is not wheat at all. May satisfy your pasta cravings with only a few carbs.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i know you said no shrimp but with all the flavors in a shrimp taco im sure she would like this

stuffed tomatoes and peppers, prep one night cook the next

some reason i dont have a cooked pic of this, squash and zuchinni cassrrole

if she hates lobster you really have your hands tied, prices are really coming down this year
    :))

you can buy the steak florantines already to cook

taco salads

sometimes its hard to beat the simplicity of a thin fried pork chop, no reason to over think this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    Options
    How are you cooking the taco salads on the Egg?  I guess I could eat them tacoless. 

I have made the stuffed peppers - they are good for one night here and there.  Not a fan of bell peppers unless rendered down to nothing like sausage and peppers.

Now I want lobster and she will not eat them or any shellfish either.  Time to send her on a vacation for the weekend while I host a lobsterfest/shrimp fest.

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ CI skillet Blackened Grouper w/ a mango salsa and asparagus. Make it a meal for 2. B-)
    imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you can make the taco bowls with flour or corn tortillas, the flour ones fluff up, your only eating one. they have a special bowl that you oil then bake in but theres other ways to make the bowl if you google it. season the meat with taco seasoning, brown in a skillet and do cheese and bake and melt and add whatever ingrediants you want. for the stuffed peppers, notice some are stuffed tomatoes, we stuff with meat rice tomato guts and seasonings so half are stuffed in tomatoes

fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    Options
    That looks like another great meal for me and not so much for the other half.   Let me ask this question.  Making the blackened grouper?  is it loading it with some spices and searing it at high temps until done?  Does the Egg make that much of a difference in that type of cook or would the stove top do just as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    fishlessman - What time are you serving dinner?  I'm coming over.

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ my best half has changed her lifestyle in the way she eats. That said this had an extremely lite dusting of blackening seasoning. Seared on CI skillet. Etc here I give you the link. But, she logs EVERYTHING she eats and also same w/ exercise. So, it was important to me to be considerate of this. And the wood flavor gave an extra layer of flavor so I liked it much better off the egg (She and I have had our fair share of fine dining blackened fish and this killed it in flavor and texture). The key is not to overdue spices and a hot skillet & don't overcook it).

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167426/huskermama-s-birthday-pic-heavy/p1
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    Options
    never thought to use flounder in this but heres a recipe, get yourself some haddock and make hers flounder, let her try your haddock, it will be better. you can use anything from what you see in the recipe to lemons olives, capers, just try to find fresh ingredients. dont worry about the fancy folding of the ends, fold the paper over and use your stapler. can be done in the oven but if everyones already hanging on the deck, the egg is fine and the house doesnt heat up. it takes minutes to prep but always looks outstanding. dont forget to salt the fish, the fish needs salt
    http://www.neworleans-food.com/recipes_display.php?id=145
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fishlessman‌ I've done similar to my above with Flounder, Ahi, Trout, Croaker, Black Drum, Redfish & Whiting. She liked all of them. But, Grouper was by far the best I've done thus far (but, it could've been the ambiance of the evening as well). :x
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fishlessman‌ thanks for the link share! Bookmarked in my recipe idea folder. Looks like real good eats.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I am working on the way we eat but its very up and down an mostly off the tracks.  Did low carb a year ago for 3 months and lost 30 lbs.  Went off and gained it all back.  Tried to start it again a month ago - dropped 5 lbs - and until last week - derailed again.  I do not think low carb is for me even though it works.  Too many pulling factors to derail that plan.  On the run - dining out, going to parties/events.  One day I hope.  been trying to find a better plan that works for us but no such luck yet.

As for BBQ meals - trying to find a happy medium there to. Getting tired of the pulled porks, chicken with rubs, steaks (unless I spend a fortune on prime meat),

I do not like veggies that much and on the Egg always taste like an ashtray.  but I did finally cook some vegetables that I liked on the Egg,   Sliced squash, zuchinni, red onions - tossed in a bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar - cooked for a few minutes or so (10 maybe) - tokkk off and added a little more balsamic and served - I liked them - no one else did.  Probably not good for me with the vinegar/carbs either.

Cooking meals that we can both eat is a challenge.  I have a whole list of things I would like to make but the other half wont eat them so I dont make them.  I usually end up giving in to whatever she wants or whatever is on the takeout menu choice of the night.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    never thought to use flounder in this but heres a recipe, get yourself some haddock and make hers flounder, let her try your haddock, it will be better. you can use anything from what you see in the recipe to lemons olives, capers, just try to find fresh ingredients. dont worry about the fancy folding of the ends, fold the paper over and use your stapler. can be done in the oven but if everyones already hanging on the deck, the egg is fine and the house doesnt heat up. it takes minutes to prep but always looks outstanding. dont forget to salt the fish, the fish needs salt
    http://www.neworleans-food.com/recipes_display.php?id=145
    I am hungry now. 

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @robnybbq‌ I do a boatload of veggies on the egg and everybody loves them. I go with very little seasoning if any. Most times I use a simple lite S&P. What kind/brand lump are you using?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman‌ thanks for the link share! Bookmarked in my recipe idea folder. Looks like real good eats.
    we dont see much of those southern fish up here but filleted grouper or maybe yellow tail snapper would be good in the paper
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    Options
    I normally use Royal Oak - its whats available around here besides the Cowboy/Frontier.  I do light it and get it to 300 or so for 20-30 minutes before cooking as it takes that long for a somewhat better smoke smell.

I have used Wicked Good and I like it much better as far as less sootier smoke but I dont have much left and no local suppliers.  I usually use that for the long cooks as it lasts allot longer than the RO.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    Options
    robnybbq said:

I do not like veggies that much and on the Egg always taste like an ashtray.  but I did finally cook some vegetables that I liked on the Egg,   Sliced squash, zuchinni, red onions - tossed in a bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar - cooked for a few minutes or so (10 maybe) - tokkk off and added a little more balsamic and served - I liked them - no one else did.  Probably not good for me with the vinegar/carbs either.

Sorry, to me that sounds like one of the most healthy meals you could possibly eat. The no carb thing isn't realistic. Too drastic all at once. 

Take a look at Weight Watchers Online if you have a smartphone. The mobile app works great. You input your starting weight, goal weight, etc. Then start logging everything in the app you eat. Most fresh fruit and vegetables are 0 points.

I don't want to sound like a spokesperson for WW, but it worked for me.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA