Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook With BBQ GURU - 17 1/2 lb Pork Shoulder

Options
I've had my LBGE going on two years now and felt I paid my dues. It was time to get the electronic control. It came last Friday so I immediately went to Smart and final and got a 17.5 lb, minimally processed, Farmer John Pork Butt. What an experience. Hickory and cherry for smoke. This cook went a total of just under 20 hours, the longest I've ever done. I was afraid of running out of fuel around 15 hours but had slightly over filled the firebox. To my surprise there was fuel to spare after 20 hours. I did not even open the dome until about 18 hours.

The GURU was phenomenal. I set it to go at 220 around 8:30 pm. It was still at 220 during a couple of unscheduled checks overnight and when I got up at 6:00 am. What a joy to get a good nights sleep while this thing diligently monitored and controlled the temp. Even during waking hours it is so easy to raise the temperature just like you would an oven thermostat. (I did start increasing the temperature, eventually to 300, during the last couple of hours). In fact this device lets your EGG maintain a more consistent temperature than your oven in the house. I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story.

While the controller is pricey it looks like it will earn it's pay...  
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Looks amazing! Definitely have to add Guru to my wish list....
    GWN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jfarley‌
    Your food looks great my friend. Congratulations on the guru. Hope you enjoy it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I'm ordering the Party Q with an attachment for my egg and my WSM. I'm planing on just using it on my overnights. I like checking temps, poking stuff with sticks and drinking beer most of the time while I'm cooking and don't like set it and forget it LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    BTW can the more expensive models run two pits at two different temps at the same time?
    Dearborn MI
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i just ordered my Guru yesterday!  I'm pumped.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ken I have never found one that could run 2 pits at once. I use them on both eggs and the meat monster. and yes set them and forget them.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @KenfromMI None of the current Gurus can run more than one pit at a time. The original CyberQ could run two, but the current model does not. However the Stoker from Rocks BBQ can operate multiple pits. I forget the max, but they have port exapnders available and I think six sticks in my head. If you go beyond a certain number of blowers of certain size you needed an upgraded power supply I think.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Thanks, I'm glad I waited to order the Party Q. Just checked the site this morning and they have a brand new totally remodeled system.
    Dearborn MI
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    edited June 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    None of the current Gurus can run more than one pit at a time. 
    Technically that is not 100% true. The BBQ Guru has a blower splitter that can run two fans with one controller. If one wanted to do a lot of racks of ribs on two different eggs, that splitter could come in handy.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @KenfromMI The Stoker can run 2 eggs, each will have separate fire, meat sensors and blowers.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    DMW said:
    Technically that is not 100% true. The BBQ Guru has a blower splitter that can run two fans with one controller. If one wanted to do a lot of racks of ribs on two different eggs, that splitter could come in handy.

The splitter is to drive 2 fans on the same pit. Larger pits such as the Meadowcreek PR series come to mind. They have air inputs on each side. You light the charcoal from each end and let it burn toward the center. You would want both sides to be fanned together.

With 2 separate eggs you would only be able to monitor one of them. If all conditions are identical and you want to run the same temp on both eggs, might be close. Then again, airflow through the lump in one of the eggs might be different because the distribution of large vs small pieces is quite the same. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @KenfromMI The Stoker can run 2 eggs, independent from each other. Uses separate blowers and fire temp sensors.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Pit master IQ ROCKS !!!!!
    Half the price!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Sir SmokeAlot
    Options
    @jfarley: how open did you leave the "petals" at the top. I just finished my first smoke with the guru last week, and though successful, I still struggled with maintaining my desired 225 degree temp from time to time over a 15 hour cook (Butt).
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sir SmokeAlot- Leave the petals all but closed on top. Guru will hold it at + or - 1 degree.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    so are you guys saying that the daisy wheel openings need to be almost completely closed for the guru to work properly?

i've got one coming today and plan to cook brisket tomorrow using it.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    In my experience, DW petals 1/8-1/4 inch open, internal damper on DigiQ blower 1/2 open.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    DMW said:
    r8rs4lf said:
    DMW said:

The splitter is to drive 2 fans on the same pit. Larger pits such as the Meadowcreek PR series come to mind. They have air inputs on each side. You light the charcoal from each end and let it burn toward the center. You would want both sides to be fanned together.

With 2 separate eggs you would only be able to monitor one of them. If all conditions are identical and you want to run the same temp on both eggs, might be close. Then again, airflow through the lump in one of the eggs might be different because the distribution of large vs small pieces is quite the same. :)

I understand that. That's why I used the ribs as an example because most people don't use the temp probe on ribs. We use the bend test.
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    Agree with Scooter759 on the settings. I left my daisy wheel a little more opened than I would have if the Guru was not being used. It's hard to argue about closing it completely if it worked but I believe you need to have some air flow out the top to have a good convection inside the Egg. Having it open a 1/8 to 1/4 inch seemed to do the trick and had no apparent negative effect on the cook. 
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Temperature controllers are the way to go ....I have had my Stoker for a few years and would not do a long slow cook without it, plus I love the fact I can monitor and control the temps remotely by my iPhone or iPad....when my son does long cooks and is not near his iPhone, I monitor his pit from my house.....we have 3 XL Eggs in our family and that means we can cook for some large parties.....thanks Stoker