Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's beer find.

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
Found these cuties today
image.jpg 1022.2K

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Finally have some of this on it's way.  Should be here before weeks end.  Then I'm going to Chicago for a three day Memorial Day Weekend pub crawl.  Can't wait.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Strong work @yemtrey! Is that part of a swap/trade?
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    No.  Just a good friend that was in the area.
    :x
    Steve 

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    I've dreamt of heady topper, had a friend who was going up that why this past weekend. I asked him to get me some, no word yet. How is it?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Finally have some of this on it's way.  Should be here before weeks end.  Then I'm going to Chicago for a three day Memorial Day Weekend pub crawl.  Can't wait.

Lucky.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    I've dreamt of heady topper, had a friend who was going up that why this past weekend. I asked him to get me some, no word yet. How is it?
    Only had it once and was quite impressed.  Finally had a good opportunity to get some and a friend took care of me.  Can't wait to crack the first one open and revisit it.

Next, I have to hold out hope that Three Floyds has Gumballhead, Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught bottles available when I stop on Saturday on my way to Chicago. Gonna be a great weekend with some friends romping around Chicago.  Stops planned so far are: Revolution, Map Room, Piece, Half Acre, Bad Apple, Goose Island and Binny's Clyburn, then whatever we can work in.  Can't wait.
    Steve 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If you don't mind taking suggestions, if/when you get hungry go to Jack Melnick's.  They have a lot of different craft beers (including most of the chicago brewery's) and some of the best wings and burgers in the city.  BBQ isn't bad either.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    Options
    @YEMTrey -- Chicago is awesome, but do yourself the favor of taking the long way and cutting through Michigan.  Michigan beer is better than just about anything.

That said, Three Floyds is pretty awesome too.
    I will never cook inside again.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited May 2014
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Only had it once and was quite impressed.  Finally had a good opportunity to get some and a friend took care of me.  Can't wait to crack the first one open and revisit it.

Next, I have to hold out hope that Three Floyds has Gumballhead, Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught bottles available when I stop on Saturday on my way to Chicago. Gonna be a great weekend with some friends romping around Chicago.  Stops planned so far are: Revolution, Map Room, Piece, Half Acre, Bad Apple, Goose Island and Binny's Clyburn, then whatever we can work in.  Can't wait.
    If you stop at Floyd's, the carry-out at the brewpub has 2 of the 3 you mentioned, but Zombie Dust appears to be sold out right now. There's a huge demand for it.

They do have Zombie dust on tap, as well as about 16 of their other brews. Just now I see they are offering 1 called Permanent Funeral at 10.4% abv. The food is really good too, much better than most restaurants.

The place is a gas, and often jammed. Its stuck away at the back of a small industrial park. Do have a designated driver. Traffic at the south end of Chicagoland is intense. Portions of the expressway are 16 lanes wide, and sometimes full. The Dan Ryan is always insane, at least to me, who rarely drives almost bumper to bumper at 70.
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    @saluki2007, funny you mention that. Just discovered this place on my last trip. Love Jake Melnicks.  Took my wife and daughter to Chicago over Valentine's Day weekend and discovered this place.  Great food, and great beer selection.  It's a must stop when I'm in town with the family.

@senorHuevo, think I'm heading to Michigan in June. Probably the 19th or so.  Haven't been up there in about 5 years.  Contemplating the drive to Short's, but probably won't do it.  Definitely adding Dark Horse to this next trip. Usually head up through Ann Arbor, then swing over to Bells and up to Founders.  On the way back spend a day in the Detroit burbs hanging with some friends.

@qdenby, thanks for the advice.  I've been going to Three Floyds since Dark Lord day '07, with many trips in between those visits.  I did discover on my last trip in February, it's much better to hit Three Floyds on the way in to town, so you don't have to take the Skyway in and pay all those damn tolls. Can head west then take 90/94 in.
    I've been all over the country hitting brewpubs, and of all of them, Three Floyds and Russian River rank as my personal favorites. 

