Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Q Joints

Options
There are, of course, a bunch of 'em. Honey Monk's (Lexington), Hursey's (Burlington), Wilbur's (Goldsboro), Ralph's (Weldon), B's (Greenville), Skylight Inn (Ayden). I''ve been to some of these, not all. My favorite is Wilbur's. Been a while though.  Used to like DW's (Darwin Waters) and Happy's in Greenville, but I think both are long gone. DW's was a garage. You could sit on a stack of truck tires when you ordered. Happy's was a Sanitation Grade C pool hall that I think they finally shut down. Found a Band-Aid in my Q once. Hahaha! Loved it though. Greasiest fries I EVER had!

Got a favorite?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• EggSpinner
    Options
    Smiley's in Lexington, NC is one of my favorites.  Honey Monk's (lexington bbq) is at the top of the list as well.  Is Wilbur's in Burlington?  Thinking I have been there but it has been a while.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As far as I know, Wilbur's is in Goldsboro only. The only one I've tried in Burlington is Hursey's.

Trouble with Goldsboro is, it's not on the way to ANYWHERE! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    As far as I know, Wilbur's is in Goldsboro only. The only one I've tried in Burlington is Hursey's.

Trouble with Goldsboro is, it's not on the way to ANYWHERE! :)
    I'm trying to map it out for the way down to my parent's place in Myrtle Beach. It'll have to be a REALLY scenic trip through Wilmington or 117 to 701.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options

I love Honey Monks and Wilber's, probably my two favorite from the disciplines East and West. I always enjoyed these videos of the North Carolina Barbecue Trail.

Part #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQllZciurzM

Part #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vIKSdbwcA

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Smokinpig
    edited April 2014
    Options

The audio is challenging on these but interesting look at Lexington. Barbecue center is often overlooked since it is so close to Honey Monks but it is good. Wilbers is in Goldsboro, bought my first car a mile away and had Wilbers after to celebrate.

Part #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526CyDo5wVk

Part #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546wgoC60Cc

I also would recommend this book Holy Smoke.

http://uncpress.unc.edu/HolySmoke/ 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I'm trying to map it out for the way down to my parent's place in Myrtle Beach. It'll have to be a REALLY scenic trip through Wilmington or 117 to 701.
    LOL, been there, done that. Like I said, not on the way to anywhere. Good Q though. If you have the time, do it! And bring a cooler so you can bring some to your parents!!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's more doable than Scott's in Hemingway. I saw an article stating that it was just outside MB. When I checked, its about 1.5 hours away. I might as well go down to Charleston.
  • Smokinpig
    Options

That reminds me of the other Scott's which is no longer around (I think it burned down) but they still make sauce and it is hot stuff, eastern NC sauce. I have seen it at whole foods in GA so maybe nationwide?!?!

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wilber's used to be awesome- they bought into their own hype and service and food quality have suffered in my opinion. I think b's is really good and so is ken's grill (in between Goldsboro and Kinston). Haven't been to kens in a couple years though.
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Q-shack in Durham has Texas-style Q - good place. And then there is Allen and Son out in the middle of the woods near Chapel Hill for NC style.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Wilber's used to be awesome- they bought into their own hype and service and food quality have suffered in my opinion. I think b's is really good and so is ken's grill (in between Goldsboro and Kinston). Haven't been to kens in a couple years though.
    Sorry to hear that about Wilbur's. I haven't been there in a few years. I wish B's had existed when I was in Greenville. Not familiar with Ken's.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Going to Charlotte next week...any reccomendations there?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Charlotte is tough. If you have time you could cut over to Red Bridges in Shelby.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options

Allen & Sons outside Chapel Hill can be extraordinary, although have had a couple meals where the pork was overcooked.  Can also recommend Moore's in New Bern.  Bryan

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Parker's in Wilson can be very good.  We sometimes pick up several pints of Nahunta at their store in Pikesville or at the farmer's market in Raleigh for distribution to family in Virginia who need a NC BBQ fix.  The Pikesville Store also has excellent frozen butter beans, six week peas, etc.   My brother-in-law highly recommends Skylight Inn in Ayden, although I have yet to try it.   Bryan
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Don't forget The Pitt in downtown Raleigh!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Smokinpig
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Here is the BBQ society trail. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html And another good resource http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Options
    12 Bones in Asheville is at the top of my list. Excellent meat and sides. Love the Collard greens.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Mac's speed shop.  Their brisket is very different from what you'll usually find, but quite good IMO.  Plus it's just a cool place with all the bikers and beer.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don't forget The Pitt in downtown Raleigh!
    They opened up a shop in Durham this past year.  I've been once and was underwhelmed.  Maybe I just caught them on an off day or it's just not as good as the joint in Raleigh, because I've heard nothing but great things about the latter.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Heading over to B's right now. Just happened to be in the area when this post came up!!
  • fusionhq
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed your lunch! I was last in Greenville about ten years before B's opened! LOL

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    Options
    We need the lunch pics!

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• fusionhq
    Options
    I took one, but it was super blurry...The pork was Xcelent! The chicken was OK. Their sauce was very good too.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mac's speed shop.  Their brisket is very different from what you'll usually find, but quite good IMO.  Plus it's just a cool place with all the bikers and beer.  
    Macs brisket is different in that it is under seasoned and dry. That place was great when it opened 5 years ago but a new owner a few years back didn't do it any favors. 

I agree that BBQ Center in Lexington is very under rated and usually overlooked. I think it is excellent and where a lot of my buddies (locals) hold court during the week. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I will also mention Woodlands in Blowing Rock. Pretty good pulled (rare in NC) pork and a great experience. Pulled chicken is good too. Live bluegrass music many nights. Worth the effort. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Options

None. It's been a while, but I used to live in Charlotte. Had inlaws there too, so visited even when I no longer lived there. Unless it has changed, Charlotte HAS NO BARBECUE. The stuff I can get up here is better than anything I could get there. And what I can get here SUCKS. The only place I remember in the Queen City is Sonny's and it was awful!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Go grab a burger from Bad Daddy's.
    Greensboro, NC