Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few more cooks under the belt

Options
boostfed
boostfed Posts: 63
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I've been fairly swamped at work and haven't had a huge chance to cook on the egg as much as I'd like, to be honest I feel like I'm letting it slip a little ( and it'll show in my cooks). Here's just a quick update on the last couple of cooks.

Last weekend had a few friends over so I decided to get some pork spare's on. They were fairly skinny spares and not the meatiest or thickets cuts but I got them anyway ( keep in mind my first time). Got them trimmed up and did one with good ol S&P and the other with some Dizzy Dust. I decided to go with the KISS method (255 untouched all the way through)... but i left them too long and they dried out a bit, I'll have to test them more next time and keep a better eye on them, the outter spares ended up over cooking but the middle spares were tasty! For some reason the meat didn't pull back from the bones much so maybe they had lower fat content(??)

The weekend after I was supposed to do a butt and some cazzy wings, but again got caught up with work and had to push the butt to the side... ended up getting home with enough time to throw on some @cazzy wings , luckily I had them marinating in the fridge, added a couple minced cloves of garlic and man these things were tasty, left them on the grill a little longer to char them up a little, these things were sticky goodness!

Next day finally got to get a break from work and threw on the butt I had waiting. The turbo cook went over a little longer, had a nice 20lb bag of Royal Oak but as I got to the second half of the bag it was ALL just pebble sized pieces... ugh, ended up burning way too fast. Hopefully the next bag wont be like that, the top portion of the bag had such good sized chunks. Anyway, here's some pics of the turbo butt, very tasty,not as moist as I'd have liked it but it was still good, better than the restaurants at least.

Thats it up until now, hopefully i get some more time to play with the thing and learn a little more about the quirks of my BGE, I've learned that every one is different and dialing in temp is always a tad unique compared to others.

Happy egging everyone!

Bonus pics of the egg smoking away in the rain, pegged at 255 !! really is amazing.
Got a cover from amazon and it works awesome... when its on :) but i really wanted ribs

And a pic of the old BGE buddy, patiently waiting to watch us eat, HAHA

Comments

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    It all looks good. Nice pics. I hear you about getting caught up at work. Happens to me all the time. I mainly do a lot of chicken on the egg, or turbo ribs. It takes less time, and I like the results.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @boostfed‌
    That's some awesome looking food there my friend. Looks like you are gifted with a camera as well. I can sympathize with the work situation. I have been working long odd shifts for almost three months. I haven't even seen my egg in this time frame. Again your food and pics look fantastic brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    Options
    @sgh and @Tackman Thanks ! work is work.... i'll be working the next few holidays as well, glad I got the egg , heh.

As far as the pictures they're all cell phone pictures :) I've had experience with digital photography but phones these days make it so much easier than breaking out the camera bag and gear, let alone post processing... technology these days.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great looking cooks man! :-bd and cooking in the rain...been there done that (gotta do whatcha gotta do). B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks like some great eats!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe