Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Monday! PLEASE don't take this wrong!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I've been retired for 10 years now - in fact I turned 70 this weekend on the 4th. I've had a great "run" and I hope to keep ahead of the grim reaper for more years to come. I swear I never regretted Monday mornings as I enjoyed my working career and I hope that my egger friends here have learned to do the same. Why am I posting this?...it's just a sincere wish that you guys and gals have found happiness or will find it in this one way trip since as the adage goes "life isn't a dress rehearsal!" Egg on my friends...egg on! Ron
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well said - from another who has been retired for 12 years, can't figure out how I had time to work!

Must admit though, had no idea tomorrow was Monday until I read your post....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Late Happy Birthday my friend. Hope it was a great one. Just keep the egg smoking my friend. Smoke will keep the bugs and the reaper away! Glad that you are here on the forum my friend. You are one of the great ones.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I can only echo what you said WRT doing something you enjoy and motivates you. Like they say, when you like your work, you never work a day in your life. Last June I decided to try a new role at my company. Let's just say it wasn't the right fit for me. I finally came to grips with the fact it wasn't for me at this time, and as of May of this year I am now doing something more in my wheelhouse and I look forward to "work" again. I learned heaps in that almost 1 year process, about business, the company I work for (which I hold in only the highest regards for allowing me to try something new and come back to a role which is a better fit), and myself. I'm glad I did it, but really glad I am back to a role that fits me better.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Happy Birthday my friend! Thanks so much for helping out the Egg community with your suggestions and supplying us with high quality gaskets :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron, I enjoy your posts and insight and will continue to do so. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Belated Happy Birthday, Ron :) Mondays are the best day of my week - Tues and Wed are the days I dread !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Happy (belated) Birthday,Ron. I wholeheartedly agree.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Happy Birthday. Always enjoy your posts.
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Happy birthday, I don't mind Monday's, I have then off. :-c
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RRP‌ I think ya told me before in a PM. But, I would've never guessed you to be 70. Happy Birthday Sir and to many more :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ I had a Capt (my Skipper) in the Navy that gave a speach at one of my reenlistment ceremonies. I can't possibly quote it word for word but, I'll try.
    When a man is on his deathbed you'll never hear him say I wish I would've worked more, saw my family less, did less fishing, took less romantic getaways with my spouse, loved less, etc. These are the would've could've should've Blues. When it's your time be the man that has no regrets and be the man who enjoyed all that this life offers.
    His speach came from his heart. It was not written down nor was it practiced. He meant it. And now...I do my best to live it. It's a short life we have in this earth why not embrace everything it offers B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Happy b-day Ron, hope they keep on coming.
    Options
    Nicely said young man...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Happy belated Birthday Ron! Thanks for the words of guidance!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Happy birthday Ron, enjoy every day!
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday..Your posts I always read..Have a great week..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Happy birthday Ron.  Thanks for everything you have done to help your fellow eggers!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron. I hope you had a great day. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

Happy birthday Ron-I'm approaching the "every day is Saturday" lifestyle.  I've been told to buy a watch with the day of the week displayed so I can keep track...

Enjoy many more!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron. I retired on my 66th and now have had 4 months of this fantastic life. The only thing I can say is retirement should not be put off. Well, looks like our glass business fully bit the big one. I have given up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Happy Birthday Ron!!  I really appreciate your contribution here. 

As far as retirement, I'm hoping to catch that train in only 41 more years.  Now seeing as how I'm chronologically 4 years behind you on the birthday parade, that may be wishful thinking.  It's definitely been a grand ride so far, and the future still holds lots of great adventures.

I learned this from my dog: Live life like someone left the gate open (and watch out for the cars).  And wrongly attributed to Kurt Vonnegut: always use sunscreen.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    ^:)^

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    To one and all - THANK YOU!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron. I've retired once and have another 15 to go on career 2. I like your "Egg On" expression. Would make for a great sign/shirt/sticker... Keep calm and a Egg on.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • ofcman29
    ofcman29 Posts: 28
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!  I retired after 25 years at one PD and moved on the next day to my second PD.  I am lucky to be only 47 and on my second pension.  Enjoy your ride!  Keep on Eggin.
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm with you Ron. Mondays are now just the day after church day. Retirement is great.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron. Your advice is greatly appreciated here. I have a good 20 years or so until retirement, but I am looking forward to that day! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD