Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped tater tots

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    I love bacon and tater tots to say the least. Can't believe I never thought of putting the two together. Thanks for sharing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh yeah! This has @Griffin written all over it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    Options
    The one change I would make is that the recipe says to cut the bacon in quarters but when they cooked I found that the bacon ended up being to shrinking so much that the tots didn't stay wrapped.  I will do it in thirds next time.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• SGH
    Options
    @JenGang‌
    This is on the top of my to try list. Again thanks for sharing young lady.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    those are very good, did them a while back on my egg. its about time to do them again
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SGH
    Options
    Wonder how they would be deep fried? Any one tried that before ?

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Options
    I think the brown sugar would burn of you deep fried them.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• SGH
    Options
    We could omit the sugar. Think I'm going to get my wife to try it. Will let you know how it turns out.

Status- Standing by.

• JenGang
    Options
    @Tjcoley those look amazing!  I'll have to try those soon!  My sister will be in town for our daughters graduation party in June and I said that we were going to have "bacon fest".  I'm going to do ABT, bacon shots and the bacon wrapped tots.  Now I'll have to add the sweet potato tots to the list!  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    DMW said:
    Oh yeah! This has @Griffin written all over it.

It would, but alas tots are no longer on the diet. Or taters at all. I have done those in the past. Pretty tasty. I think I cut the bacon in 1/3s and might have nuked it in the microwave for 30 secs to a minute to get a jump start on the bacon. Put some kind of Dizzy Pig rub on it if memory serves me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I did bacon wrapped tater tots a few months back and they turned out great. The easiest way I found to wrap the bacon around the tater tots was to:

1. Lay a strip of bacon out flat on the cutting board
    2. Roll 1 tater tot until it was completely wrapped
    3. Take a knife and cut the bacon where the tater tot ended after it was rolled up
    4. Put toothpick through the center of tater tot to hold
    5. Repeat on that slice of bacon until used up (typically got 3 tots per slice of bacon)

Also added some Dizzy Dust (or any pork rub you like) before they went on - as @Griffin mentioned above. Thought about adding a brushing of bbq sauce towards the end, but instead left them as is - might try that next time. Here they are cooking over some wings and ABTs:

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA