Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Fried Steak. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! help please

Options
Ladies & Gents, for those of you that have never heard of or tasted CFS some of you may be thinking WTH. Well I'm here to confess to the world that I'm a CFS junkie fo' sho'. Love to cook it but preparing it is a ton of fun as well because I can have some fun  making a great pepper gravy or a nice roux.

My victim is usually a  thin sliced round or sirloin steak that I have tenderized with a needle type tenderizer as well as kitchen mallet with the raised points.Last night I took half of a 1 1/2 lb. round steak and needled the heck out of it and then gave it a gooding pounding with my mallet  and into the pan it went.

Delicious ! mmmmmm yum. Which brings  us to my dilemma. Try as I might my CFSs are just not as fork tender as those in my favorite little diner.

TIME TO GET SERIOUS !!!! Got the other half of the steak out of the fridge and needled the crap out of it then grabbed the mallet and went caveman on it while thinking of my ex- wife and her mother. I'm tellin' ya, I beat that steak into submission. Worked out some pent up aggression in the process.

Threw it into the CI skillet with a wicked grin on my face a waited for perfection. NADA. Not much difference. Tender but not the way I had anticipated the outcome would be. Grrrrrrr.

Suggestions ? Thoughts?  Looking for seriously butter soft tender CFS. Meat tenderizer in a shaker ??

TIA, Denny

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive seen something called a meat cuber at cabellas . wonder if thats what you need. im sure they make a cheaper one

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Every recipe I've seen for CFS has used bottom round. Never made it or tried it but looked at a bunch of recipes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Bet your favourite little diner cuts the steaks with the grain, rather than across the grain. Bottom round steaks are typically cut across the grain. When you lay the steak on the prep board the fibres in the meat are oriented vertically. If you Jaccard this steak, the needles will be tenderizing (or attempting to tenderize) a fibre oriented the same as the needle. Pounding with a mallet merely bends these fibres over like a miss hit nail. 
    For CFS, buy a roast, bottom round is best, but top round or baron of beef will do. Slice 1/2" thick steaks lengthwise with the grain. This is 90º different than what we normally do. Now Jaccard and mallet if you want. I usually find my 45 blade Jaccard, done from both sides reduces the steak to about 1/4" thick and once floured and fried, the texture is the way I like it. Try it. 

EDIT - Make sure the blades of the Jaccard are cutting the fibres, that is orient the Jaccard at 90º to the grain of the meat.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hardboiled329
    Options
    Every recipe I've seen for CFS has used bottom round. Never made it or tried it but looked at a bunch of recipes.
    Yup, using bottom round.
  • Hardboiled329
    Options

For CFS, buy a roast, bottom round is best, but top round or baron of beef will do. Slice 1/2" thick steaks lengthwise with the grain. This is 90º different than what we normally do.Try it. 

Will ask my butcher to cut as you suggest. I believe in asian cultures they cut  that way. Korean Bulgogi  is cut like   that and is very, very tender
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

For CFS, buy a roast, bottom round is best, but top round or baron of beef will do. Slice 1/2" thick steaks lengthwise with the grain. This is 90º different than what we normally do.Try it. 

Will ask my butcher to cut as you suggest. I believe in asian cultures they cut  that way. Korean Bulgogi  is cut like   that and is very, very tender
    You are right, I think. You can do it yourself, but your butcher might do a better job, mine sure is better at it than I am!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can also use a meat tenderizer like papaya or an MSG product

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The best I've had is chicken fried chicken. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Good information on this thread. I love Chicken Fried Steak! I could never match my mother's that she cooked way back when. Those were the days when they used lard rather than oil.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Use cube steak. It's REALLY tenderized bottom round.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Check out cooks illustrated, I just had their CFS, it was delicious, gravy was meh.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I take mine and tenderize it and then toss in butter milk for the day. Seems tender every time. That's how I was taught from my grandmother.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Hardboiled329
    Options
    Use cube steak. It's REALLY tenderized bottom round.
    Yup !!!  Someday I'll get off my tight ol' a$$ and buy a cuber for my 3/4HP LEM grinder. $250ish.

Just wrapped up a grand in a crossbow and ass't accessories.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Like Dad said, "shut up and eat".
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    1+ TUTTLE871, buttermilk soak was the way I was taught too. Always render.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

TUTTLE871 said:
    I take mine and tenderize it and then toss in butter milk for the day.
    I us whole milk.Seems to work just as well if you dont have butter milk.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    You don't need to buy Buttermilk use can use this as a substitute. I use this all the time. Preparation: 1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. 2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. 3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SGH said:

TUTTLE871 said:
    I take mine and tenderize it and then toss in butter milk for the day.
    I us whole milk.Seems to work just as well if you dont have butter milk.
    @Hardboiled329 - Forgot all about asking how long you milk marinate, it is important. Many folks add some acid, lemon juice, to their milk marinade, making a home made substitute for buttermilk. The acid in the milk seems to help tenderize and create texture in the meat. Marinate after mechanically tenderizing. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's one we do a couple of times a year and it uses filets. No tenderizing needed. You can cut these with a fork and the gravy is awesome.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @billyray thanks for the link, bookmarked

1+ TUTTLE871, buttermilk soak was the way I was taught too. Always render.  Should read always tender not render:\">
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx