Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a warning

Options
I was on the old forum for a while. There were a lot of accusations about it being cliquey. It was not, at least whilst I was involved. What it was was folks got to meet each other at fests and quickly became friends. I would hate to see that repeated here. Get out to some fests folks. Then we can all be friends.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Plus 1. And it sure was not Fri & Sat in Salado.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Best thing we ever did was to get out and meet and cook. Not a clique in sight on Saturday, lots of friendly people, big green eggs and great food.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Is there a centralized list of all 2014 Eggfests? I was just telling my kid about the Salado festival and wished we could have made it down.

Are there any kids at these events, or is it pretty adult-oriented?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Totally family friendly. It's like a family reunion where everyone actually gets along.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Is there a centralized list of all 2014 Eggfests? I was just telling my kid about the Salado festival and wished we could have made it down. Are there any kids at these events, or is it pretty adult-oriented?
    I apologize for having to refer you to the other forum but it is the only place I know how to tell you to see the list.  At the top of greeneggers.com there is a tab that says Events. Click on that and it will show you the eggfests. I am mentioning this because in two weeks there is one in Athens, Texas that is very child friendly.  It is held at the Texas Fisheries. They provide fishing poles and bait and the kids love it. There is also a huge aquarium where a diver goes down and shows them each fish and what they eat. Come on down and join us.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Foghorn and his son rocked the place last year. His son is a shrimp wrapping machine.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Miss Judy. I was just going to do that. Wonderful to see you again. Glad you guys made it home safely. (That wasn't cliquey was it darlin?)
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    And thus I signed up for Eggfest TO.  Figured it would be a good way to learn a lot and meet some great people.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    SaltySam said:

Is there a centralized list of all 2014 Eggfests? I was just telling my kid about the Salado festival and wished we could have made it down.

Are there any kids at these events, or is it pretty adult-oriented?

I wouldn't have my kid after 10 Pm at the Salado after party....or around Steven after 1pm
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    Is there a centralized list of all 2014 Eggfests? I was just telling my kid about the Salado festival and wished we could have made it down. Are there any kids at these events, or is it pretty adult-oriented?
    I wouldn't have my kid after 10 Pm at the Salado after party....or around Steven after 1pm
    Yeah but your kids are older

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Hen
    Options
    Miss Judy. I was just going to do that. Wonderful to see you again. Glad you guys made it home safely. (That wasn't cliquey was it darlin?)
    B-)
    I'll clique with you anytime, my love.  So nice seeing you again too. Hope Norma had a good time. I wish I had time to visit with her more.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    She is going to book for next year tomorrow. She had a great time even though she didn't attend the actual fest part. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Options
    Make sure she brings her spill proof sippy cup.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Make sure she brings her spill proof sippy cup.
    There was only one way the juice was getting out of that cup.......through the straw.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    @henapple, wasn't it you that promised a male only wet t-shirt contest? Did I miss it?
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    Options
    Centex said "no man boobs".
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    Centex said "no man boobs".
    No moobs, eh?  Well, I guess I'm out.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    SaltySam said:

In addition to the Greeneggers site, you can check out the BGE site at: http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/

Perhaps Norfolk, NE (April 26) is within range for you...
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I was on the old forum for a while. There were a lot of accusations about it being cliquey. It was not, at least whilst I was involved. What it was was folks got to meet each other at fests and quickly became friends. I would hate to see that repeated here. Get out to some fests folks. Then we can all be friends.

I agree with this and your concern. I get to BGE fests 2 or 3 times per year. The friendships and camaraderie are wonderful and all in the BGE way. When we communicate about the outing, jesting, personal and other tomfoolery we keep it between ourselves via pm's, not on a pubic forum where others don't understand what is going on and cannot join in and contribute to the topic. Clique-e not entirely, but getting there.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Foghorn and his son rocked the place last year. His son is a shrimp wrapping machine.

And next year he will also be my designated driver - so he is not exactly a small child.  In fact, it's fair to say that of the two of us, he is the more mature one and he keeps me out of trouble. 

With that being said, @SaltySam, we met @Mickey's grandkids at the pre-party last year and they seemed to enjoy it for a while.  The fest itself is kid friendly, but not exactly for kids if that makes sense.  The afterparty is where a bunch of middle-aged men act like teenagers....

It sounds like the Athens fest steps it up a notch where the kids are concerned.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Options
    @Spring Hen‌ ...no need to apologize. An egger is an egger.

I don't think it's a clique. You just have to jump in. I usually only Pm someone when it's deemed too nasty to post ...or when talking about @Little Steven
  • Spring Hen
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Spring Hen‌ ...no need to apologize. An egger is an egger. I don't think it's a clique. You just have to jump in. I usually only Pm someone when it's deemed too nasty to post ...or when talking about @Little Steven
    Oh, don't do that....I love talking about Little Steven.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Spring Hen‌ ...no need to apologize. An egger is an egger. I don't think it's a clique. You just have to jump in. I usually only Pm someone when it's deemed too nasty to post ...or when talking about @Little Steven
    you have a filter??? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    You have no idea...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @SaltySam Toronto fest is very kid friendly, I believe the same magician and clown lady show up every year to entertain kids and adults alike ... and kids 12 and under get in free.

canuckland
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

From last year:

Family fun even for big bastids like me in addition to great food and of course beer.

Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm trying... but I'm at a point where traveling is not likely, even the close fests seem far with my little ones. Not to mention newborn any day now. One day soon!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That second shot has one wild clown.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Little Steven‌ I haven't been to a fest yet. That being said, from all the photo ops I've seen thus far they certainly appear worthy of a good time. Perhaps next year me and the SWMBO can attend a FL fest.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL