Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best replacement gasket

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What difference does the gasket make? Eating grilled food, with or without a gasket, is reported to cause cancer, ya know?

Other things that are gonna kill you...
    Sodium
    Saturated fat
    Cholesterol
    Sugar
    Carbs THESE 2 ARE THE SAME THING
    Trans fat
    The list goes on.

Any of you worriers consume any of that stuff? The gasket's the least of your worries.
    Everything on this listed its required to live, except what I redacted. I don't eat those. It's the "excess" thing that is the issue.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @bicktrav

The Rutland fiberglass contamination ingested, if any, is the least of your worries.

Toxic Gases
    (irritant, acute toxicity)
    examples:
    Carbon monoxide
    Ammonia
    Nitrogen dioxide
    Sulfur dioxide

VOCs (C2-C7)
    (Irritant, possibly carcinogenic)
    examples;
    Methyl chloride
    Methylene chloride

Mono-aromatics
    (Irritant, carcinogenic, mutagenic)
    examples:
    Benzene
    Styrene

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) 
    (carcinogenic, mutagenic, immunotoxic)
    examples:
    Benzo[163]pyrene
    Dibenz[a,h]anthracene

Phenols
    (danger too numerous to list)
    examples:
    Catechol
    Cresol (methyl phenols)

Quinones
    (stay the hell away from these bastards!)
    examples:
    Hydroquinone
    Fluorenone
    Anthraquinone

Plus bonus compounds including heavy metals, arsenic, lead, chromium.

Don't even get me started on the chlorinated dioxins.

If you eat charcoal cooked food, you are certainly going to die.  (of course, that isn't to say if you're alive, you are inevitably going to die anyway).  So live a little.

Options
    I feel bad for all you haterz. I'm still rolling with the OG gasket and cruising strong. Whoop Whoop!
    where did you source it? O.G. Supply and Cotronics make pretty much the same stuff, the way I understand it. I was planning on picking up a Cotronics when my Nomex packed it in, but it still seems to have lots of life in it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @skiddymarker, I sourced it directly from BGE . So directly, it came with the Egg!

/By OG I meant Original Gangsta gasket.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @nolaegghead - You're quite persuasive.  Point taken.
    Southern California
  • Alexander12
    Alexander12 Posts: 10
    Options
    Got my rutland from @RRP

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @skiddymarker, I sourced it directly from BGE . So directly, it came with the Egg! /By OG I meant Original Gangsta gasket.
    @Eggcelsior - Hey man, I'm an old out of touch retired fossil, took my engineering degree by candle light, did not get the OG reference. Great thing about this place, always something to learn. Have heard the current BGE gaskets are Nomex, but don't have any first hand experience. If they are anything like the High-Q they are great.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    How long does a Rutland usually last? Are they fairly easy to install?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Years, unlike the felt and Nomex (both organic), they are made from fiberglass.

They are very easy to install.  Easier than felt or Nomex because you only install one gasket on one hemisphere of the egg.
    Options

One of mine is now 9 years old and it gets regular use. Not difficult to install once you get the hang of it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Pretty much forever. The one on my wood stove has been there 7 years and it sees temps much higher than my egg for much longer burns. Fairly simple to install, from all accounts on this forum it is quite doable. Also seems to be installed only on the base or dome - does not need to be on both. 
    Not as simple as the High-Q Nomex which is peel and stick to a cleaned base/dome. 
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    Awesome. I think I'm gonna go ahead a replace my nomex with this.