Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

Options
Making a 16 lb boneless rib roast for Easter. Was planning on 285 at the grid until around 120 internal and then searing.  Any thoughts on approximate time to get to 120?  Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Check out the Amazing Ribs site for a huge amount of info on making a wow rib roast...

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

The recommended time/temp is in there somewhere.  I know that only the diameter of your roast will determine cook time, and not length.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    There are some good links and info in this thread running down the page:
    First Beef Rib Roast Should help you out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited April 2014
    Options

20 Minutes per pound would be my guess.

This is how I did the last 10 pounder, lower temp so it was closer to 30 minutes per pound

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

20 Minutes per pound would be my guess.

This is how I did the last 10 pounder, lower temp so it was closer to 30 minutes per pound

Since they get (mostly) longer as they get bigger, instead of wider, I wouldn't think the cooking time would increase at the same rate as the weight of the meat.  It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at most to get to temp.

The article linked above is very helpful - in fact, I was reading it this morning.
    NOLA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am doing a 16 pounder tomorrow as well I figure 20 minutes per pound but will be pulling at 120 to rest. I plan on searing first at 600 then bringing it down to 250 dome. How are you going to rub or season yours?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    If no one else responds I may can point you in the right direction if you are interested.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    Options
    SGH said:
    @JRWhitee‌ If no one else responds I may can point you in the right direction if you are interested.
    I was just going to go simple, kosher salt, pepper and garlic cloves stuffed into the roast. Cook indirect at around 250 over a raised drip pan. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    If you going to sear then the simpler the better because your spice will just burn away during the sear. I salt only in the beginning then add what spices I want when the internal hit about 100. As such they won't cook away and you will still see there benefit. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SGH said:
    @JRWhitee‌ If no one else responds I may can point you in the right direction if you are interested.
    I was just going to go simple, kosher salt, pepper and garlic cloves stuffed into the roast. Cook indirect at around 250 over a raised drip pan. 
    @SPRIGS - 285º is too hot IMHO. 
    @JRWhitee No precook sear required, suggest target temp in the 225-250ºF range. Like your choice of seasoning, let the meat speak for itself. It is the overall cross section that determines cook time, not the length. Most are done in 2 to 2-1/2 hours (IT of 125º). If you like the idea of crust, reverse sear will give you what you want. Suggest you rest the roast on a rack, you will lose much less juice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks @sprigs and @skiddymarker, I will go with 225 dome then. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Cory,

Are you open to another suggestion? Since your prime rib is such a large piece it will be difficult to get the center cooked without having the ends and outermost parts well done if not charred. What I prefer to do is hot tub the whole thing inside a food safe plastic bag submersed in hot tap water in a sealed cooler for at least 90 minutes. By then your center should already be reading around 95 to 100 degrees before it even goes on your egg! The results will be like this where there is no cold blueish-red rare center! Good luck!

Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you going to sear then the simpler the better because your spice will just burn away during the sear. I salt only in the beginning then add what spices I want when the internal hit about 100. As such they won't cook away and you will still see there benefit. Hope this helps my friend.
    Thanks @SGH

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    You are more than welcome.

Status- Standing by.