I think a Chicago area Eggfest/CraftBeerFest would be a great idea.  The two seem to be married at the hip and go together so well. 
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Oh, and if any locals are interested.  I can post where we'll be each day if you're interested in coming along for some beers.
    Steve 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    New Holland brewery has some pretty good stuff. 'Bout 50 miles from Kalamazoo. Bell's Eccentric Cafe has gotten pretty classy. Some of the old funk is still there, but if the woodwork is any indication, Mr. Bell has done quite well over the years.

There's a newish place in the So. West region, so called harbor country. Its Green Bush, in Sawyer, just off I-94. I think over-all the beer is above average for craft, and the food is decent. 
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Thanks for that info.  I'll add Bells back to the list.  Last time I was there several years back was on a friday night and there was a live band in there and I could barely make it in the door.  No problem if that's what they do, just not entirely what I was expecting when walking into a brewpub.
    I need to get some Black Note, that's avoided me somehow.

Thanks for Green Bush tip.  Will definitely look that one up.
    Steve 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    @saluki2007, funny you mention that. Just discovered this place on my last trip. Love Jake Melnicks.  Took my wife and daughter to Chicago over Valentine's Day weekend and discovered this place.  Great food, and great beer selection.  It's a must stop when I'm in town with the family.

@senorHuevo, think I'm heading to Michigan in June. Probably the 19th or so.  Haven't been up there in about 5 years.  Contemplating the drive to Short's, but probably won't do it.  Definitely adding Dark Horse to this next trip. Usually head up through Ann Arbor, then swing over to Bells and up to Founders.  On the way back spend a day in the Detroit burbs hanging with some friends.

@qdenby, thanks for the advice.  I've been going to Three Floyds since Dark Lord day '07, with many trips in between those visits.  I did discover on my last trip in February, it's much better to hit Three Floyds on the way in to town, so you don't have to take the Skyway in and pay all those damn tolls. Can head west then take 90/94 in.
    I've been all over the country hitting brewpubs, and of all of them, Three Floyds and Russian River rank as my personal favorites. 

I think a Chicago area Eggfest/CraftBeerFest would be a great idea.  The two seem to be married at the hip and go together so well. 
    I would be interested and could contribute a small egg to the cause.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Found these cuties today
    Yeah man! Eddie approved!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Just got confirmation that my Heady's are on their way!  Gonna be a very good beer weekend with that and the trip to Chicago! 

My local store started carrying kegs of beer and is stocking Ballast Point Sculpin sixtels.  Might be time to get that kegerator for the house!!!
    Steve 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Just had
    yesterday, I enjoyed it. I'm not drinking again until Sunday, but then I'll be having a blue Chimay. I've been drinking less because I've been signing up for on call.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Love the Stone brews - I bet that Smoked Porter is ridiculous.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have had Heady (went to the brewery) and it is excellent.  A more available brew that I think tastes like Heady is Gandhi-Bot from New England Brewing.  You will probably need to make friends with your beer retailer to get a heads-up when it comes in as it sells out here in a day with a 1 4-pack limit.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Agreed.  That's another one on the list I would like to try.
    Steve 

• saluki2007
    Options
    @Yemtrey  Have you ever tried any Allagash brews?  It's actually brewed in Maine, but the only place I have seen it is in Chicago.  The white is my favorite.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    BYS1981 I love Stone brews, but have not seen that one.  Is it new?  I tried the new Go To IPA over the weekend.  Not bad, but a little to fruity IMHO for an IPA.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YEMTrey
    Options
    @saluki2007, yes.  Allagash used to distribute to Cincinnati.  Their Curieux and Odyssey beers are really good.
    I was just talking to one of my buddy's going to Chicago with me this weekend, mentioning that they have Allagash available in Chicago.  See the white on at a lot of places via beermenu's.com

May bring back a bottle of Curieux with me if I can find one at Binny's.
    Steve